Any DAWs which can host VSTs in Rewire-Slave-Mode?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fisto

Any DAWs which can host VSTs in Rewire-Slave-Mode?

Post by fisto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Reaper can host VSTs in rewire-slave-mode but I get a distorted sound (from Reaper) every time when hitting play in Live. So i always have to stop and restart playing, then distortion is not there anymore. Quite annoying.
I've started to use reaper as Vst-host as it is very light on the CPU, but main reason was to overcome the instability of Live when you come near the 2,5GB Ram-usage. Then it starts to get unresponsive and not snappy anymore, although I have Win7x64 with 8GB Ram.

Does anybody know a solution? I'd like to use reaper, but how to remove the crackling, I've already tried it with bigger samplebuffer etc......
How do you overcome the 2,5 GB Ram-border in Live?

Thanks

broc

Re: Any DAWs which can host VSTs in Rewire-Slave-Mode?

Post by broc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:08 pm

You could try using 'Plogue Bidule'. It's not a DAW but I think it does what you want.

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Thanks, i have searched the net for solutions and it seems that bidule is the right one. I've installed it already but it doesn't show up as rewire-device in L8. Is there some dll to copy somewhere on win7?
Thanks

broc

Post by broc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Make sure to have ReWire enabled in Bidule preferences.

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 pm

It is enabled. I can slave Live to Bidule but not Bidule to Live. Also not rewire-able to reaper.
Hmmmmm

broc

Post by broc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Wait.. perhaps ReWire must be *disabled* for using Bidule as ReWire slave (?)
Last edited by broc on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks for the hints :-)

broc

Post by broc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:15 pm

You're welcome.
Please let us know how it works for you in practice.

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

so, it's working now. Already hosted a VST in Bidule with Live as master. So far, so good.
Now I got to figure out how to modulate Synth-parameters from bidule. Thinking about LFOs and envelopes.

Next thing: does anyone know a way how to send MIDI CCs from Live to a virtual midi-port (which then goes to Bidule) without m4l? There is no external MIDI-FX-Rack. I'd like to have the parameter automation in Live, makes it easier for deleting, copying time. I've added an external instrument which makes adding FX to the Bidule-hosted VSTs easier and more built in in Live.

But Bidule seems pretty stable and now I've got 2 more gigs of Ram available when Live-ing :wink:
Cool!

broc

Post by broc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Do you mean sending CCs by tweaking some knob in Live, like on a Midi controller?

fisto

Post by fisto » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:25 pm

exactly. I want to tell live which cc on which channel and which midi-out, and then control this with a knob in ableton.
A workaround is to make a midi-channel, set the output to MidiYoke 1 and then record the controller-movement of the physical midi controller. This you can then map to any parameter in Bidule. The downside of this is, you can't view the automation-lane. It's only in the clip-envelope and that is not so handy for working.