TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:20 am

Astounding.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:21 am

just went and picked up an ipad.all i can say is wow! so... whens the first update anyways? :wink:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:24 am

I never doubted you, boys. Oh sure, I had to crack the whip once or twice, but that's to be expected.

And, of course, when Stevie J. and I were playing golf last Saturday I told him to get a fucking move on with the approval process and he got right on that.

And. Well. Here we are. You can thank me later.

In the meantime....

ddavi78

Post by ddavi78 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:27 am

Outstanding app!! Thanks

Regards,
ddavi78

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:34 am

@LSZ You do realize this app is going to lead to the creation of more dub step, right?

I'm going to hold my applause until I get it to actually work.

Interesting how people on here with very little post counts felt the release of this app was worth posting something. Obviously Ableton is no longer capable of that kind of inspiration on their own. Good luck with The Bridge. :P

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:33 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I never doubted you, boys. Oh sure, I had to crack the whip once or twice, but that's to be expected.

And, of course, when Stevie J. and I were playing golf last Saturday I told him to get a fucking move on with the approval process and he got right on that.

In the meantime....

We never doubt about you LSZ, we knew your that your network might help us. But please can you ask Steevie to allow developers to use the USB dock connector and to stop these ridiculous iphone/ipad human interface rules? Big hug to you both. thanks for your collaboration and your help, the vapourware rumour had good effect on our sales!

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:50 am

Hey, well done on the app so far! I have a few things to add that are hopefully useful from my first outing with it.

1) There's clip stop, global clip stop... transport stop..? That's really necessary I think.
2) The 3rd track's header is a little lower graphically than it's colleagues, a little misaligned is all.
3) I couldn't get the device power buttons to work - they'd switch everything off but not back on? Maybe that's a setup error on my part
4) It'd be useful to have the device parameters show actual values rather than percentages.
5) Some of the arrow buttons for things are a little puzzling, I guess that'll be sorted with the manual though!
6) The app allows the ipad to go to sleep. Nooo...!

I think I'm going to prefer LiveControl for mixing and arranging, it's mixer page is a little less frenetic and has what I need laid out on 1 page (mute, solo, faders, and transport). But finding devices, clip colours and the ability to have multiple pages are suhweet when it comes to session view antics. Thanks for the app and keep up the good work!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:55 pm

rabouille wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:I never doubted you, boys. Oh sure, I had to crack the whip once or twice, but that's to be expected.

In the meantime....

We never doubt about you LSZ, we knew your that your network might help us. But please can you ask Steevie to allow developers to use the USB dock connector and to stop these ridiculous iphone/ipad human interface rules? Big hug to you both. thanks for your collaboration and your help, the vapourware rumour had good effect on our sales!
Consider it done, boys. I'll be lunching with Stevie J. next week and he owes me big time for that whole 'touch screen on a phone' idea.

But seriously, it's an uber mega fail that on one hand there's no device / app connection allowed via USB, but you still have to be tethered in order to sync.

The app truly is incredible. Velocity sensitive pads according to where you hit them? Brilliant.

A shame that the nifty filter interface can't be utilized when you've got that FX as part of a rack, and that macro device parameters in a rack have no device names listed (then again Ableton didn't provide that feature either :P )

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:00 pm

beats me wrote:@LSZ You do realize this app is going to lead to the creation of more dub step, right?

Interesting how people on here with very little post counts felt the release of this app was worth posting something. Obviously Ableton is no longer capable of that kind of inspiration on their own. Good luck with The Bridge. :P
It did take me a few tries to get the connection going. lol. I'm not sure but I think it finally worked when I specified touchAblescript2 as the MIDI - even though I don't have a 2nd iPad. :lol: Ill have to test that again.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:17 pm

concept_control wrote:Hey, well done on the app so far! I have a few things to add that are hopefully useful from my first outing with it.

1) There's clip stop, global clip stop... transport stop..? That's really necessary I think.
2) The 3rd track's header is a little lower graphically than it's colleagues, a little misaligned is all.
3) I couldn't get the device power buttons to work - they'd switch everything off but not back on? Maybe that's a setup error on my part
4) It'd be useful to have the device parameters show actual values rather than percentages.
5) Some of the arrow buttons for things are a little puzzling, I guess that'll be sorted with the manual though!
6) The app allows the ipad to go to sleep. Nooo...!

I think I'm going to prefer LiveControl for mixing and arranging, it's mixer page is a little less frenetic and has what I need laid out on 1 page (mute, solo, faders, and transport). But finding devices, clip colours and the ability to have multiple pages are suhweet when it comes to session view antics. Thanks for the app and keep up the good work!
1)yes there is :) check our features overview video to figure out. stop button(red one), press, then you ll get the toggle stop bar for each track. or you can also press the empty slot, like you can do it in Ableton.
2) I don't get it...????
3)you can enable/disable devices from the overview device view with the big yellow button on the bottom, press it then click on the device you want to on/off, orange is on, blue is off. Or in the device view itself, the on off button is the first one on the right side (round button).
4) this is related to liveAPi limitation in certain cases, but I'm sure Ableton is going to work on it.
5)Sorry guys, manual and videos instructions are on their way, we ve been extremly buisy with support emails these last days, but it is coming soon. :)
6) a setting option to turn off the sleep mode with touchAble will be added on the next update (in few days).

thanks for your report

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:18 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:@LSZ You do realize this app is going to lead to the creation of more dub step, right?

It did take me a few tries to get the connection going. lol. I'm not sure but I think it finally worked when I specified touchAblescript2 as the MIDI - even though I don't have a 2nd iPad. :lol: Ill have to test that again.
Is it again your sense of humour?

DerekC

Post by DerekC » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:20 pm

I've downloaded it and gotten it working once out of 6 attempts. It was really sluggish in responding. I've been using LiveControl for the past few weeks and latest version is great. I feel really ripped off for paying for this. I'll give it a few more tries to see if I'm doing something wrong though. I wonder if I can get my money back if it doesn't start doing what it's supposed to do??? Anyone else having problems with it?

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 pm

DerekC wrote:I've downloaded it and gotten it working once out of 6 attempts. It was really sluggish in responding. I've been using LiveControl for the past few weeks and latest version is great. I feel really ripped off for paying for this. I'll give it a few more tries to see if I'm doing something wrong though. I wonder if I can get my money back if it doesn't start doing what it's supposed to do??? Anyone else having problems with it?
there is no reason you cannot get it working well. touchAble has been tested hundred and hundred of times on several different configurations, type of livesets, hardware, and soft versions.

So please before asking for your money back, my advice is :
keep your calm,
be sure you own live 8,
select the setup guide corresponding to your configuration,
preferable the one from touchAble website, it includes screenshots,
go for an ad-hoc connexion instead of router,
read carefully all the steps and repeat them,
and if you still can get it working smoothly,
send an email to our support : support@touch-able.com,
we are here to help you till everything worksfine

I'm sure you'll sort it out,
there is no reason that's not working for you only.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:36 pm

rabouille wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

Is it again your sense of humour?

I haven't had the time since my first night of foiled attempts but I really think there might be some confusion in the set up instructions and the ability to run 2 iPads and the script1 and script2. Are the 2 scripts needed for 1 iPad or 2? I think there should be "if running 1 iPad" instructions and then added info if you want to run 2.

Also I'm wondering if my problems the other night had to do with running through my wifi router instead of creating an adhoc network, but I've been able to do a ton of streaming, downloading, and uploading at the same time so I wouldn't think router congestion would be an issue. I wasn't doing anything else net related and at worst my roommate was streaming a movie.

And really that setup link you posted in this thread with the screen captures should be front and center on your main site page. I'm looking at your site now and there's absolutely nothing referencing it or support. As this isn't exactly plug-n-play it shouldn't be something people have to hunt for.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:35 pm

@ beats me

-it seems to be confused for some of new users, you're right. We are going to fix that confusion, nothing hard to do.
-Ad hoc network is the best way to connect touchAble, certainly, you are sure to get the best performance, so please guys, go for ad hoc instead of router (router works fine but depends on the its quality ).
-we just created a new category menu "set up guide" so you can get it on download category and that one aswell.

thanks for your feedback