Drum racks multi layer tutorial (chain, choke groups, etc)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
neomad

Drum racks multi layer tutorial (chain, choke groups, etc)

Post by neomad » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Hello: I've been experimenting with drums racks for a while. Quite powerful tool but a little complex...

I was trying to include all my logic ultrabeat drumkits in, but after reading the manual, I can not make chains to work with choke groups. Instead, I have created a 'sampler' unit into each pad, and divide any sample per velocity... but I'm only using 1 chain for 45 samples or more ... obviously works, but not flexible as I need...

Do you know some tutorial to create multi layer drums programs in Drum Racks ? (example, an acoustic open Hi Hat that will have many multisamples depending on velocity and can be silenced with a closed HH).

Thank you ! (I feel ashamed) :oops:

jok

Re: Drum racks multi layer tutorial (chain, choke groups, etc)

Post by jok » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Neomad,

I don´t know of any specific tutorial, but another way to create multi-layered samples would be to add an instrument rack device to each chain, then drop multiple instances of Simpler into the rack. Place your samples inside of the Simpler instances, then define different velocity zones for the samples in the instrument rack.
You can use the choke group function just like working with chains containing a single sample only to silence different chains (like ie. hihats).

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

neomad

Re: Drum racks multi layer tutorial (chain, choke groups, etc)

Post by neomad » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Thank you. In fact, I'm inserting a 'sampler instrument' into each pad and doing the same: mapping velocities for each sample into every single pad. So for every drum rack I have ... 16 samplers instances open !!!

But in this case, why use a chain ? which is the benefit ? seems I'm not understanding correctly what a chain is...

Can you explain me in 2 words ? again, manual it's not clear for me here...

Regards