Wow, I made it a whole year and still going.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mholloway

Re: Wow, I made it a whole year and still going.

Post by mholloway » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 am

This is great to hear! Congratulations and very well done.

I have to ask -- are you finding the income from full-time mastering services is enough to sustain you? If so that is effin' amazing! Or do you have other work / income sources?? Very curious, hope you don't mind my asking.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

mihai

Post by mihai » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 am

congrats and continued success i wish you.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:23 am

so after you look back on things what do you think attributed to everything turning out this way for you, was it the way you promoted yourself, or ...???

>>> Patience. Which as a lot of people who know me would attest, is not one of my strong points. It's a weird combination of being in the right place at the right time, and making sure I have the skills I need when those opportunities presented themselves. In the past I've had good things come my way, but honestly not been properly prepared to really take advantage of them. Now I feel I've finally prepared enough to take it to the next level as a career.

Also just being cool to people in general. I've ran into more than a few people who were higher on the food chain than I expected, being known as a level-headed individual certainly has helped there too.<<<

I have to ask -- are you finding the income from full-time mastering services is enough to sustain you? If so that is effin' amazing! Or do you have other work / income sources??

>>> Nope, the mastering and mixdown thing is my only income, aside from donation from my production articles. My wife works full-time too, but as of May I've been been making enough to support us both if it came to that. <<<

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:41 am

^ that's awesome, dude, couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:08 pm

nebulae wrote:^ that's awesome, dude, couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.
ditto

5meohd

Post by 5meohd » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 am

tritto

robfoster

Post by robfoster » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm

5meohd wrote:tritto
quitto

no thats not right, well done Tarekith :oops:
Lion 10.7.2
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz
Ableton live 8.26
Logic pro 9.15

My Website

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind words.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Tarekith wrote:Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind words.
shut up and go master something...your children need food on the table!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:04 pm

belated congrats!

I'm wondering if the career in mastering is similar to recording and producing, full of "I have to listen to this shit over...and over...and over" moments. Probably on a lesser level I suppose.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:26 pm

beats me wrote:I'm wondering if the career in mastering is similar to recording and producing, full of "I have to listen to this shit over...and over...and over" moments. Probably on a lesser level I suppose.
There's less repetition involved, so usually if I get a .... questionable sounding tune I don't have to hear again and again for days on end (usually). I do get some really odd songs sent my way, that's for sure. There's some straight up crazy people out there making music :)

But on the flip side I've gotten to work on some jaw-dropping material too, both from larger name artists (Autechre, Venetian Snares, etc) and smaller guys just coming up (Willian Fournier, Fastus, plus many more I'm forgeting). Those days make it worthwhile, when I want to listen to the songs over and over and I've already done the work on them.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote:I'm wondering if the career in mastering is similar to recording and producing, full of "I have to listen to this shit over...and over...and over" moments. Probably on a lesser level I suppose.
There's less repetition involved, so usually if I get a .... questionable sounding tune I don't have to hear again and again for days on end (usually). I do get some really odd songs sent my way, that's for sure. There's some straight up crazy people out there making music :)

But on the flip side I've gotten to work on some jaw-dropping material too, both from larger name artists (Autechre, Venetian Snares, etc) and smaller guys just coming up (Willian Fournier, Fastus, plus many more I'm forgeting). Those days make it worthwhile, when I want to listen to the songs over and over and I've already done the work on them.
Nice. Some legit respected names there. We were under the impression you were just mastering dub step for forum members. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:28 pm

LOL, I do get a lot of dubstep from this forum, that is for sure.
:lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:LOL, I do get a lot of dubstep from this forum, that is for sure.
:lol:

Do you advertise that you use the Wobble Maximizer Pro plug-in only available to certified mastering engineers?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Shhh, you're ruining the secret.