FULL, complete, mp3 support (DJing, exporting, etc)

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Akzel

FULL, complete, mp3 support (DJing, exporting, etc)

Post by Akzel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:06 pm

I know the "mp3 thing" has been discussed here some times, but I didn't find a thread that would bring it all together in a single topic.

I'd love to see FULL mp3 support on Ableton Live!

- DJing with mp3 files without the need to convert them to wav, or even worse, letting Live to clog the system with the hidden decoded-wav files it creates;
- Exporting mp3 files (LAME codec, anyone?) straight from Live, without the need to use third part software to do such a simple task;
- id3tag support on imported/exported mp3 files;
- Converting different channels on the mixer straight to different mp3 files.

I've seen people moaning and complaining "oh, it loses quality", "it's not lossless", etc, etc. If you don't like mp3s, it's fine, but not everybody needs to live with limitations imposed by your "superior taste/ears/knowledge/whatever".

The choice to choose the file format I use for my DJ sets, or for exporting projects doesn't affect YOUR way of doing things, so let's keep the thread "hating-free", please. :-)

Akzel

Re: FULL, complete, mp3 support (DJing, exporting, etc)

Post by Akzel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:38 pm

No love? :?

rchrdnsh

Post by rchrdnsh » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:48 am

+47.5

Metroplex

Post by Metroplex » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:06 am

Agree!

defcon1351

Post by defcon1351 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:51 am

Akzel wrote:I know the "mp3 thing" has been discussed here some times, but I didn't find a thread that would bring it all together in a single topic.

I'd love to see FULL mp3 support on Ableton Live!

- DJing with mp3 files without the need to convert them to wav, or even worse, letting Live to clog the system with the hidden decoded-wav files it creates;
- Exporting mp3 files (LAME codec, anyone?) straight from Live, without the need to use third part software to do such a simple task;
- id3tag support on imported/exported mp3 files;
- Converting different channels on the mixer straight to different mp3 files.

I've seen people moaning and complaining "oh, it loses quality", "it's not lossless", etc, etc. If you don't like mp3s, it's fine, but not everybody needs to live with limitations imposed by your "superior taste/ears/knowledge/whatever".

The choice to choose the file format I use for my DJ sets, or for exporting projects doesn't affect YOUR way of doing things, so let's keep the thread "hating-free", please. :-)
:oops:

Crazy-S

Post by Crazy-S » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:15 am

+100 :mrgreen:
mp3 support would be great but id like to see a way to change the rendering format to .Flac .Wav or .MP3

Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Oh, yes. At least Mp3 + FLAC. Even AAC, Apple Lossless would be great.
+ Also, an option to save projects using lossy formats would be nice. Some projects like broadcast material are stored just for archival purposes, so this option would be very useful.
SOUNDPROVOCATION
Check out my new release: "Eccentric Grooves"

mariokober

Post by mariokober » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:03 am

I absolutely agree to that. MP3 native support without decoding to wav and I would like to have a search for ID3 Tags with highlighting the search results in the grid like the search in the osx system preferences works. This would make live the perfekt club-tool for me ( it is almost already ).

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:59 am

MP3 export would make my life much easier.

soundremedy

Post by soundremedy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Hate free?

Not a chance.

Fuck mp3.

Its true, some poeple can hear the difference among file formats.

I am one of those people.

Why not trust me that it sounds better and just use something that sounds better?

Come on now lets be real.

Y wouldnt you just use something that sounds better?

Akzel

Post by Akzel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 pm

soundremedy wrote:Hate free?

Not a chance.

Fuck mp3.

Its true, some poeple can hear the difference among file formats.

I am one of those people.

Why not trust me that it sounds better and just use something that sounds better?

Come on now lets be real.

Y wouldnt you just use something that sounds better?

It's hard to argue with someone that begins with "fuck mp3", it's just like feeding the troll...

It's fine with me that YOU hate mp3, but I don't and many other people don't either. It's great your have infinite bandwidth and you send only wave files with audio clips or previews to people, and it's awesome you only buy wave files to DJ with, but that's not the case with everyone else.

Just like I said: That's YOUR way of doing things, but there are people out there that want other options (I'm not even sure FLAC would work with someone that has such good ears like yourself).

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Akzel wrote:Just like I said: That's YOUR way of doing things, but there are people out there that want other options (I'm not even sure FLAC would work with someone that has such good ears like yourself).
flac is lossless, like zip. so you can't hear a difference.

and yeah, mp3 support would be great. why create waves out of mp3s to play them? useless massive storage needs. they won't sound better then. anything that is mp3 should not need to get wav anymore at any place (except when editing of course)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

rchrdnsh

Post by rchrdnsh » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:12 pm

One of the biggest reasons for mp3 bounce support is file sharing. If I work on a project and I make 20+ mixes of that project and send them to different people associated with the project I don't want to send an uncompressed file every time I share an updated mix. I also don't want file bloat on my system. With mp3 export I can create only one file to send to people, not two. This adds up over 20 or 30 versions, and adds tremendously to the workflow if I have to dump my wav into iTunes every time I want to email somebody a mix. Sure, a final mix is gonna be delivered to the label or mastering house in the highest quality possible, but the rough mixes aren't going to be handled with satin gloves like the final will be.

One thing that Logic does really well is bouncing. When you open up the bounce window there are options to export many file types and the user can specify any settings they want for any format type in the bounce window and actually bounce several formats at once! That is a huge timesaver for me. Really cool, and I hope to see Live incorporate these ideas into Live 9...

MP
Last edited by rchrdnsh on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akzel

Post by Akzel » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:17 am

melodiouspunk wrote:One of the biggest reasons for mp3 bounce support is file sharing. If I work on a project and I make 20+ mixes of that project and send them to different people associated with the project I don't want to send an uncompressed file every time I share an updated mix. I also don't want file bloat on my system. With mp3 export I can create only one file to send to people, not two. This adds up over 20 or 30 versions, and adds tremendously to the workflow if I have to dump my wav into iTunes every time I want to email somebody a mix. Sure, a final mix is gonna be delivered to the label or mastering house in the highest quality possible, but the rough mixes aren't going to be handled with satin gloves like the final will be.

One thing that Logic does really well is bouncing. When you open up the bounce window there are options to export many file types and the user can specify any settings they want for any format type in the bounce window and actually bounce several formats at once! That is a huge timesaver for me. Really cool, and I hope to see Live incorporate these ideas into Live 9...

RN
Well put!!

rchrdnsh

Post by rchrdnsh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:50 am

Thank you Akzel. I just hope they're listening...

MP