TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rabouille

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by rabouille » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:34 am

botina06 wrote:Make TouchAble work for Live 7 as well!!!
Unfortunetly it is not possible, liveAPI is not developed as it is in Live 8.
You should consider to upgrade to Live 8, 8.1.5 is a really stable and serious version, it worth the pennies.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:55 am

Shinzu wrote:hi ,

which ip-ports uses touchable-server to communicate with the ipad-app? ... need this information for my firewall-ruleset ^^
Sorry mate, i jumped your post,

ports needed for all communication are: 9010 9011 9012 9020 9022, so if you use a firewall, open them.

Shinzu

Post by Shinzu » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:09 pm

rabouille wrote:
Shinzu wrote:hi ,

which ip-ports uses touchable-server to communicate with the ipad-app? ... need this information for my firewall-ruleset ^^
Sorry mate, i jumped your post,

ports needed for all communication are: 9010 9011 9012 9020 9022, so if you use a firewall, open them.

thx for the info :)
Unix is for Stability,Macintosh is for productivity,and Windows is for Solitare!

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:31 am

guys we are working on the first major update, we have already collected requests, but if after few weeks running touchAble, some you guys have new ones, please let us know.

Massive improvements are coming, we need more time to work on it but it will come soon.

Shufflebug

Post by Shufflebug » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi guys,

superb app, I'm awaiting my iPad in the next few days :)

I don't know if anybody mentioned that before but as you asked for further suggestions here's what I think would make an improvement: Overview mode for the clips (like in Griid) to jump quickly to a specific area in a large set.

keep up the good work!

regards
Shufflebug

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Shufflebug wrote:Hi guys,

superb app, I'm awaiting my iPad in the next few days :)

I don't know if anybody mentioned that before but as you asked for further suggestions here's what I think would make an improvement: Overview mode for the clips (like in Griid) to jump quickly to a specific area in a large set.

keep up the good work!

regards
Shufflebug
indeed it is a nice feature, it is on our list, not sure for the next update, but enought soon for sure .

naph

Post by naph » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:18 pm

excellent app, i'd say gamechanger
my launchpad is already on sale :)

i think most of these got covered on your forum aswell, but anyway i'll just report my full list of suggestions/bug reports:

1.clip playing status is not correct when opening a set
2.the need for a manual reload when opening a new set in not that awful, but of course having an automatic reload would be much more efficient
3.clips without names get the same name of the preceding clip, which is definitely confusing
4.playing status and clip name on white clips is not visible
5.when triggering a clip slot, would be nice to have the same visual feedback you get from live, so a kind of blinking behaviour like "i'm going to play (or stop if an empty clip slot) on next loop" would be very nice, expecially when dealing with very long clips or very long launch quantizations, or with intricate follow actions programming
6.brown area on the right could be more instantly readable
7.automatic network configuration with bonjour (i know this one could be very nasty to cover all the possible scenario, but could also save a lot of troubles and would add a lot of "tha real mac magic" to the app)
8.touchable server app should remember the selected midi port (or at least if not possible could default to the four touchable ports, right now it just defaults to the first one found on alfabetical order)
9.sometimes while using the clip feature, the arrow to select active clip behaved wierdly, not allowing me to properly select the clip i wanted to edit, actually ignoring completely my selection
10.keyboard velocity could be implemented in a similar way to the pad, so hitting a key in it's upper part could output a lower velocity, and hitting in on the lower part could output higher velocity, with configurable tresholds. ( just an idea, don't know if that could really be useful or not )
11.ability to scroll into mixer/sends mode like you do in clip mode (actually i'm not sure if that would be cool on 16tracks mode, for sure it's appealing to me on 8track mode)

i think that's all.. really looking forward to the next release, and maximum support from me ;)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:44 pm

naph wrote:excellent app, i'd say gamechanger

i think most of these got covered on your forum aswell, but anyway i'll just report my full list of suggestions/bug reports:

2.the need for a manual reload when opening a new set in not that awful, but of course having an automatic reload would be much more efficient
3.clips without names get the same name of the preceding clip, which is definitely confusing
5.when triggering a clip slot, would be nice to have the same visual feedback you get from live, so a kind of blinking behaviour like "i'm going to play (or stop if an empty clip slot) on next loop" would be very nice, expecially when dealing with very long clips or very long launch quantizations, or with intricate follow actions programming
7.automatic network configuration with bonjour (i know this one could be very nasty to cover all the possible scenario, but could also save a lot of troubles and would add a lot of "tha real mac magic" to the app)
8.touchable server app should remember the selected midi port (or at least if not possible could default to the four touchable ports, right now it just defaults to the first one found on alfabetical order)
9.sometimes while using the clip feature, the arrow to select active clip behaved wierdly, not allowing me to properly select the clip i wanted to edit, actually ignoring completely my selection
10.keyboard velocity could be implemented in a similar way to the pad, so hitting a key in it's upper part could output a lower velocity, and hitting in on the lower part could output higher velocity, with configurable tresholds. ( just an idea, don't know if that could really be useful or not )
11.ability to scroll into mixer/sends mode like you do in clip mode (actually i'm not sure if that would be cool on 16tracks mode, for sure it's appealing to me on 8track mode)

i think that's all.. really looking forward to the next release, and maximum support from me ;)
Excellent suggestions. You hit on most most things I've thought about. I'll second this list.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Shufflebug

Post by Shufflebug » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:06 pm

one more suggestion for the clip view: being able to configure ..
.. how many tracks are displayed (horizontally of course)
.. and the width of each track

this would be useful in a DJing context where you would be able to have e.g. only 4 tracks displayed but therefore a lot more space for the clip names of the inner 2 Tracks (Artist - Title - Remix) and less space for the outer track's clips that contain let's say some loops 'n stuff to bring in.

regards
Shufflebug

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:41 am

naph wrote:excellent app, i'd say gamechanger

thanks for your suggestions and your serious list ;)
answer:
1/fixed in the next update :)
2/fixed in next update :)
3/fixed in next update :)
4/we haven't found a way to change font and playing status bar yet related to the color of the clip. Be sure that we spent time on that...We definitely sort it out, be patient.
5/fixed in next update :)
6/New skin is coming. But my advise is: memorize the order of the menu if you really want to play with touchAble, it is not a big deal: clip/mixer/devices/keys/pads Music practice requires a bit of memorization...but we take your suggestion :)
7/ be sure that we really want to add automatic configuration/connection. Bonjour looks good on the paper but doesn't works that perfectly in reality. And it is one more soft to install for PC users. We want to provide a 100% working solution, if we find a 100% reliable way with bonjour, we will obviously use it . Christian is these days working on that. Next update will provide a configuration/connection improvement.
8/ fixed in next update :)
9/ when using select clip arrow, you have to see the "turning page" effect after clicking the arrow, then you ll be sure that you can select a clip. Everything works well here, but let's make some other tests, maybe we can improve it.
10/Actually Keys have also a velocity feature (exactly as pads), it is just inverted, max velocity is on lower part and mini velocity is on top, easier when you play keyboard.
11/ mixer is scrollable with touch if you use half view with clips grid or devices grid. touchscroll on one of them and the mixer will follow.

Btw are you Naph from Milano?

naph

Post by naph » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:38 pm

rabouille wrote: Btw are you Naph from Milano?
yes mate ! it's me.. was looking right now at the photo of our party.. they are still online.. i'm definitely feeling nostalgic :)
glad to see your still in the business and you came out with this brilliant app !!!

about our points:
1 and 5: cool you already fixed that
2: i see that livecontrol can handle it, but i have no experience on liveAPi nor insights on how the different implementations approach used, so i don't know how hard or even fasible could be
3: looks really like a string re-init problem, shouldn't be that hard
4: i'll just stop using white clips, no big deal here :)
6: glad to hear the skin feature is coming, will make more users happy
7: i know that bonjour is not default on windows, and that this could really drive you crazy with troubleshooting eventual customers problem, so i agree on the 100% working solution.
8: i think it's possible because the new livecontrol server seems to be packed the same way as touchable server, and it's remembering the previously used port
9: i'll report you more in depth if i encounter some problem with it.. i just remember one night giving up with that, might aswell be my fault.
10: i admit i didn't play around a lot with the keyboard since i prefer the feeling of a real one, cool to see you already thinked about that, i was just reporting it based on previous posts talking about keyboard velocity
11: i was talking about the mixer only window, expecially in 8 tracks mode. this is the only mode that doesn't offer this functionality and is somewhat incosistent with the other ones. i found myself quite a few times trying to scroll the mixer like i do in clip view, then realizing i just have to use the arrow keys on the right. Again, no big deal

and, congrats for your excellent efforts in customer assistance, i think this is the right way to move on .. thumbs up ! :)

ah.. one more thing.. please consider for the future the idea of adding a midi clip editor (again, livecontrol one is not perfect when it comes to "out of quantization" but i'm feeling very comfortable with it overall)

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 pm

I made some edits in my answer check them.
naph wrote:
rabouille wrote: Btw are you Naph from Milano?
yes mate ! it's me.. was looking right now at the photo of our party.. they are still online.. i'm definitely feeling nostalgic :)
glad to see your still in the business and you came out with this brilliant app !!!

about our points:
1 and 5: cool you already fixed that
2: i see that livecontrol can handle it, but i have no experience on liveAPi nor insights on how the different implementations approach used, so i don't know how hard or even fasible could be
3: looks really like a string re-init problem, shouldn't be that hard
4: i'll just stop using white clips, no big deal here :)
6: glad to hear the skin feature is coming, will make more users happy
7: i know that bonjour is not default on windows, and that this could really drive you crazy with troubleshooting eventual customers problem, so i agree on the 100% working solution.
8: i think it's possible because the new livecontrol server seems to be packed the same way as touchable server, and it's remembering the previously used port
9: i'll report you more in depth if i encounter some problem with it.. i just remember one night giving up with that, might aswell be my fault.
10: i admit i didn't play around a lot with the keyboard since i prefer the feeling of a real one, cool to see you already thinked about that, i was just reporting it based on previous posts talking about keyboard velocity
11: i was talking about the mixer only window, expecially in 8 tracks mode. this is the only mode that doesn't offer this functionality and is somewhat incosistent with the other ones. i found myself quite a few times trying to scroll the mixer like i do in clip view, then realizing i just have to use the arrow keys on the right. Again, no big deal

and, congrats for your excellent efforts in customer assistance, i think this is the right way to move on .. thumbs up ! :)

ah.. one more thing.. please consider for the future the idea of adding a midi clip editor (again, livecontrol one is not perfect when it comes to "out of quantization" but i'm feeling very comfortable with it overall)

naph

Post by naph » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:28 pm

rabouille wrote:I made some edits in my answer check them.
i want it now !!! :) hahhahahah
good work man, indeed !!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Impressive lists of fixes for the next version. Looking forward to them, as well as surprise new features.
Professional Shark Jumper.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 pm

Shufflebug wrote:one more suggestion for the clip view: being able to configure ..
.. how many tracks are displayed (horizontally of course)
.. and the width of each track

this would be useful in a DJing context where you would be able to have e.g. only 4 tracks displayed but therefore a lot more space for the clip names of the inner 2 Tracks (Artist - Title - Remix) and less space for the outer track's clips that contain let's say some loops 'n stuff to bring in.

regards
Shufflebug
Tuff job, but we will implement it for sure, but not in the next update, sorry.
thanks for your feedback.