How to make Ableton more stable!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
revise

How to make Ableton more stable!

Post by revise » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Eliminate your dodgy (maybe cracked) plugins, and then see what your performance is! If that helps, perhaps then you can stop blaming Ableton for all your problems...

:)

necho

Re: How to make Ableton more stable!

Post by necho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 pm

And if I don't have any cracked plugins?
_________
sigs suck.

revise

Post by revise » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:19 pm

how many plugs do you have? it is still a worthy exercise even if they are not cracked.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 pm

man.. so glad someone finally posted the answer to all the problems people have been having.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:31 pm

revise wrote:how many plugs do you have? it is still a worthy exercise even if they are not cracked.
Live can still crash without plugins.
Before our beloved community presents you with many friendly and articulate replies, let me just state that you're wrong.

The way to make Live more stable is to report your bugs and crashes using the reporting tools found in the latest versions. If you experience a crash with any plugin, Ableton will want to know about it.
If you experience a crash using some outlandish workarounds and a variety of 3rd party applications, Ableton will still want to know about it.

necho

Post by necho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:35 pm

revise wrote:how many plugs do you have? it is still a worthy exercise even if they are not cracked.
3. Aether, Massive and Simplon.
_________
sigs suck.

revise

Post by revise » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:09 pm

I know that this is not a fix for every situation, and I realize that Ableton 8 has problems... my post was a reminder to those with tons of plugins.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:59 am

revise wrote:I know that this is not a fix for every situation, and I realize that Ableton 8 has problems... my post was a reminder to those with tons of plugins.
just to let you know: the name of the company is "ableton", the product name is "live". there is no "ableton 8" actually.

oh, by the way, my live is dead stable even with tons of plugins...sorry.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:16 am

How to make Live more stable
USE VERSION 7.0.18 !!

:lol:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:20 am

hoffman2k wrote:let me just state that you're wrong.
not really. besides live, your os, your drivers, your plugins, your actual hardware (internal and external) can be dodgy, and his idea is about finding out what the SOURCE of a problem is. live crashing might be the RESULT of the problem. but not (in every case) the source.

as i see some having massive problems, some having about zero problems, the setup differences are what give live problems. so finding out what part of the difference it is might help massively (just like the native instruments massive crashes of live had resulted in a fix from native instruments).

just fyi, to have the plugins performant enough for sound, they get loaded into the same process and memory space as the application using it. that means, a buggy plugin can completely access and kill it's parent application. with NO chance from the application to prevent it. to fix that, they would have to implement an approach similar to what google chrome introduced: every plugin an own process. this would disallow plugins to kill the host, but it would be quite some work to get this to a performance level that works. i still somehow hope they introduce that in live 9. it would be awesome.
If you experience a crash using some outlandish workarounds and a variety of 3rd party applications, Ableton will still want to know about it.
that part is true. they want to know every crash. even if it's not their fault.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 am

I'm afraid the correct wording is more like "eliminate your plug-ins".

I don't think I own a single third-party plug-in that hasn't crashed Live 8.xx, numerous times. (No cracks, no odd stuff.)
I can only recall a single instance where Live 8.xx has crashed with a native Live device.

But that doesn't make it the plug-ins' fault - most of these plug-ins do not crash other hosts (i.e. Logic, Reaper, GarageBand). And most of them didn't crash Live 6 or Live 7.

So yeah, going back to Live 7 is one possibility. Or wait for the Abes to fix Live 8. But Live 8's been out for well over a year now and sadly, I'm leaning more and more towards the "use another host" fix... :?

auto-lock

Post by auto-lock » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 pm

what goes up must come down... ableton is going down...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 pm

davepermen wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:let me just state that you're wrong.
not really. besides live, your os, your drivers, your plugins, your actual hardware (internal and external) can be dodgy, and his idea is about finding out what the SOURCE of a problem is. live crashing might be the RESULT of the problem. but not (in every case) the source.

as i see some having massive problems, some having about zero problems, the setup differences are what give live problems. so finding out what part of the difference it is might help massively (just like the native instruments massive crashes of live had resulted in a fix from native instruments).

just fyi, to have the plugins performant enough for sound, they get loaded into the same process and memory space as the application using it. that means, a buggy plugin can completely access and kill it's parent application. with NO chance from the application to prevent it. to fix that, they would have to implement an approach similar to what google chrome introduced: every plugin an own process. this would disallow plugins to kill the host, but it would be quite some work to get this to a performance level that works. i still somehow hope they introduce that in live 9. it would be awesome.
that part is true. they want to know every crash. even if it's not their fault.
Not sure why you said "not really". I can't see how we differ in opinion. I never suggested plugins can't crash and bring down Live. Plugins can be the buggiest thing in your setup. You still won't know before you tried it.

And I'm almost sure I posted a similar idea about just plugins crashing in another similar thread. Either that or I deleted it from a too lengthy reply. It would indeed be cool if it didn't bring down the host.

The general point was to report any crash, be it just Live, with plugins and with 3rd party applications. That is the only way to get it more stable. That Massive NI bug didn't get fixed because nobody mentioned it.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 pm

I think the addition of several horses would make it much more stable.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:05 pm

slirak wrote:But that doesn't make it the plug-ins' fault - most of these plug-ins do not crash other hosts (i.e. Logic, Reaper, GarageBand). And most of them didn't crash Live 6 or Live 7.

So yeah, going back to Live 7 is one possibility. Or wait for the Abes to fix Live 8. But Live 8's been out for well over a year now and sadly, I'm leaning more and more towards the "use another host" fix... :?

yup! really makes you scratch your head when the plugins you've bought and have been using without issue up until v8 suddenly start crashing live and interrupting your flow.

example: i can still only use z3ta+ in live 7 - hitting arrow keys/shift/ctrl/etc while the z3ta+ gui is open makes live 8 close/crash without notice. submitted bug reports, contacted both ableton & cakewalk support - no one has a clue what the issue is or if/when it will get fixed - yet it works like a charm in live 7.