Amp reivews

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Amp reivews

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:15 pm

how does it sound? screenshots? I started the download last night and am stuck at work. haven't seen or heard it yet.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

n8tron

Re: Amp reivews

Post by n8tron » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:25 pm

I posted in the 8.2 a bit about what I thought of it. It was a fairly brief test. At first I didn't like it, thought it was to crisp and brittle sounding. But eventually after some tweaking I got it to sound fairly similar to the similar modeled amps in Line 6 gear (which is what I am very used to). I like clean sounds, so I can't speak to the heavy amps, but the blues amp feels like the best of the bunch to me. These models react differently than my Line 6 so I'm still getting used to them. I'd be interested to hear a comparison between Amp and Softube's own Amp Room.

I can't speak to much on the sound, as it's mostly taste, but I doubt Amp will replace Pod Farm, Amplitude, or Guitar Rig for anyone but its a great add on if you don't already have amp modeling software. They are really just keeping up with the competition here as nearly every other DAW seems to have amp modeling included now.

Also, when you throw Amp on a guitar track don't forget to add Cabinet separately! At first I thought it would add them at the same time but it does not.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:28 pm

i had much fun the last some hours with it, getting some interesting stuff out of it. other than that, not much to say. as usual, try it, find out how you can put it to good use.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

CR78

Post by CR78 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:29 pm

I played around for about an hour and so far I'm feeling a little underwhelmed.

The cabinets all sound a tad 'bassy'- somewhat dull.

I have both Peaveys, Revalver MKIII and Studio Devils, AMP for comparison. I've tried using similar settings to approximate what's going on in Softube's. ST's AMP just does'nt have quite the 'sizzle' the other two have.

That said, I still think AMP for Live is fun for running through some softsynths and/or drums.

All subjective of course. ;)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:37 pm

the cabinets are quite bassy indeed. happily, there's a drywet knob :) and definitely, as it's for free for me, it's a fun-to-test-out device. so far, cabinet helped me on some kick drum :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Joriz

Post by Joriz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Do you need to download suite 8.2?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:47 pm

davepermen wrote:cabinet helped me on some kick drum :)
8O 8)

interesting reads, thanks.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:57 pm

I listened to the examples, and tried the free versions available with the upgrade. I have most of the modelers available, and frankly, I doubt if Amp is competetive. I agree with the poster that suggested it was brittle - to me, it sounded really trebly. I had the same impression with Saturator, etc...

I'll stick to AT3 for now.....

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm

CR78 wrote:That said, I still think AMP for Live is fun for running through some softsynths and/or drums.
Agreed. I can't see this replacing any of my other amp sims. Though as a freebie, it's a nice addition to the collection.

Thanks Ableton.

btw, Has anyone found a tuner hiding in there somewhere :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 pm

So far the comments are that the amp sims are a bit brittle/trebly and the cabinets are a bit bassy. So used together it sounds just right? Or does it mean we're missing a bit of mid range mojo? :wink: Looking forward to trying it out in about 54 minutes... no 57...wait, an hour... nope 56... etc.
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:25 am

I'd rather have too much of something in the spectrum than too little. Cutting is easy.
Anyways, the installer downloaded in like 25 minutes, so I'm chuffed. Off to install! G'night peoples.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 am

i already have trash and so many great producers swear by it,so i dont even care about his add on.anyone want to buy it from me for 10 bucks?

metasymbol

Post by metasymbol » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:06 am

Tone Deft wrote:how does it sound? screenshots? I started the download last night and am stuck at work. haven't seen or heard it yet.
I've just tested the amps with my guitar and in the first moment I was disappointed. But then after some tuning I think - the amps and cabinets are ok for most genres but the hi gain sounds are poor. For me this amp simulation is generally OK in most cases and when I need more higain I can use the free Kuassa Amplification Lite with build in IR Loader and sell my GR4 licence.

But 99 Euros is an expensive joke - I mean, I have bought GR4 for 129 Euros (Upgrade offer)... stay on the stage of reality, Ableton, we are in 2010 and Amp Sims are nothing special today.

But as a Suite User I'm happy about this nice small freebee.

Live Suite 9|27" i7 iMac late 2010 - 10.9.5|15" i7 MB Pro late 2011 - 10.9.5|Saffire Pro 24 + 14|APC80|A-800PRO|Push|HD-3|FCB1010|UltraNova|KeyLab25|M4U|UMI3|Graphite M8|Launchpad|Guitar Wing|BCR2000|Kontakt|GuitarRig|Reaktor|EZdrummer|Diva|Zebra2|MiniV|MidiGuitar|

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:29 am

The clean sounds are ok, nothing fancy but better than nothing. The distortion is dreadful, it's buzzy and brittle. I read some review somewhere where the guy described most amp simps as sounding like a "horde of angry bees", that perfectly describes the overdriven sounds, for me they are unusable. The clean sounds could get some use I suppose. I would think Amp is better suited to keyboard players who want to play with a more valve like sound than the saturator/drive plugins.

Basically, horrible!

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:45 am

Simbosan wrote:Basically, horrible!
whooohooo!!

someone start the thread in the tips n tricks section for "share your Amp presets" just like the racks sticky. lucky winner gets their handle permanently on a sticky. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz