TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Shufflebug

Re: TouchAble - complete controller for Ableton Live & IPAD

Post by Shufflebug » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:03 am

rabouille wrote:
Shufflebug wrote:one more suggestion for the clip view: being able to configure ..
.. how many tracks are displayed (horizontally of course)
.. and the width of each track

this would be useful in a DJing context where you would be able to have e.g. only 4 tracks displayed but therefore a lot more space for the clip names of the inner 2 Tracks (Artist - Title - Remix) and less space for the outer track's clips that contain let's say some loops 'n stuff to bring in.

regards
Shufflebug
Tuff job, but we will implement it for sure, but not in the next update, sorry.
thanks for your feedback.
Thanks for your answer. This would be awesome :)
(For me it would be more important to be able to configure the amount of displayed tracks .. compared to the width issue .. if this is the tuff thing here)

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:15 pm

May someone please explain how the fx8 and fx32 device control modes work? Assignment of parameters etc
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

dzisign

Post by dzisign » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Oh my god, I totally forgot that I read about this piece of software months ago. Why do I have to find this thread? WHYYY?! Now I'm finally forced to get an iPad myself. Ahhh :mrgreen:
soundcloud

*Macbook Pro 2009 2,53*Live Suite 8*APC40*Axiom25*monster win7 x64 machine*M1 MKII

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Alien Leg wrote:May someone please explain how the fx8 and fx32 device control modes work? Assignment of parameters etc
I was under the impression they just display the selected device parameters. Am I wrong?
Professional Shark Jumper.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Alien Leg wrote:May someone please explain how the fx8 and fx32 device control modes work? Assignment of parameters etc
I encourage you to watch our video channel, you ll learn a lot :

http://www.youtube.com/user/touchAbleapp

pulse

Post by pulse » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:41 pm

+1 for the number of clips displayed (for me width is ok but height is too small, specially when you do gigs)

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 am

I've seen all the videos and thats the reason I'm asking! What if I have a VSTi oder Fx with say 200 parameters and want to edit one of the first or one of the last parameters in the list? Do I have to switch back and forth or can I choose the parameters I like to edit in the fx32 view? (I see you can do it if you use the 8 macros, but 8 is not enough)
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,

naph

Post by naph » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Alien Leg wrote:I've seen all the videos and thats the reason I'm asking! What if I have a VSTi oder Fx with say 200 parameters and want to edit one of the first or one of the last parameters in the list? Do I have to switch back and forth or can I choose the parameters I like to edit in the fx32 view? (I see you can do it if you use the 8 macros, but 8 is not enough)
i guess you have to do a preliminar work choosing and ordering the parameters you want to control by using the "configure" button. once set your custom order, touchable will just map 8 32 64 whatever number of parameters you have chosen

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Well, if I can choose the parameters this way it's all that is needed! :-) Can someone confirm this?
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Alien Leg wrote:Well, if I can choose the parameters this way it's all that is needed! :-) Can someone confirm this?
I confirm :)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Speaking of the device controls, I noticed that operator had all the controls, but in an unorganized manner. The way that the APC40 and Novation SL does it is to organize the parameters into sensible layouts grouped in 8's, which is great, but the downside is that you only get the most important parameters. It seems as though touchable takes in all the parameters, which is cool, however the order is such that the parameter controls aren't in organized or repeatable orders, so it's hard to find what you're looking for.

Unfortunately you can't configure the parameter order for the Ableton instruments like you can for VSTs (one of the MANY benefots of VSTs over the native ableton devices, sadly), so it would be great if we could somehow in touchable (including adding blank slots to get the layouts you want). Even better would be if you made a nice custom interface for the ableton instruments like you did for EQ8! Is that planned? A touche interface operator would be a dream, especially full screen on the ipad.

rabouille

Post by rabouille » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Speaking of the device controls, I noticed that operator had all the controls, but in an unorganized manner. The way that the APC40 and Novation SL does it is to organize the parameters into sensible layouts grouped in 8's, which is great, but the downside is that you only get the most important parameters. It seems as though touchable takes in all the parameters, which is cool, however the order is such that the parameter controls aren't in organized or repeatable orders, so it's hard to find what you're looking for.

Unfortunately you can't configure the parameter order for the Ableton instruments like you can for VSTs (one of the MANY benefots of VSTs over the native ableton devices, sadly), so it would be great if we could somehow in touchable (including adding blank slots to get the layouts you want). Even better would be if you made a nice custom interface for the ableton instruments like you did for EQ8! Is that planned? A touche interface operator would be a dream, especially full screen on the ipad.
Yeah, we know that....actually. we ll find a way to improve that. a special template for operator, why not, we are just focusing on live plugins bundle, maybe then.

Thanks for your feedback.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:37 am

rabouille wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Speaking of the device controls, I noticed that operator had all the controls, but in an unorganized manner. The way that the APC40 and Novation SL does it is to organize the parameters into sensible layouts grouped in 8's, which is great, but the downside is that you only get the most important parameters. It seems as though touchable takes in all the parameters, which is cool, however the order is such that the parameter controls aren't in organized or repeatable orders, so it's hard to find what you're looking for.

Yeah, we know that....actually. we ll find a way to improve that. a special template for operator, why not, we are just focusing on live plugins bundle, maybe then.

One for each of the audio effects, midi effects AND instruments - that's a lot on your plate but I can't see why that wouldn't be on the agenda - go for it! (of course some of the effects don't really need custom interfaces like redux cause it's just a few params)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:58 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
rabouille wrote:

One for each of the audio effects, midi effects AND instruments - that's a lot on your plate but I can't see why that wouldn't be on the agenda - go for it! (of course some of the effects don't really need custom interfaces like redux cause it's just a few params)
I would actually say that most of the effects don't need a custom interface. It's cool for EQ8 though for example, because the graphic layout of the nodes helps to see the frequencies being affected really easily. I think the devices that would need it most would be the ones that have many parameters, which get too disorganized in the 32 parameter layout. I'd most like to see operator, analog and sampler, tension etc. (all the instruments really). I'd use the ableton instruments so much more if I could do sound design without less mousing.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19 pm

^ Something like being able to see the visual diagrams in Beat Bepeat , Auto Pan , Spectrum, etc would be nice - i'm not saying that it needs to be first on the list of feature requests - but if this is going to be THE ableton controller then it would add to the "not having to look at the computer" approach.