Ableton You Should Give Something Back To The Loyal Users!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Ableton You Should Give Something Back To The Loyal Users!

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:30 pm

n8tron wrote:Suite Download - 699
Live Download - 449
Price difference - 250

What you get for that difference:
Amp - 129
Collision - 159
Latin Percussion - 99
Analog - 129
Electric - 129
Tension - 129
Sampler - 129
Operator - 159
Drum Machines - 79
Total - 1141

Its ridiculous. And even more so if you figure out the price between the box versions. IMO those addons are not worth those prices, but they are worth the $250 upgrade price. So you are right, they are in a way forcing to buy the suite, if you want just TWO of the add ons its more cost effect to buy the suite. Again, I do like have both options, but why charge so much for them?
... or a no brainer.

I've seen a lot of posts where people ask for better deals. I get your point, their points... all that is fair enough, but damn... 250 for the whole shibang is A GOOD DEAL... 8O ...if you think about it. So peeps can jump on it or.... not.

Me, I hate it when I want to do something with a piece of software and find out that that one part is disabled... I paid for the upgrade so that I never get that error message. I'm not that into synths (yet), but I have found myself returning to what got me started with Live, my Axiom 25 (which came with a copy of Live when I was using Cubase). I am into drums, because of that, my focus was not on Operator or Analog, but having the option means that I can expand. I personally am glad that I dropped 250 for Drum Machines and Sampler (a la Suite)... because since I did it that way... I've got to play with Operator, Tension, Collision, Analog and now AMP... Plus, I still have tools in the kit. Thats a Smokin Deal! I'm glad I took advantage of it.

P.S. our bass player loved playing with Tension after he broke his wrist... so yet again, the good deal overfloweth.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:00 pm

H20nly wrote:
n8tron wrote:Suite Download - 699
Live Download - 449
Price difference - 250

What you get for that difference:
Amp - 129
Collision - 159
Latin Percussion - 99
Analog - 129
Electric - 129
Tension - 129
Sampler - 129
Operator - 159
Drum Machines - 79
Total - 1141

Its ridiculous. And even more so if you figure out the price between the box versions. IMO those addons are not worth those prices, but they are worth the $250 upgrade price. So you are right, they are in a way forcing to buy the suite, if you want just TWO of the add ons its more cost effect to buy the suite. Again, I do like have both options, but why charge so much for them?
... or a no brainer.

I've seen a lot of posts where people ask for better deals. I get your point, their points... all that is fair enough, but damn... 250 for the whole shibang is A GOOD DEAL... 8O ...if you think about it. So peeps can jump on it or.... not.

Me, I hate it when I want to do something with a piece of software and find out that that one part is disabled... I paid for the upgrade so that I never get that error message. I'm not that into synths (yet), but I have found myself returning to what got me started with Live, my Axiom 25 (which came with a copy of Live when I was using Cubase). I am into drums, because of that, my focus was not on Operator or Analog, but having the option means that I can expand. I personally am glad that I dropped 250 for Drum Machines and Sampler (a la Suite)... because since I did it that way... I've got to play with Operator, Tension, Collision, Analog and now AMP... Plus, I still have tools in the kit. Thats a Smokin Deal! I'm glad I took advantage of it.

P.S. our bass player loved playing with Tension after he broke his wrist... so yet again, the good deal overfloweth.

I wanted to take it slow and buy Live 8 first before Suite and/or Komplete one day in the future but I think you just convinced me. :lol:

Amp is said to be unimpressive but as a guitarist I want it so bad, even if it’s just to have a quick and easy to use perfectly integrated amp sim to try out ideas.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 pm

^ :lol: now can I start a thread telling Ableton how they owe me for helping push their product? :wink:

or...

will they hate me for interfering with individual add-on sales :?: :P
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 pm

[nis] wrote:
3phase wrote: And.. my sync issue is not a local problem of my computer..
I was referring to Machinesworking's sync issues, who was heavily complaining and arguing with me. Luckily it seems to work for him now. He promised to post this in the sync thread, but he didn't.
??? Why are you even in tech support if you get snippy with people who are frustrated with issues specifically affecting Live and no other DAW on their machine? You keep on ignoring that little nugget in favor of painting me out as a complainer. Can we drop the hysterics please? Granted I wouldn't want your job, but though the issue is just a "case" to you, it prevented me from using the Evolver in Live for months. Why wouldn't I be frustrated? and why wouldn't I blame Live if it's the only DAW on my computer that was affected by sync issues???
Here!

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4#p1195534

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:11 am

Machinesworking wrote:
[nis] wrote:
3phase wrote: And.. my sync issue is not a local problem of my computer..
I was referring to Machinesworking's sync issues, who was heavily complaining and arguing with me. Luckily it seems to work for him now. He promised to post this in the sync thread, but he didn't.
??? Why are you even in tech support if you get snippy with people who are frustrated with issues specifically affecting Live and no other DAW on their machine? You keep on ignoring that little nugget in favor of painting me out as a complainer. Can we drop the hysterics please? Granted I wouldn't want your job, but though the issue is just a "case" to you, it prevented me from using the Evolver in Live for months. Why wouldn't I be frustrated? and why wouldn't I blame Live if it's the only DAW on my computer that was affected by sync issues???
Here!

sorry with all the noise i made regarding the sync issue in general i missed your actual problem..
Is it a clockout problem? thats actually the only diziplin live halfways works..at least on a mac..

Just read in the other thread that novation automap is involved.. and this is known for trouble as m-audio interfaces was known for trouble in the past..

in general live should be able to give a sold clock out.. at least when you not try to have different offset delays within the same midi interface.. that only works on some midiinterfaces..
Beside that only the remote feedback on the clock output was killing the clocking for me...what is one of the bugs i was moaning so much about...

What exactly is your problem?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:19 pm

3phase wrote: sorry with all the noise i made regarding the sync issue in general i missed your actual problem..
Is it a clockout problem? thats actually the only diziplin live halfways works..at least on a mac..

Just read in the other thread that novation automap is involved.. and this is known for trouble as m-audio interfaces was known for trouble in the past..

in general live should be able to give a sold clock out.. at least when you not try to have different offset delays within the same midi interface.. that only works on some midiinterfaces..
Beside that only the remote feedback on the clock output was killing the clocking for me...what is one of the bugs i was moaning so much about...

What exactly is your problem?
Covered in the thread you started.

Basically it seems like some third party Application or driver is messing up Live in regards to sync.
For what appear to be technical reasons, this problem didn't occur in Digital Performer or Logic.
After updating Automap, and the Logitech driver, as well as going to Snow Leopard, the problem went away and Live Sends Beat Clock sync to the Evolver decently enough. (first note is offset, but that's not a deal killer).
I've received an old copy of the older Logitech driver, which is by far the most likely suspect, I'm going to instal it tomorrow and see if Live again has sync issues so [nis] has more information for future issues like this.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Dear Ableton Headquarter!

...It's the wrong way to go Ableton! People who have been loyal to your company for years should be treated better, Much better!

Don't forget Ableton - We are the Backbone in your company! Nobody else....
Yes! I am a loyal user and I'm really pissed that I haven't received any stickers since six years! I'm all out of the green ones already. If you can send me a really big one I would appreciate it. I backed my Lexus up into a street light and made a dent on the rear bumper. I don't have the money to fix it as it's quite expensive and I haven't been ABLE TO sell any cool tracks because I'm stuck with ABLETON.
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:05 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Don't forget Ableton - We are the Backbone in your company! Nobody else....
you're not a backbone anymore if you want your stuff for free. doensn't pay the bills.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 pm

^ yeah, that would be fat... cellulite style.

dj_blueprint

Post by dj_blueprint » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Actually, the up front cost of Live should be higher (or stay the same) and the upgrade costs should be lower depending on what version you started with - and if you upgraded sequentially instead of jumping from, say, 5 to 8.

maybe a tiered 10% off (subtract the version you started with from the latest version x10% = percentage off the upgrade) with a maximum of 50% off. That also depends on if you upgraded sequentially.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:57 pm

with round numbers....

10% off of $250 (x) 10,000 users = $250,000

:idea: I wonder how many coder's salaries you can pay with that? :?

40% off of $250 (x) 5,000 users = $500,000

:idea: I wonder how many bills you can pay with that? :?

its really cool spending Ableton's profits. I'd buy a phat car and a house if I could just write off 750,000 Ableton bucks. I'd even buy Live 9 when it came out... something tells me that might take a while though, if ever, under this new model.

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:32 pm

ableton kicks ass. i just spent the last three hours making a phat set for parties, and it was fun...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:42 pm

ShelLuser wrote:Oh; and I really admire [nis]' guts & efforts here!
no doubt.

I know everybody means well with these ideas they have on how Ableton can make less and we can get more, but Abe's Suite pricing is that deal. The sooner everyone accepts that and moves on or just... moves on, the sooner they can stop paying people to do P.R. because they did something nice by not making us wait until after we upgrade to Live 9, for AMP. Seriously!?! Go ahead... make them regret it people. you'll show them!! :roll:

"but Logic does this and DP does that, Reason has that and Fruity Loops has a this..." THEN USE EM!!! Last I checked this is the Ableton forum... not the Not Logic or the Little Less Than Maschine forum. Try that shit on Apple. Tell them about what Linux or Microsoft has and see if they give you a free gift... Try it with Microsoft. Try it with other DAWs... Try it with your car, your cell phone, your shoes, your tattoos, your girlfriend... RMV

I'm sure they've learned their lesson: Give nothing away because the ensuing bitch fest and 30+ gigs on the forum server's hard drive of posts on how they can make less profit just isn't worth it.

Thanks Ableton. I completely understand if you never do it again. Thanks none the less.
- g

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:59 pm

One thing to consider here - you're right, they COULD have included AMP as a feature in Live 9.

To my mind this COULD mean that Live 9 is not due imminently, and is a gap filler. Which is a good thing because L8 and the partnership programs which are meant to accompany L8 such as M4L and Serato Bridge, are some way from being satisfactorily completed in the opinion of a significant number of users.

As for anything else, sales, incentives, etc. come and go. Here and elsewhere. If you manage to pick up a deal then great, otherwise - better luck next time, you can either wait and there's a good chance more incentives will appear in the future, or buy another software which will also probably frustrate and run similar business practices.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:32 am

leedsquietman wrote:One thing to consider here - you're right, they COULD have included AMP as a feature in Live 9.

To my mind this COULD mean that Live 9 is not due imminently, and is a gap filler. Which is a good thing because L8 and the partnership programs which are meant to accompany L8 such as M4L and Serato Bridge, are some way from being satisfactorily completed in the opinion of a significant number of users.

As for anything else, sales, incentives, etc. come and go. Here and elsewhere. If you manage to pick up a deal then great, otherwise - better luck next time, you can either wait and there's a good chance more incentives will appear in the future, or buy another software which will also probably frustrate and run similar business practices.
well i for 1 realy hope that its a hint live 9 isnt far away, maybee will see more content from the same partner and this is a small taster, unfortunalty i bought komplete 7 on monday so its kind of knocked the shine off the AMP as im overwhelmed with kompletes awesome content. but i apreciate the addition of amp and fully realise this could have been part of a payed upgrade.

ive lost a lot of faith in the ableton company over the last year, but i dont like to see them being bashed for what is a giveaway that neednt have happened.

doesnt matter if its a marketing ploy, bribe, peace offering, its come out of the blue and its free.

i think its a shame that the gesture is being tainted by the prevelant attitude of some who feel they are owed something. and that this is that something and that its not good enough.