show all mappable parameters of a given plugin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Laura_Live

show all mappable parameters of a given plugin

Post by Laura_Live » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:19 pm

how can I see all mappable parameters of a given plugin ?

Live used to just show them all when clicked on that little triangle right to the on/off button.

Laura

twisted-space

Re: show all mappable parameters of a given plugin

Post by twisted-space » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 pm

You can't show all mapable parameters, only the first 127.
Put the following line in your options.txt file (it's on your preferences folder, location depends on os)

-_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=127.

Laura_Live

Post by Laura_Live » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 pm

twisted-space wrote:You can't show all mapable parameters, only the first 127.
Put the following line in your options.txt file (it's on your preferences folder, location depends on os)

-_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=127.
Doesn't work :-(

I created an Options.txt file in the preferences folder and included that line...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:08 pm

It works here, what o/s are you on?

Laura_Live

Post by Laura_Live » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

twisted-space wrote:It works here, what o/s are you on?
Windows 7

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Don't you find it easier to just hit configure and click on the plug-in's parameters you want to add to the list? So much easiesr than searching through 128 pre-assigned to find the one you're looking for (if it even made it in to the first 128).
Professional Shark Jumper.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:36 am

Laura_Live wrote:
twisted-space wrote:It works here, what o/s are you on?
Windows 7
Same here, not sure whats going on then.
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Don't you find it easier to just hit configure and click on the plug-in's parameters you want to add to the list? So much easiesr than searching through 128 pre-assigned to find the one you're looking for (if it even made it in to the first 128).
That would be perfect if live remembered the parameters you have chosen, as it is, you need to either use the configure button every time you load a plugin, or rack every plugin just so live will remember what you've done. Once in a rack you only get the macros assigned for control on my remote sl in template 40, to get the vst's parameters assigned you have to use the mouse to select it.
If live fully supported novation automap, it would be less of an issue, but constantly switching between template 38 and 40 to go from controlling the mixer to controlling my plugins gets tedious. Most of my plugins have less than 128 parameters, and you quickly get to know where the ones you want are, so I leave the sl25 on template 40 and use the page buttons to get to the parameters I need to tweak.
If Live would either:
Remember which parameters have been "configured" or....
Work properly with Novation automap (mixer control in template 38).
Then the configure button would become useful, at the moment, for me, it's a step backwards. I prefered how it worked in live 7.

Sorry for dragging the thread ot, and for the rant, but you did ask. :oops:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:14 am

twisted-space wrote:...as it is, you need to either use the configure button every time you load a plugin, or rack every plugin just so live will remember what you've done. Once in a rack you only get the macros assigned for control on my remote sl in template 40, to get the vst's parameters assigned you have to use the mouse to select it.
You do realize that you can ungroup a rack right? It's as simple as right-click > ungroup.

I rack all my instruments and effects VSTs with the most commonly used parameters assigned in an order I want. You can still access all the parameters for instant mapping by simply selecting the instrument instead of the rack. And if you want it to be the first device so that track selection goes directly to it, simply ungroup it.

I find it much easier to hit one ungroup command than to sift through a hundred parameters and drag the ones I want to the front every time.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
twisted-space wrote:...as it is, you need to either use the configure button every time you load a plugin, or rack every plugin just so live will remember what you've done. Once in a rack you only get the macros assigned for control on my remote sl in template 40, to get the vst's parameters assigned you have to use the mouse to select it.
You do realize that you can ungroup a rack right? It's as simple as right-click > ungroup.

I rack all my instruments and effects VSTs with the most commonly used parameters assigned in an order I want. You can still access all the parameters for instant mapping by simply selecting the instrument instead of the rack. And if you want it to be the first device so that track selection goes directly to it, simply ungroup it.

I find it much easier to hit one ungroup command than to sift through a hundred parameters and drag the ones I want to the front every time.
I'm delighted you've found a workflow that suits you.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:45 am

twisted-space wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:

I'm delighted you've found a workflow that suits you.
Don't worry, I'm confident that one day you too will discover the magic of the ungroup command. :wink:

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
twisted-space wrote: I'm delighted you've found a workflow that suits you.
Don't worry, I'm confident that one day you too will discover the magic of the ungroup command. :wink:
I somehow doubt it, but thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:50 pm

twisted-space wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
twisted-space wrote: I'm delighted you've found a workflow that suits you.
I somehow doubt it, but thanks for the kind words of encouragement.
:P