motu Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid problems

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
mrfart

motu Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid problems

Post by mrfart » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 pm

I wish i hadn't bought this motu.
It has been a dissapointment on all fronts.
The buildquality isn't as good (touching one of the jackcables is sometimes enough to let the audio drop out, my main out gives cracks and pops);
The drivers are embarisingly bad. glitches all over the place. It takes very long for windows to find it again if it's accidentally unpugged or turned of, etc...
and their helpdesk doesn't reply me anymore after their standard "install the latest drivers" reply.
that's why I'm posting my questions here in the hope somebody can help me.

Normally, I use my 3 and 4 output because the 1 and 2 give glitches.
But in ableton, with all outs turned on in the config. panel, I don't get any sound.
the only way I can get sound, is if I put my outcables back into 1 and 2 and (this is the weird part) put the out in ableton on 3 and 4.
The headphone I havn't even been able to get working at all.

Same for the audio in.
In cuefx I can see the volumemeters working, and I can even record the incoming sound, but whatever I try, I don't hear sound.

i hope somebody will be able to help me. This is the most expensive piece of audiohardware I ever bought, and it's also hands down the worst.

Anyway, If this doens't work I'm gonna buy a Presonus firestudio mobile...
I just want quality sound with rocksolid drivers. But that's a lot to ask apparently...

Does anybody know if the Presonus reconnects immediatly after acidental dissconnect (in windows). And how are their drivers in general?
macpro dual-quad 2.8 GHz, Win vista, 8 GB Ram, motu ultralite mk3, UC-33, Ableton Live 7, novation X-station 49, 2 x Technics SL 1210, Ecler smac42, loads of chocolate

håkan bråkan

Re: motu Ultralite-mk3 Hybrid problems

Post by håkan bråkan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Do you experience problems in both windows and os x? I'm planning to buy this interface but I will use it in os x. Doesn't sound good with the build quality issues that you describe.

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:45 am

I own the mk3 also (not the hybrid) I can't report any negatives concerning it's quality (have you ever hold an interface with a big M on it in your hands?) it's rather the quality of your jacks. Or they downgraded the quality of the built-in parts between mk3 and mk3 Hybrid?!?

But at first I also had the same problems with the at that time latest driver and the correct routing. I had to switch back to the driver on cd until they fixed the at that time latest driver...

Assumed you have the latest driver (which is working now) please consider the I/O scheme for the UltraLite:

* INPUT
o 1-2 : Analog 1-2 (XLR/TRS)
o 3-8 : Analog 3-8 (TRS)
o 9-10 : S/PDIF 1-2
o 11-12 : Mix1
* OUTPUT
o 1-2 : Main Outs
o 3-10 : Analog 1-8
o 11-12 : S/PDIF 1-2
o 13-14 : Phones 1-2

Note: If the Phones are not specified as a discrete output (for example, they're mirroring the Main Outs), they will not appear as output 13-14.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... ly-numbers

I'm very happy with my UltraLite since I found out how everything work, especial the functional range of Cue Mix is huge...

(MOTU'S tech support is very dull, better to contact the distribution of your homecountry. In my case "KLEMM Music Technology" in Germany gave me great support.)

håkan bråkan

Post by håkan bråkan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:04 pm

Cool, think I'll order an ultralite hybrid and sennheiser hd 25 II for gigs. With the ultralite it seems possible to use it as a standalone mixer, however I don't know how easy it is to fiddle with the levels using the lcd interface (when on stage especially).

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:12 am

håkan bråkan wrote:Cool, think I'll order an ultralite hybrid and sennheiser hd 25 II for gigs. With the ultralite it seems possible to use it as a standalone mixer, however I don't know how easy it is to fiddle with the levels using the lcd interface (when on stage especially).
I think it's a good choice because the UltraLite is imho one of the best interfaces out there and only RME's FireFace can beat it. But I have choosen UltraLite because of the capabilities of CueMix and the lower price.

If you don't have stubby fingers it will be no problem to fiddle the knobs... :wink:

mrfart

Post by mrfart » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:48 am

I tried asking for some more help at MOTU.
I havn't used the ultralite anymore, except for normal listening to music on the computer because I can't get it to work.
But now I would like to simply route the audio from another computer to a stereo pair of inputs (3-4 in this case) but I havn't been able to get it going.
I clearly I get audio in cue fx, (I can seee the volumemeters of the channel go up and down with the input music), but I can't get it to play trough my speakers.
What am I doing wrong?

I have the speakers connected to the main outs, but I tried the other ones too to be sure (and each time changing the default outs in windows).
I never get to hear the sound coming from the inputs.
I tried to change the default recording input in windows,
tried all the inputs,
tried different software to record,
tried all the settings in the cuemix fx software.
But I can't get any sound.

I really havn't got a clue anymore, and MOTU doesn't reply me again after the standard reply ("do you hear sound when playing something on mediaplayer).
The sound is there, the volumemeters in cuemix fx go up and down with the soundinput, but I can't get it to go to th speakers :)
I know that the ins/outs numbers don't match the ones you have to use in the software $4mU3l (but thanks for helping), but thats not really the problem. I tried them all anyway :)
macpro dual-quad 2.8 GHz, Win vista, 8 GB Ram, motu ultralite mk3, UC-33, Ableton Live 7, novation X-station 49, 2 x Technics SL 1210, Ecler smac42, loads of chocolate

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:20 am

mrfart wrote:I tried asking for some more help at MOTU.
I havn't used the ultralite anymore, except for normal listening to music on the computer because I can't get it to work.
But now I would like to simply route the audio from another computer to a stereo pair of inputs (3-4 in this case) but I havn't been able to get it going.
I clearly I get audio in cue fx, (I can seee the volumemeters of the channel go up and down with the input music), but I can't get it to play trough my speakers.
What am I doing wrong?

I have the speakers connected to the main outs, but I tried the other ones too to be sure (and each time changing the default outs in windows).
I never get to hear the sound coming from the inputs.
I tried to change the default recording input in windows,
tried all the inputs,
tried different software to record,
tried all the settings in the cuemix fx software.
But I can't get any sound.

I really havn't got a clue anymore, and MOTU doesn't reply me again after the standard reply ("do you hear sound when playing something on mediaplayer).
The sound is there, the volumemeters in cuemix fx go up and down with the soundinput, but I can't get it to go to th speakers :)
I know that the ins/outs numbers don't match the ones you have to use in the software $4mU3l (but thanks for helping), but thats not really the problem. I tried them all anyway :)
Get sure the channel isn't muted and the mix has got the correct output!?!

mrfart

Post by mrfart » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:40 pm

$4mU3l wrote:
Get sure the channel isn't muted and the mix has got the correct output!?!

Yeah thanks.
I unchecked the mute buttons and changed the bus 1 settings before, but it didn't work. But now I got it to work.
I guess inbetween changing the windows audio, my output in cuefx etc,... I must have skipped one.
I have to keep using the 3/4 outs though, the main outs give pops and glitches (tried with other cables and computer).