Problem: Virus TI recording automation in arrangement view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gtrance

Problem: Virus TI recording automation in arrangement view

Post by Gtrance » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

Hello,

Have live 8 and a virus TI. Have used both together with no issues for ages.

However, recently I have started recording automation on the TI in arrangement view whilst tweaking the knobs on the synth. Here comes the problem: Say for example, I automate and record the filter cutoff on the TI. Then I want to automate and record the filter envelope amount in the same section of the arrangement. I hit record, press play and as soon as I start tweaking the filter envelope knob, the filter cutoff automation gets wiped as the play bar moves along.

I can automate and record two different virus paramters at the same time and it records both no problem. But if I then want to record another paramter in the same section, any previously recorded automation gets wiped.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope someone has an answer.

Thanks

Greg

Ableton_David

Re: Problem: Virus TI recording automation in arrangement view

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi Greg, do you have the track armed for recording? This would have it overwrite all automation settings while recording. If you're looking to change specific parameters in separate run-throughs, then you just need to have global recording enabled.

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:14 pm

David Abravanel wrote:Hi Greg, do you have the track armed for recording? This would have it overwrite all automation settings while recording. If you're looking to change specific parameters in separate run-throughs, then you just need to have global recording enabled.
Yes I think that's exactly what I've been doing. I assumed the track had to be armed for any automation to be recorded. Feel a bit stupid now but thanks very much for clearing that up for me.

I've been doing a crazy workaround of recording automation, cutting and moving it out the way, allowing me to record different automation, and then moving it all back together afterwards! Doh!!

Thanks again.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:46 pm

Hey, no problem, and no need to feel stupid - the answer always seems obvious in retrospect :)