Ableton Live 64-bit, when?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jasperhb

Ableton Live 64-bit, when?

Post by jasperhb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Ableton Live 8 is great. The 8.2 release is great. Hey, if I didn't love Ableton so much as a I do, I wouldn't raise this plea: when will we see a 64-bit version of Ableton Live?

And no, this not about being techno-driven for the sake of techology; I do actually run out of memory ressources before I run out of CPU (or any other other ressources for that matter), which is partly because the Freeze function in Ableton is such a great thing(*) - ... yeah I know, I'm being an unhanksful customer now, forgive me.

Btw: Melodyne and more than 90 % of my favorite plug-in are already good to go 100 % 64 bit, or very close to doing so. So don't waste time on buinding 32 <-> 64 VSTi bridges, if that is what is holding you back, just go all the way and other will/must/should follow.

So, in the name of love, please go 64-bit soon, Ableton Live, on Windows 7 x64 at least please ;-)

Thank you.

(*) Freeze does free up CPU, but it does not release memory. To release memory one has to go all the way to Flatten, which has the disadvatage of making it difficult to go back again to make changes.
Last edited by jasperhb on Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purpurkatten

Re: Ableton Live 64-bit, when?

Post by purpurkatten » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:51 pm

jasperhb wrote:Ableton Live 8 is great. The 8.2 release is great. Hey, if I didn't love Ableton so much as a I do, I wouldn't raise this plea: when will we see a 64-bit version of Ableton Live?

And no, this not about being techno-driven for the sake of techology; I do actually run out of memory ressource before I run out of CPU (or any other other ressource for that matter), which is partly because the Freeze function in Ableton is such a great thing(*) - ... yeah I know, I'm being an unhanksful customer now, forgive me.

Btw: Melodyne and more than 90 % of my favorite plug-in are already good to go 100 % 64 bit, or very close to doing so. So don't waste time on buinding 32 <-> 64 VSTi bridges, if that is what is holding you back, just go all the way and other will/must/should follow.

So, in the name of love, please go 64-bit soon, Ableton Live, on Windows 7 x64 at least please ;-)

Thank you.

(*) Freeze does free up CPU, but it does no release memory. To release memory one has to go all the way to Flatten, which has the disadvatage of making it difficult to go back again to make changes.
I agree completely. Ableton please give us 64-bit!

TonKazanKezan

Post by TonKazanKezan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 pm

anotherone here, I want to save 4/5 hour files and now I have to split them up!
(but it's really the only complaint I have about this program)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

i noticed that all plugins exist as two dlls, one with _64 in it.

so at least they are working on it.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:59 pm

I also really wish that freezing freed up the ram.
Professional Shark Jumper.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I heard its coming out next Monday.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:17 pm

it would be good if we could even get official confirmation as to whether its comming in live 9 or not. regardless of when that might be.

64 bit is probably the additional feature i need most at the moment.

bulo

Post by bulo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Do you really need so much bit to make no music?
:arrow:
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

jasonjbundy

Post by jasonjbundy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:14 pm

I am all for the 64bit version of Live for Windows & Mac. Hopefully it will not be a paid update (yeah right).

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 am

I am constantly running out of ram and crashing 8.2 with the new plugins I use. :(

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 pm

with East/West Play, Kontakt, Omnishere, Stylus RMX, Trillian...

64-bit is needed...

ASAP!!!!

i would pay the upgrade price just for 64-bit...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:30 pm

studiologic wrote:with East/West Play, Kontakt, Omnishere, Stylus RMX, Trillian...

64-bit is needed...
I guess this is one area where having a mac is pretty great. Spectrasonics products allow you to use memory outside of the host with their memory server. So does Kontakt. Kontakt does it for PC too right?

Kontakt, Omnisphere and Trilian are the big ram hogs for me, so luckily they can all use ram outside Ableton. But if I wasn't on a mac, I'm thinking I'd be choking on that 2gb limit (more like 1.5 in practice), given some of the ram hungry instruments nowadays.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:49 pm

can someone explain why 64 bit is "better"?

I thought it was some magic processing thing under the hood that makes it "sound better" in a manner that no one can really determine or explain. So it makes it run faster? More memory?

Thanks for any not bullsh*t insight.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:59 pm

64bit applications can access more than 4gb of memory. that's the main deal. actually, it's more like more than 2gb of memory for most apps/os settings. but 4gb would be the physical max, an application could directly adress.

so, just like going 64bit in your os allows you to have more than 4gb of ram for your system (8gb right now here), a 64 bit app allows to actually USE more than 4gb of ram (or 2, as said).

so it's mostly about removing the ram-boundaries apps hit right now.

on windows, a 64bit platform can use up to 16TB.

so a 64bit version of live could use up to 16TB of ram :)

other than that, the 64bit architecture has some optimisations enabled, like more registers, bigger registers, that lead to possibly faster code. that can be up to 20% faster speed from identical code, when compiled as 64bit binary.

but the biggest, by far biggest gain is the use of more ram.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Jekblad wrote:can someone explain why 64 bit is "better"?

I thought it was some magic processing thing under the hood that makes it "sound better" in a manner that no one can really determine or explain. So it makes it run faster? More memory?

Thanks for any not bullsh*t insight.
The 64 bit you're thinking of is the audio engine. That happened already and to be honestly doesn't make a difference to 99% of most people's projects, but is good to be able to say you're on the cutting edge of sound quality.

The 64 bit in this case is taking advantage 64 bit operating systems, allowing more use of ram. The limit to an applications ram usage under 32 bit was 4gb (I think?). 64 has a theoretical limit that is stupidly large. Anyways, an app has to go to 64 bit to allow the use of more ram and to allow plug-ins to use more ram than the 32 bit limit.