Synth stab sounds

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
leighbeynon

Synth stab sounds

Post by leighbeynon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:51 pm

So I'm just trying to find a simple synth stab you can hear it in plenty if techno or house tracks and I seem to only find overly complicated patchs maybe sine one can help me out here
I've included a link to make it easier

http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tp age&cr=titles&cv=67624&alias=djpages

many thanks leigh
LPB

leighbeynon

Re: Synth stab sounds

Post by leighbeynon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Any one jusg some ideas a recommendation
maybe, hypersonic 2 just doesn't do this sound very well
LPB

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:22 pm

the link just goes to traksource s home page so dont know what track you mean?
how i do a stab is a sawtooth with a lowpass filter and an envelope set to effect the lowpass filter with fast attack, no sustain, no reliese and adjust the decay until you get the shape u want so the filter sweeps very quickly from full open to full closed when you hit a key. thats the basics of it after you just tweek things like like sustain, envelope amount, try adding oscillators and or changing waveforms, adding white noise with a very sharp decay to get a click at the start adds aggression.
i use NI massive for this. assigning envelopes to a parameter is so easy and there's 4 of them 8)
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:36 pm

damn it really sorry , please try this link

mix 3
http://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act ... as=djpages

almost sounds like a keyboard sound ??
LPB

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Sounds like a LP or BP filtered saw wave with strong resonance to give it that hollow-ish stand-out tone. Make sure the amplitude envelope is short (like percussion almost), maybe just the slightest bit of filter envelope, but for the most part, it ought to settle itself out.

After that, you have to make sure that you are doing chords, not just individual notes.

Then you can be creative with augmenting the oscillator soundsource in different ways. Saw might be just fine, you could do fm synthesis, or layering of osc's, detuning? or use a sine with a touch of FM, sky is the limit, if you have the above settings, things should work.

Lastly, to give it that 3D sound, you play with panning/timing tricks (chorus? spread? delay? rev?).

The main thing that seems to stand out is that strong resonance to push it through the mix. And of course, it being a chord (you could use the chord midi effect and play with some presets? :P)

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:30 pm

many thanks for the tips, i gave it a whirl at the weekend and struggled to get the desired sound, i was working with NI massive cant quite get it similar, if i filter and then add resonance the sound is very much dull and in the background i can eq it to help but its still not a clear sound ?
LPB

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 pm

try the bandpass filter, and nothing too bassy, kinda in the mids. remember the resonance. keep in mind that you have to find the appropriate octave to work in. too low and its garbly. too high and it isn't as stabby. I sort of had luck doing one square and one saw wave. the resonance i had around 2 i think. whatever that is. i was using operator myself. If you keep trying, listening, comparing. you should be able to get it very close. If you are missing any elements, you can always add another synth for bottom or top end.

.. i should probably stop trying to figure this out though as my experience on this topic is limited.