Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
outershpongolia

Re: Do you reckon Native instruments are going to build a daw. .

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 am

n8tron wrote:The market is pretty saturated. What would they bring to the table??

I would hope that anyones plans would be STABILITY..

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm

n8tron wrote:The market is pretty saturated. What would they bring to the table??
well...
they seem to be bringing stuff to the table already with..
maschine (vs MPC/ROLAND MV8800)
Traktor (vs Serato /Deckadance /miss pinky etc)
...I'm guessing it's way more popular than Live for DJs/Venues

they also have 'beat-port'... which is kicking the competitors butts foe electronic tracks..

they have soundcards...

...and doing a pretty good job as far as I can tell.. people are pleased.
I'm thinking they can pretty much do as they choose..
because they usually do it right...
(if not the first time around... then the second...
see :Kore1 vs Kore2 for an example
RigKontrol1 vs 2)

if everything integrates...
they could offer you a complete working environment which will kick a lot of butt..
(thinking ... a daw with reaktor embedded inside...surround support... full midi support... etc etc)

there IS ALWAYS room for innovation..

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Hmm... Just because they can doesn't mean they should. There's already too many DAWs and it would be quite an undertaking and allocating of finite resources to compete with something like Logic. More options to choose from is not a good thing after a certain point.

I'm very grateful they put out Maschine because it is one of those things that are fairly rare in software these days: certain limitations and particular workflows built-in to the whole setup that actually encourages decision-making to help people actually make music instead of endlessly adjusting settings of the latest technological features. NI knew exactly what they were doing with their vision of Maschine and I'd rather they do more of that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm

tlennon wrote:I really don't see it happening. The DAW market is pretty competitive already and I doubt that NI would be interested in developing the closed system paradigm as Propellerhead.
The DAW market, yes. The live performance market, no. And nobody other the Ableton is more geared towards live performance than NI. So maybe not a DAW per se, but something more along the lines of competing with Ableton with a full live performance package.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:00 pm

beats me wrote:
tlennon wrote:I really don't see it happening. The DAW market is pretty competitive already and I doubt that NI would be interested in developing the closed system paradigm as Propellerhead.
The DAW market, yes. The live performance market, no. And nobody other the Ableton is more geared towards live performance than NI. So maybe not a DAW per se, but something more along the lines of competing with Ableton with a full live performance package.
Well, they already have Kore and Maschine which are both quite formidable. And since they've just announced better integration between Maschine and Battery, it's not hard to imagine the others becoming more integrated either.

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:20 pm

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:25 pm

lasersounds wrote:
the people that made the neko are bankrupt and had a forclosure sale because the bank was after them.
?

Open Labs is still around:

http://openlabs.com/

ew

tamtam

Post by tamtam » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 pm

humnumb wrote:I highly doubt NI will put out a DAW. This would go against what seems to be their modular philosophy and approach in the way their tools are designed.
meh ... the same could have been said before they started to do hardware. And their hardware isn't modular in that sense at all.
A "daw" aimed at performance would actually be a clever move, now that ableton is focussing on other things.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 pm

tamtam wrote:
humnumb wrote:I highly doubt NI will put out a DAW. This would go against what seems to be their modular philosophy and approach in the way their tools are designed.
meh ... the same could have been said before they started to do hardware. And their hardware isn't modular in that sense at all.
A "daw" aimed at performance would actually be a clever move, now that ableton is focussing on other things.
NI doesn't do "hardware", other than audio interfaces. They do make dedicated controllers for their software which are modular in the sense that they are made to fit easily into different existing setups.

"A "daw" aimed at performance"... I thought that's what Live was. Although Ableton did go from being a performance tool to wanting to be a DAW. I'm not sure what a "performance oriented DAW" would be though. Sounds like an oxymoron.