Volume automation tip

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
crumhorn

Re: Volume automation tip

Post by crumhorn » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 pm

The problem with that approach is that you can't fade to minus infinity.

An alternative approach is to put the track into a group by itself. Then use the Group fader for interactive mixing and the channel fader for automation. But it can't be applied to master/return tracks

Another approach which can be used on the master/return tracks and also goes down to minus infinity is to drop your utility into an audio effect rack and then automate the chain volume.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

flippo

Post by flippo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 am

crumhorn wrote:The problem with that approach is that you can't fade to minus infinity.

An alternative approach is to put the track into a group by itself. Then use the Group fader for interactive mixing and the channel fader for automation. But it can't be applied to master/return tracks

Another approach which can be used on the master/return tracks and also goes down to minus infinity is to drop your utility into an audio effect rack and then automate the chain volume.
don't really need the utility, just drop an empty rack in there :)
funken wrote: I don't really know what it means about not going to minus infinity.
maximum gain attenuation from utility is -35db, which generally won't give you silence.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:49 am

flippo wrote:
funken wrote: I don't really know what it means about not going to minus infinity.
oops, I made a mental note to add a reply but then it totally slipped my mind, soz, :oops:

@flippo - thanks
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

duckpow

Post by duckpow » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 am

There is another way to do it, without using any plugins: Start in session view and open up envelopes for the clip/loop, there you can make a direct automation of the fader (going to -infinity :) ) and still adjust the master fader. copy-paste that to your arrangement view, if that's were you like to work.
- Well... but no!

Quantize

Post by Quantize » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:01 pm

And another way.....

Sonalksis give away a free metering tool with a fader (called the Free G) and this can be used as the last plug in your chain. A good option because of the quality of the metering.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:55 pm

@quantize
why do you need "good quality" metering? more like, what is the advantage of quality metering?

Is the peak zone different on different meters? As in abletons built in meters between FX racks are showing green but your really peaking?

@thread
I usually use clip envelopes for this
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

d.reamonn

Post by d.reamonn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Automate track volume, adjust overall track volume with Utility.

Or use the gain output on any plugs you have on that track, eg. Compressor, etc.

Either way.