Akai Pro Dub Gabriel “No Lies” Remix Competition!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
destroyallconcepts

Akai Pro Dub Gabriel “No Lies” Remix Competition!

Post by destroyallconcepts » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:10 pm

FOR MORE INFO GO TO> http://www.akaipro.com/gabrielofficial

Destroy All Concepts has partnered with Akai Pro, Ableton, Official.fm and Dubspot to bring you the Dub Gabriel "No Lies" Remix Competition. Roll up your sleeves, dive in, dig deep and you could win big. No Lie.

About the track: Dub Gabriel's Restless Youth EP has been storming dacefloors worldwide since it's release. The lead track, “No Lies”, features MC Zulu (Poirier/Soulico) who delivers one of the deepest, heaviest dancehall-meets-dubstep vocals of the year.

Your Mission: Take the mix parts from the track “No Lies” and make it your own!

The Prizes

1st Place: One Akai APC40 controller brought to you by Akai Pro. One copy of Ableton Live 8. Online tuition package for Dubspot’s groundbreaking Ableton Live production course. Your remix will be released digitally by Destroy all Concepts on a Dub Gabriel remix EP in 2011.

2nd Place: One Akai APC20 controller brought to you by Akai Pro. Your remix will released digitally by Destroy all Concepts on a Dub Gabriel remix EP in 2011.

3rd Place: One Akai APC20 controller brought to you by Akai Pro. Your remix will be released digitally by Destroy all Concepts on a Dub Gabriel remix EP in 2011.

The Judges

Dub Gabriel: The man himself! DG can't wait to hear what y'all are going to cook up!

Scientist: Legendary dub producer and one of the founding fathers of the modern remix.

El-P: Revolutionary underground hip hop artist, producer and owner of Definitive Jux Records.

Mark Pistel: DG collaborator and seminal electronic producer known for his work with Meat Beat Manifesto, Tino Corp, Grace Jones and, currently a member of Hercules and Love Affair.

Dan Giove aka DJ G OV: Founder of Dubspot. the trailblazing New York digital music production academy.

RajahP

Re: Akai Pro Dub Gabriel “No Lies” Remix Competition!

Post by RajahP » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Nice

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:20 am

PROMOTE! Don’t forget to tell your fans, friends and family about your remix!!! On November 16th 2010 we will be adding your remixes to the Official.fm player on this page so that the public can listen to them and vote for their favorites by clicking on the “Heart” icon. The player is very cool and can easily be shared via Twitter, email, Facebook and can also be embedded on your blog or website. Public voting will run for 2 weeks and the top six remixes will be submitted to the guest judges for their final decision.
They got good music to remix and its assessed by quality judges too!!!

BUT it looks like a popularity/marketing contest more than a remix contest...

Its a shame when marketing/remix comps like this dress themselves up as a chance for new music to be heard and exposed.
The odds are stacked against it when only 6 of the most pushed networked, tweeted, spacebooked and bragged about tracks
are the most likely to only get judged let alone win anything.

How hard would it be to judge more than 6 tracks in a 'remix' comp. meh.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:31 am

That is a very salient point. I had missed that wrinkle.

I was seriously considering submitting an entry for this as it's right up my alley stylistically. But as you point out, it comes down to a lobbying exercise. I don't feel inclined to work my butt off producing a quality rmx when chances are it'll get pipped by a kid with more cyberfriends than me.

I don't mean to imply "I clearly possess the winning talent!!!" - but it seems talent will be by-no-means the deciding criteria in the contest. :(
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:02 pm

yes, it's a bit of a two edge sword imo....

my and my partner doctah x [who happen to be a friend and collaborator of dub gabriel] did something similar for public records [http://www.publicrecordings.co.uk/] when they had their compilation contest although it was based on original trax not rmx.
the track didn't make it although it was close and we did a bit of twitting and facing and all that but i think most of the votes came locally..... and i feel that you will get something back no matter what happens in the end - you worked on something exciting [to me rmxs are always exciting:)] and accomplished something that a lot of people will see/hear. that's not a waist at all and for those 'well established' in the industry might not matter much but for unknown or up and coming artist it could be rewarding - you're determined to do something creative based on certain set rules, you become quite motivated imo.....

so....f**k it - jus do it and have fun with if u got the time
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Pitch Black wrote:That is a very salient point. I had missed that wrinkle.

I was seriously considering submitting an entry for this as it's right up my alley stylistically. But as you point out, it comes down to a lobbying exercise. I don't feel inclined to work my butt off producing a quality rmx when chances are it'll get pipped by a kid with more cyberfriends than me.

I don't mean to imply "I clearly possess the winning talent!!!" - but it seems talent will be by-no-means the deciding criteria in the contest. :(
yep

destroyallconcepts

Post by destroyallconcepts » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Both Dub Gabriel and Destroy All Concepts will be listening to every remix and if a remix we like allot is not part of the top public voting we will make an exception and enter it for the judging panel, we want you to be able to share it with your friends and get the word out, but at the end of the day, we want quality to shine!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:09 pm

destroyallconcepts wrote:Both Dub Gabriel and Destroy All Concepts will be listening to every remix and if a remix we like allot is not part of the top public voting we will make an exception and enter it for the judging panel, we want you to be able to share it with your friends and get the word out, but at the end of the day, we want quality to shine!
Well thank you for that!

Urge to enter.... Rising!! :D

rekloos

Post by rekloos » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

destroyallconcepts wrote:Both Dub Gabriel and Destroy All Concepts will be listening to every remix and if a remix we like allot is not part of the top public voting we will make an exception and enter it for the judging panel, we want you to be able to share it with your friends and get the word out, but at the end of the day, we want quality to shine!

like the man said, in the end it is about quality
rekloos presents: BASS KULTURE : all things dubwise ! Every Sunday @12PM / Fridays @6PM(EST):
http://radio614.org/

dub album out now on juno&beatport:
http://bit.ly/S26jun
http://bit.ly/SS26bp

running with scissors.

DaffyDub

Post by DaffyDub » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Hmmmmm.... I participated in remix contents before.... will probably do it again... but I can't help thinking to myself that they're a bunch of cheap b*******..... YOU win an APC 40 + live 8 both of which are probably donated for free by the respective company's...
THEY win ALL the rights to ALL the submitted mixes.... we're talking thousands of man hours, creative and technical skills, artistic rights to god knows how many tracks..... GET IN THE GAME RECORD LABELS - Share a fair point of royalties with the artists!!!!!!

In my country, there's a remix contest on at the moment where the prize is: 15% of the sales royalties + 15% "composers rights" meaning: if the track becomes a hit - the winner actually gets paid for his work.....

Imagine someone doing a FANTASTIC remix... which sells 200.000 copies and gets round the clock airplay - then the label + original artist will make big bucks, and the creator of the track gets and APC + LIVE which adss up to what?? 650€ or so?????? (in streetvalue... the label has maybe spent 200€ or so)

So - you may say - the winning remixer will get a lot of exposure.... Well maybe.... but who except for other musicians REALLY notice who made the remix? my guess is that 97% of the "credit" for the mix goes to....... THE ORIGINAL ARTIST

So... that's my two sour cents
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Excellent.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

destroyallconcepts

Post by destroyallconcepts » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey DaffyDub, I really wish we were as big time as you make us sound. We are just an independent record label that are blessed that we can get involved such great sponsors as we got to offer such a cool contest that offers a prize as good as we can offer. It helps us market our releases and offers to others a compensation and exposer well beyond what we can do as a label alone. If you do choose to enter, we will be more then happy to give you the percentage you mentioned instead of the prize. I am not sure if you have realized that both record industry sales are at a all time low and that we are a underground label doing underground music. But if you did some research and looked what the avg. sales are for a dub/dubstep remix, I think you would be just as happy to be offered such a cool prize and involved in such a cool contest as we are to be able to offer it.
All the remixes that do not win will be available through creative commons licensing, which means, even though you will not be able to release or sell the remix as, you will be able to give it away, share with friends or fans, perform with it etc.
Everyone here at Destroy All Concepts are like you, we use and love great stuff like Akai's APC40 and Ableton and work close and are friends with the people at Dubspot. We are not major label trying to get you to remix Lady Gaga, we bringing forward something we have taken allot of hard work to offer something cool and to be able to get out our music in the same time.
we have had an incredible amount of interest in the contest which is amazing and we developed the public judging because one, it would be hard for us to be able to give the focus and dedication to each remix also, we want people like you to decide. we trust you guys in knowing what sounds great, we will be listening to every remix that comes in, but this is about the community deciding what is the top remixes. no one has time to make it a popularity contest, this is set up for skills, we don't want to release some whack remixes, we want something that is gonna be bangin! are you up for the challenge? If you feel like you have the chops, step up and show the world. In any contest, just like a game, there will be winners and there will be losers, but if you think you got game, this will be a great time to shine!

DaffyDub

Post by DaffyDub » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:16 pm

Touché :oops:

My rant is obviously not aimed at people like you.... and you're right I didn't properly research you and you label - sorry!

Rant still stands for all the comercial labels who have similar prizes and terms when they do remix contests!
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:37 pm

@ O.P.

Thanks for posting a free remix. Great to see good prizes for 1st 2nd 3rd place. This prize pack is competitive with one of beatport's remix contest which you have to pay 3.99 plus for the right to enter. Those contests I do not agree with at all.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:46 am

i like the idea off this remix competition and gonna send in a remix. Not for the APC,s but for the fun off remixing.

the one thing i don,t like is the peoples voting the best 6 remixes because the chance is that not the 6 best remixes are going through to the guest judges but the 6 remixers with the most friends on facebook or followers on twitter.