L8 stabel now?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

L8 stabel now?

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:03 pm

I would say yes..
at least since L.82, and the versions shortly before, it hasnt crashed anymore, even under heavy load on stage
the nightmare is over?

good.. maybe i think about a suite upgrade again.. with a platform that is not fun destroing its maybe worth to use integrated plugs to create or recreate your basics sample independent..
wether you like all the ableton plugs or ot..they defently cover a wide range of sounds..
its possible to stack them easily to achive allmost any desired timbre..
something that is a bit cpu eating on external monster synth plugs.

realized yesterday again that i cant really deal with the statik of loops anymore and to overcome this with filter mod here , grain stuff there is also only clouding cosmetics you hear at any corner..
to really animate a sound you need to synthezise it

anyway, we will see... but good that i get some trust in the thing again..because than you sped more time with it what ultimatly leeds to better results
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Pasha

Re: L8 stabel now?

Post by Pasha » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Although I have not tested it on stage, I can say that for me 8.2 (and 813 and 808) :-) is stable.
I'm running Live Suite and only AU is Zebra (or Zebrify) 2.5.
What I can say is that 8.2 caught me by surprise:
On my old C2D Macbook (Nov 2006) with 2GB RAM and a 2.0 Ghz CPU I can reach 75% CPU with no cracks and pops!
Before 8.2 this would have not been possible. My Macbook is running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Not what you were looking for but for me 8.2 is the best 8 so far.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:42 pm

3phase wrote:I would say yes..
at least since L.82, and the versions shortly before, it hasnt crashed anymore, even under heavy load on stage
the nightmare is over?

good.. maybe i think about a suite upgrade again.. with a platform that is not fun destroing its maybe worth to use integrated plugs to create or recreate your basics sample independent..
wether you like all the ableton plugs or ot..they defently cover a wide range of sounds..
its possible to stack them easily to achive allmost any desired timbre..
something that is a bit cpu eating on external monster synth plugs.

realized yesterday again that i cant really deal with the statik of loops anymore and to overcome this with filter mod here , grain stuff there is also only clouding cosmetics you hear at any corner..
to really animate a sound you need to synthezise it

anyway, we will see... but good that i get some trust in the thing again..because than you sped more time with it what ultimatly leeds to better results
good luck! the move to more live-internal plugins should definitely make stability only better, and not worse, anyways. so suite could iron out the last possible buggy situations some external vsts would have given you.

hope you'll enjoy operator and co :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:56 pm

davepermen wrote: good luck! the move to more live-internal plugins should definitely make stability only better, and not worse, anyways. so suite could iron out the last possible buggy situations some external vsts would have given you.

hope you'll enjoy operator and co :)
i defently can enjoy operator..just the others never was sales arguments for me..
but now with eh amp simulatio..lets say..one more and suite gets irresistable..
based on stability of cause..
i really dont like to invest time in platform dependend programming when you might change the program anyway..
lets see what L9 brings..
and i defetly want to see there some infrastructural improovments like more visual support of the group tracks,
like nameable triggerclips... and better sync of cause..
Improovements in this little, but necessary things, will show me that live is not turnig into be just a blender product...

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:18 am

8.2 has been pretty solid and I don't own suite. I just use komplete 6, reason/record rewired, and some free vst's for compression, delay, etc and things having been going well.

Things have come a long way since a year ago.

Hats off to the ableton folks for fixing the problems with 8!

Is MFL working well for people? I've been waiting to get a copy so I thought now would be a good time to ask. Also hoping that a runtime will be released in 8.5 :D
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:32 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:
Hats off to the ableton folks for fixing the problems with 8!

Is MFL working well for people? I've been waiting to get a copy so I thought now would be a good time to ask. Also hoping that a runtime will be released in 8.5 :D

+1
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I upgraded from L7 to L8 when the 8.2 update was released, and I also got hold of M4L from a very generous and helpful fellow forum member! :)

Live & M4L are both running like a dream. Obviously I can't compare to the previous L8 releases... but I can tell you I use a 3 year old Sony Vaio that is pretty beaten up and unreliable, and I've not run into any problems with L8 or M4L yet.

The real test will be when I take it on stage, of course...

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:47 pm

only crash ive had was when i let my self get distracted and started building a big sampler, already in a prety big set.

live crashed with an out of memory message.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:18 pm

I still get too many crashes. Often when using reason/rewire....often when trying to close large sets.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:36 pm

I've had one crash since upgrading to 8.2 it was when I was re-wiring. Other than that its worked really well. My biggest annoyance with L8 was constantly getting a hung app error... especially on exits and system shutdowns.

Its been nice, but I still give it the sideways glance.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:21 pm

nope

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:37 pm

Hmmm? The crash/hang when closing seems cross platform?
Since I've consolidated my entire live set into a singl instance, that's not
a deal breaker though.

Good to hear it's generally stable though. Group tracks, better time stretching algorhythms among other things would be really freaking useful! :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 pm

since last weekend I've had the same project open and have let the computer go into and out of sleep mode. no crashes, no weirdness. the LP and APC also stay connected.

/knocks on wood

latest Live download on a Dell Studio XPS 7100
set has a few Sylenths and Live native plug ins.

edit running Win7 Home 64 bit.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:11 pm

8.2 working great here.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:15 pm

ok..still some issues?
for me it sometimes reacts a bit slow.. like on loading or deltimg a track.. so i sometimes press delte again and hav 2 tracks deleted than and nee to undo the last one..

that is something i didnt had befor...
also one crash.. but that was when the laptop run out of battery and i reopened with a firewire soudcarsd plugged..
s that was a bit bold move... cant really blame live for the crash tha.. could have been any other app that was open wehn the laptop felt in the hybernating state...

nowever devenetly an improovement to things leike versin 8.13 that still was regulary carshing on my machine...
since than it got less..
and beside the metioned sleep crash none in weeks now