AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:41 am

My God.

Or

My Jobs.

The new AppleTV is fucking genius. And it's now the 2nd coolest Apple device next to the iPad.

I don't know why the fuck I didn't get this thing on Day 1. My Apple store got a small shipment in today and I picked it up. I've been fiddling with it for the past 3 hours.

So deceptively simple. So pleasingly pure. So Apple.

There's so many things to love, but the notion of watching and listening to anything in my iTunes library on my TV is brilliant. And the fact that via AirTunes and the soon to be released iPad OS update, I'll be able to send ANYTHING on my iPad to my AppleTV? Nothing short of MAGIC. 8O :P

At a moment in time when NOT ONE competitor has even launched an iPad rival product, you've got Mr. Jobs planning on full integration between the iPad and your television. Jebus.

omfg. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Netflix interface is Pure Fucking Gold. It makes Netflix on my Tivo seem ham fisted and amateurish by comparison. The seamlessness of the interface, the ability to read full a synopsis on each item, scroll through an IMDB style listing of actors and directors - then select other things to watch or add to your cue on the fly - is fantastic. Oh, and the speed and quality of the connection blows my Tivo Netflix away.

The menu design/graphics/ interface is first rate Apple Quality all the way. There's been a lot of whining in reviews about how it hasn't changed that much from the last version. Fuck them. It's perfect, and since I didn't own a first gen ApleTV I really could give a shit.

Now there's only one thing left to do: check out that Apple Remote app that people have been raving about. Oh, and finish the Breakfast Room floor to ceiling bookshelves I've been working on so that I can hook up Airtunes to a Sound Dock. :P

Thank you Steve.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

squelcht

Re: AppleTV. Mr. Jobs, you've done it. Again.

Post by squelcht » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 am

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:54 am

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:57 pm

GoogleTV.

Yet another in a long line of non-Apple hamfisted attempts to seem relevant and ground breaking.

see: Droid.
see: HP Tablet
see: Chrome
see: et al

:P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:59 pm

The only time when anyone who ISN'T Apple is actually successful at making 'something' is when the thing they are creating is intangible and doesn't involve:

a. product design.
b. actual, physical Matter.
c. Chinese child labour.

see: Facebook
see: MySpace
see: Twitter
see: et al

:P

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:25 pm

So what exactly can be streamed from another computer or laptop? Can you stream mkv or avi files?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Tarekith wrote:So what exactly can be streamed from another computer or laptop? Can you stream mkv or avi files?
No. It can only play what iTunes (stock version) can play.

I think what they need to do next is add coaxial in so you can actually watch TV on your monitor/projector through it. I have EyeTV on my Mini but it runs separately as another application. We need full integration.

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Tarekith wrote:So what exactly can be streamed from another computer or laptop? Can you stream mkv or avi files?

Using apple approved 3rd party apps you can do this. I do it :) (I guess you missed my response last time you asked this)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I saw you mentioned being able to do it on the iPad, but I didn't see where you mentioned it for the Apple TV. How exactly are you doing this? My mian goal is to avoid having to convert files before I can stream them from my laptop up in the studio.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:I saw you mentioned being able to do it on the iPad, but I didn't see where you mentioned it for the Apple TV. How exactly are you doing this? My mian goal is to avoid having to convert files before I can stream them from my laptop up in the studio.
Not sure Rave is talking about AppleTV. There are add-ons for iTunes and Front Row but I don't think Apple gives access to 3rd party plugs on AppleTV. I could be wrong though and they might have changed this policy with the new AppleTV.

LSZ?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Yeah, I know that VLC is out for the iOS devices yet, but I didn't think that had anything to do with AppleTV.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:06 pm

LSZ needs to report back on this as he is the only known user on this forum. As a long time AppleTV owner (can't believe people are excited about this simply because they added Netflix and the original model came out in 2006) I am no longer enamored with it and am well aware of it's shortcomings.

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I know that VLC is out for the iOS devices yet, but I didn't think that had anything to do with AppleTV.
Air Video/plex streams mkv and avi to an iPad/iPhone . I was just repeating my response from the previous thread because u didn't say anything and thought u missed it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Rave wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Yeah, I know that VLC is out for the iOS devices yet, but I didn't think that had anything to do with AppleTV.
Air Video/plex streams mkv and avi to an iPad/iPhone . I was just repeating my response from the previous thread because u didn't say anything and thought u missed it.

But we're talking about APPLETV. lol. Tarekith was asking about APPLETV. :| :lol:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:24 pm

beats me wrote:I am no longer enamored with it and am well aware of it's shortcomings.

Bite.
Your.
Tongue.

8O