dom: Is David your out-of-work nephew who needed a job?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

dom: Is David your out-of-work nephew who needed a job?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Seriously, who IS this guy and why is he out to destroy our Lounge?

Did you not give us this Lounge for a reason? So that our insanity can be isolated and contained away from the other areas?

Sure, there's some skirting of the Code here. But nothing serious.

Explanation?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Ableton_David

Re: dom: Is David your out-of-work nephew who needed a job?

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:29 pm

At the risk of taking the bait, let me try to explain here. You are entitled to an explanation.

The Lounge is a subforum designated for off topic discussions. Moderation in the Lounge is extremely lenient, to allow for different opinions, perspectives, and styles of interaction. Comments or threads that are removed are explicitly bigoted or otherwise offensive in their origin. Removal of a thread or comment is not something that is done lightly.

To put it plainly, all we expect of the Lounge is for users to respect each other. This includes not making assumptions about what an insult means when you post it. We operate this forum under the assumption that you are all smart enough to understand why calling someone a "fag," or suggesting that all fat women are "cunts," is offensive and unnecessary. Just because The Lounge is off topic, does not mean that the Code of Behavior disappears.

So, you are free to criticize or disagree with moderation, but the Code of Behavior is easily accessible here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=98872. All moderation is done according to what is written there. We're not asking for much, just a basic level of respect that doesn't resort to unnecessary insults.

If you feel that any level of moderation (at all) on this forum is unnecessary, then there are plenty of other places on the Internet where you can go. If, on the other hand, you have legitimate feedback about the moderation in this forum, then I'm of course open to hearing it.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:33 pm

^^^ A nigh on perfect confirmation of my summary here: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=151569
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

dom

Post by dom » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Wooohoo!

Guys! What's up with you? I'm a bit busy, but i just want to throw in a few lines here:
To me personally it looks like the loss of humor is not really on the side of the forum host...
LoopStationZebra wrote:Seriously, who IS this guy and why is he out to destroy our Lounge?
Uhm, whose Lounge? Come on, Zebra, honestly, who received the last dozens of server bills?
Last time i checked it was the same company that also "this guy" is working for.
The company that is the reason for you and me and everyone else actually being here.

And besides a lot of other things, it is his job to keep this place a pleasant one, being responsible for the community not to appear too hostile for first timers that just can't know how twisted some running gags and the tone in here over the years became while still supporting a sense of community feeling.

If you allow me a comment: This is a hell of a demanding job and i hope you trust me that i more or less know what i'm talking about.
LoopStationZebra wrote: Did you not give us this Lounge for a reason? So that our insanity can be isolated and contained away from the other areas?
Nope, the reason for the Lounge has been explained during the announcement and still holds true:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135613

In short, this is about structure while still trying not to exclude even completely off-topic stuff from an official audio/midi sequencer company forum (how everyone else would do it...) just because we love this community!
LoopStationZebra wrote: Sure, there's some skirting of the Code here. But nothing serious.
Totally depends on how far below the belt some posts go, somewhere ableton has to draw a line...

Sounds like a joke, but think about it:
How should the gays and overweight women that are responsible for creating Live and running ableton feel if they see all this homophobic stuff and verbal slander in the public forum of their own employer?
Not to think of all the wonderfully different Live users!

Keep the fun, folks, but keep it reasonable! We only try the same!
LoopStationZebra wrote: Explanation?
Explained enough? Keep it sarcastic, keep all the irony, but keep it a bit more on the side of innocent fun.
And along those lines: Don't bully my nephew and better start listening to him, for god's sake!

And yes, the subject really made us both laugh - exactly the right amount of irony and sarcasm i like to see here, without totally going over board.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:21 pm

@Dom:

Thanks for your clarification :D

As long as I can continue calling Dum a Mong, I'm all good! :mrgreen:

Peace!

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 pm

A real rain has come to wash all of the scum away, and that rain is called David Abernathy.

Rave

Post by Rave » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:33 pm

smutek wrote:A real rain has come to wash all of the scum away, and that rain is called David Abernathy.
+1

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:35 pm

WTF did I miss? I've not been around much lately, I keep reading hinted references to overweight girls, what happened? Who was she? Not another dj I hope, poor things, they don't stand a chance around here. Body shape bigots.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm

All I said was I like big girls. I dunno what all the fuss is about.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Martyn wrote:WTF did I miss? I've not been around much lately, I keep reading hinted references to overweight girls, what happened? Who was she? Not another dj I hope, poor things, they don't stand a chance around here. Body shape bigots.
re-cap:

From it's inception the forum had always been a pretty open place to discuss everything from music to politics to art to everything in between. Conversation was sometimes heated, opinions varied, but discourse was always enlightening. All of this took place in a subsection called "general" and for a while it was like Nirvana.

Then in January of 2009 LoopStationZebra joined and started pissing off Tone Deft so the Lounge was created.

General became "Music and Audio Production" and is a generally quiet, left brained scientific type of place where Tone Deft can discuss Max patches, sample rates, engineering, and flame anyone who does not agree with him or has a bug report.

Meanwhile the Lounge became the hang out for the intellectuals, communists, drug addicts, and other artsy types on the forum.

Instead of becoming a beacon of knowledge, social experimentation, and inspiration it could have been it instead devolved into a whore house of self indulgent excess.

Bright minds were corrupted, LoopStationZebra wrote "LOL" and "kill yourself" and "fag" a lot. Eventually DjSynchro went crazy, subfunk was banned, and the final straw came when John Gordon wrote something about fat people.

The lounge had now become an embarrassment so Ableton hired the American named David Abernathy because he is ex-CIA and flew him to Berlin to confront LoopStationZebra, restore sanity, and get things back in order.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Jimmy, I resent being called an intellectual. We shall settle this with fisticuffs. You're goin' down, bitch.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

nebulae wrote:Jimmy, I resent being called an intellectual. We shall settle this with fisticuffs. You're goin' down, bitch.
Bring it son, south baltimore, whut?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:14 pm

I suggest we settle this like men, and let our wives catfight it out, Real Housewives of New Jersey style.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 pm

smutek wrote: re-cap:..
Ah, thanks, I'd been reading David Abernathy's posts in a German accent, something did seem wrong there, it makes much more sense now.

Cheers.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:19 pm

smutek wrote:
Martyn wrote:WTF did I miss? I've not been around much lately, I keep reading hinted references to overweight girls, what happened? Who was she? Not another dj I hope, poor things, they don't stand a chance around here. Body shape bigots.
re-cap:

From it's inception the forum had always been a pretty open place to discuss everything from music to politics to art to everything in between. Conversation was sometimes heated, opinions varied, but discourse was always enlightening. All of this took place in a subsection called "general" and for a while it was like Nirvana.

Then in January of 2009 LoopStationZebra joined and started pissing off Tone Deft so the Lounge was created.

General became "Music and Audio Production" and is a generally quiet, left brained scientific type of place where Tone Deft can discuss Max patches, sample rates, engineering, and flame anyone who does not agree with him or has a bug report.

Meanwhile the Lounge became the hang out for the intellectuals, communists, drug addicts, and other artsy types on the forum.

Instead of becoming a beacon of knowledge, social experimentation, and inspiration it could have been it instead devolved into a whore house of self indulgent excess.

Bright minds were corrupted, LoopStationZebra wrote "LOL" and "kill yourself" and "fag" a lot. Eventually DjSynchro went crazy, subfunk was banned, and the final straw came when John Gordon wrote something about fat people.

The lounge had now become an embarrassment so Ableton hired the American named David Abernathy because he is ex-CIA and flew him to Berlin to confront LoopStationZebra, restore sanity, and get things back in order.
Throw the word cunt somewhere in there and I'll sign off on this otherwise perfect retelling.