L8 stabel now?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: L8 stabel now?

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:03 pm

David Abravanel wrote:For anyone having crashes, have you been sending in the crash reports?
Absolutely. I've sent in seventeen since May 2010.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:37 pm

David Abravanel wrote:For anyone having crashes, have you been sending in the crash reports?

of course man

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:23 pm

I was getting crashes when I tried to open Live sets created on a Windows comp on my Mac. Bad ones. Dutifully sent in my bug reports.

However, I just played a gig last night on my Windows laptop (using 8.2) and it was completely smooth. In fact, I've not had a single hiccup or anomaly when gigging on this lappy (Dell Studio) even when my Firebox lost external power because of rain shorting out a connection while playing in Turkey. Checking out 8.2.1 now.

canis

Post by canis » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:52 pm

8.2.1 still doesn't work with the Mbox2 on W7 64bit.
:roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 pm

canis wrote:8.2.1 still doesn't work with the Mbox2 on W7 64bit.
:roll:
I'm not familiar with their product line but it looks like Digidesign doesn't support th eMbox2 on W7 64 bit.

http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm?na ... es&eid=173

hth
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 am

no..it is not...

still a crashmonster on most simple tasks...

but we are talking about 8.2.1 here.. so still the old game...

so we go hardware again..stupid dedicated controlers go..mpc comes..

anyway more value for the money...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:43 am

3phase creating a subject saying that Live is now stable.
The end of the world is near.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:13 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:3phase creating a subject saying that Live is now stable.
The end of the world is near.
dont worry it still crashes on simple tasks lile dropping a sampe to the browser window
so after 1 year of bug fixing efforts its still the same situation..

however.. the version before 8.21 never did that...

thank god they gave up on changing theire fileformat every half year

Bonehead

Post by Bonehead » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:14 am

I think it's far from being stable! :roll:

Of course, if you're running purely on Live Instruments & Effects you might not have all that many crashes.

8.2 still crashes on random tasks as long as 3rd party plugins are involved. I've had this Stylus RMX (dragging MIDI to clip) bug for months now. Do it a couple of times and BAM, crash. I've sent in multiple bug reports, but have almost given up. I tear my hair, go smoke a bunch and whine to the missus these days.

Another thing pissing me off is when Kontakt runs out of memory or any sample based instrument runs out of memory, Live gives a critical error and just crashes! WTF! Lost money on a project due to this, last week :| But, I know it's my fault. I keep telling myself to do all work related projects on Logic, but end up on Live. :roll: At least I don't use it to record artists in the studio :mrgreen:

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 pm

Many from me as well, unfortunately... 11 in the last month.
The problem is that these automated reports don't give us, the reporters, any feedback, at least to me so far, so we're left wondering if it's something on our side or a new bug, or an already known bug that is being worked on, etc.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:33 pm

djgroovy wrote:
Many from me as well, unfortunately... 11 in the last month.
The problem is that these automated reports don't give us, the reporters, any feedback, at least to me so far, so we're left wondering if it's something on our side or a new bug, or an already known bug that is being worked on, etc.
yep.. with so many bugs thats a bit anoying .. maybe a little bug blog would be nice..
tales from the bug pit

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 pm

3phase, you've chased Ableton employees away from the forum.

good job.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ilia

Post by ilia » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 pm

less stable than 7.0.18, sadly.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:44 am

Tone Deft wrote:3phase, you've chased Ableton employees away from the forum.

good job.
:oops: i am in tears thats so sad..
but it is very easy.. with a program i dont run any day into a limitation or crash or what ever i spend more time producing than hanging around in the internet

You know the live history?
It started nicely but as a limited nice looptool..
the users wished it to become a daw.. to be able to work exclusivly with it-
Ableton worked hard to get there.. and went along ok the first years.. up to L3 ist was a good run..
some huge problems inbetween with the os x version early L2.. but that was the time.. not only ableton had problems with the change..

Than L4.. that is where it started to become a "fullfeatured" DAW..and where things got out of line..where the implementations got halfbaked..
The whole midi was a strange plug in related conception from the start, that threw all the other inventions over board..
Instead building up on the audio clip concept, just with midi data, they had some kind of backflash to medieval midi times in clip form..
And delivered a L4 midi implemetation that was unworkable with external hardware.. i got my upgrade money back on that one.. needed another year to be talked about as midi..
Than the quirky nudge jump thing that got removed in the meanwhile.. soundimproovements in 6 ..
getting the remote less limited and fx racks.. .. finaly groove design and at least some midi funtionalty like stretching in L8.- but at this point a total arrogant by success ableton.. and
crash crash crash.. bugs all over

and all the old problems since the first days still unsolved.. but 2 times a new file format in one year..
half baked dedicated controler implementations..Dedicated controlers that seemed unresitable but got sold again because of the house intern implementation? what a waste of a nice hardware and my money..

sorry man.. there is a reason that i became so loud during the last year here to open the eyes of the mean fanboys..because its them that turned ableton in the arrogant state and its them that can get them back to concentrate on the important stuff again.

Becoming feature hog is maybe unavoidable for a daw.. but a program as life have to be able to be controlable..spomtanious.
That was the speciallity of the concept.. They started as a kind of designer software..
And design is something with a consequent vision. not halfbaked patchwork.

The quality statement was a very good thing.. just the interpretation of the word quality has to be discussed..

Is quality just stability? or is it on top of that well designed details of operation?

A daw that can afford to include a programing enviroment like max can also afford to be smart in the handling design.

I really dont understand why there is no thru track? there are audio tracks.. midi tracks...
return tracks.. grouptracks...without own launchclip format :roll: ..

why is a thru track as we have seen it in earliest software midi sequencers a no go?

because we dont need midi thru on a daw or stage plug in host software?

Sorry.. its very contardictionary designwise.. on the one hand live trys to stay a rudamentary daw..
leaving out some essential and just beeing very basic.. stoneage basic in the regards of midi thru and syncing..
on the other hand it turns into a feature hog with all kind of strange serato and max integrations..

Ok.. i see that they have to do a lot here. But i still have to speak for worked out daw details.. maybe even with a modern edge.. classical ableton style..
instead layer of layer of halfbaked implemetations.. what is the new ableton style.

A little more love for the details.. and strong focus on stage interaction..
with this as foundation they can do all the integrations as they want and i would applaude.

however.. with all the arguments i collected i am pretty sure now thats pretty hopeless.
the handwriting in the development since L3 dont really justifies much hope..
just becoming loud on the forum cant really change such a mode of design philosopy..a pretty surfaced style.. a strong emphasis on biz tactics over function.
and also a very egocentristic implemented workflow..
I , my laptop and me

in this sense the program works pretty good and for max patchers it must be heaven..

al others are left a bit inbetween the doors..

i really started to hope for another rising star on the software company firnament to become our saviour 8)

Computers for music are stil as much "fun" as they allways have been... nothing has really changed except the portability of my computer and that i dont need an extra instrument/fx rack anymore..
so the former fun part is now inside the unfunny computer aswell :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:01 am

that's a lot of words.

are you having fun with Live?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz