What's your favorite Partner Instrument?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigcohoona

What's your favorite Partner Instrument?

Post by bigcohoona » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:12 pm

Hey all,

I'm slowly converting all my studio sounds into Live for my gigs. How good are the Partner Instruments? I've downloaded and toyed around with the free Partner Compilation (thanks Ableton), but I'm curious about all of your thoughts. If you know of another thread where this is being discussed toss me a link, I couldn't find any reviews.

Sample Logics work goes without saying as does almost anything from Sonic Couture, I own Kontakt versions of different products from both of these companies....what about e-instruments pianos vs. NI Akoustik/Alicia's Keys?

Thanks everybody,

L8r,

big~C
Big Cohoona: Mac Pro 8-Core,Ableton 8, Logic, S1, Reason 4, Omnisphere, Morphestra, Komplete, McPherson, Blue, Shroeders Piano, Partridge Family 8-Track.

pepezabala

Re: What's your favorite Partner Instrument?

Post by pepezabala » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:02 pm

sonic coutures exotica patch, an arpeggiator and my 2 year old son at the launchpad yielded great results

:lol:

bigcohoona

Post by bigcohoona » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 am

Anyone else?

I've spent the last hour searching here in the forum and an entire web-wide search and I can't seem to find many reviews on these products. There are of course reviews on Sonic Couture's, Pure Magnetic, and Sample Lab's, websites, but I can't find anything on the pianos.

Does anyone have the pianos and also have NI's Akoustic or Alecia's Keys? I would really appreciate a review or some A/B opinions.

Ableton should really have a forum section purely for reviews/thoughts on their various instruments and effects.

Thanks again for the responses,

big~C
Big Cohoona: Mac Pro 8-Core,Ableton 8, Logic, S1, Reason 4, Omnisphere, Morphestra, Komplete, McPherson, Blue, Shroeders Piano, Partridge Family 8-Track.

bigcohoona

Post by bigcohoona » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:21 am

bump

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 am

I love the Sonic Couture Skidaw Stones and the Kim.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 am

bigcohoona wrote:Sample Logics work goes without saying as does almost anything from Sonic Couture, I own Kontakt versions of different products from both of these companies....what about e-instruments pianos vs. NI Akoustik/Alicia's Keys?

Thanks everybody,

L8r,

big~C
I've just heard the free stuff partner instruments and I personally thought it did not compare to the free stuff that came with kontakt 4. I'm sure that the ones you pay for sound better but the free ones reminded me of the stock reason piano sounds. Thin, flat, really just lacking body. I really liked akoustik piano even though some people hate on it. I've played with true piano and like that one as well.

But as I've learned it is better for stability to get as much as possible within ableton for performance purpose. That's seems to be a huge plus for suite.

Good luck
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Shesh

Post by Shesh » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:05 am

I've only bought the Toontrack Bully Kit and I'm very happy with it.

It's nice to have Tomas Haake on call when you need him!

:twisted:

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:31 am

bigcohoona wrote:Hey all,

How good are the Partner Instruments? I've downloaded and toyed around with the free Partner Compilation (thanks Ableton), but I'm curious about all of your thoughts. If you know of another thread where this is being discussed toss me a link, I couldn't find any reviews.
So have I after largely ignoring them since D/Ling a couple months ago. I've found most of them to be quite good actually, I rediscovered these soundsets after auditioning sounds with this device:
Image btw- this is the most underrated piece of kit out there. Playing Sonic Arts Glasses Drama Brass I felt like Leonard Berstein on acid.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

luddy

Post by luddy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:16 am

bigcohoona wrote: Does anyone have the pianos and also have NI's Akoustic or Alecia's Keys? I would really appreciate a review or some A/B opinions.
I have the e-instruments Studio Grand East Village, also NI Akoustik. The e-instruments piano is great but I'd be cautious using it on stage -- it is very heavy on the cpu/memory/disk. I'm not able to run it at a low enough latency to be comfortable using it in my live rig and even if I were I don't think I would do it. Sound is very nice, much more detailed that Akoustik. Frankly most of the software pianos i hear are a little on the bright side for my taste, but this one is at least not overly bright, pretty easy to tame with a bit of EQ.

-Luddy

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:57 pm

luddy wrote:
bigcohoona wrote: Does anyone have the pianos and also have NI's Akoustic or Alecia's Keys? I would really appreciate a review or some A/B opinions.
I have the e-instruments Studio Grand East Village, also NI Akoustik. The e-instruments piano is great but I'd be cautious using it on stage -- it is very heavy on the cpu/memory/disk. I'm not able to run it at a low enough latency to be comfortable using it in my live rig and even if I were I don't think I would do it. Sound is very nice, much more detailed that Akoustik. Frankly most of the software pianos i hear are a little on the bright side for my taste, but this one is at least not overly bright, pretty easy to tame with a bit of EQ.

-Luddy
I didn't get any use out of the demos, they don't do them justice IMO. I also have the e-instruments East Village Grand and it sounds fantastic but heavier on CPU than I anticipated. The multisampling is excellent though, and I agree, finally a sampled piano that doesn't sound too bright. It's just nice to finally have a piano sound that I like, especially since I just started taking piano/music theory lessons. The Sonicouture stuff is always good, although you're possibly paying to use a sound once, the sounds are super cool but quite specific. The one that surprised me was the Flatpack electronic drums, they're setup really well. Toontrack is always good also, I would think that kit is better than Session Drums.

bigcohoona

Post by bigcohoona » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, exactly what I was looking for.

It's a shame the instruments are taking such a cpu hit... I'm hoping Ableton 9 addresses both the 64 bit and multicore processing issue. So far Logic and Studio One have been the best as far as multicore is concerned.

Has anyone found the Partner Instruments to be more productive and better on CPU than their Kontact based siblings?

I like my world streamlined and to be honest have everything from Omnisphere to Sample Logic Morphestra, and love them, but sometimes less is more in terms of production. I'd love Reason except I actually can't stand working in it for long periods...too small and fiddly.

Although I'm a big Logic and Studio One user, I always go back to Ableton...I just love it's workflow.

Thanks again for the feedback...keep them coming.

big~C

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I was just searching for exactly this kind of info and found some help in this topic, thanks.

Any more comments and reviews om the partner instruments would be much appreciated.

By the way, I miss a lot of sound demos from the instruments. Luckily, I found demos on the e-instruments pianos on the e-instruments homepage,
http://www.e-instruments.com/2010/05/st ... t-village/

gjm

Post by gjm » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I too have the Studio Grand East Village piano... interesting to see that its come up a few times already in this thread as opposed to the other 3 piano's. I did a big search for options before committing to this, love sound. The CPU hit is hard, and I suspect that 5400rpm hard drive doesn't help either, esp with only moderate use of sustain... my poor macbook. The actual device rack makes it easy to tweak things like Key Noise or Velocity Sensitivity Usually the first two things I hit. E-Instruments also supply a some Hybrid Racks with the Piano and Pads etc... these didn't really work for me. I would love them to supply more or find out how to make my own racks with both keyboard splits and instrument layers... All in all, very happy :D
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller