Getting Started on Remote Scripting

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mistergoomba

Getting Started on Remote Scripting

Post by mistergoomba » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 pm

I just recently learned about the Live API and I plan on getting kind of in-depth with it. I just have a couple of questions.

I have a MIDI controller that I am plugging in to a M-Audio ProFire audio interface to communicate with Ableton. What I'd like to do, and what I'm hoping the remote scripting does is set a single button on my controller to run one of these scripts to automatically do things such as change tempo and either mute certain tracks or send MIDI messages to Reason to mute tracks there.

Am I on the right track, or am I misinterpreting what Remote Scripting does?

If I'm on the right track, can anyone recommend a good starting point. I realize learning python is a big deal, but maybe there are some examples I can build off of.

Thanks in advance!

Hanz_Petrov

Re: Getting Started on Remote Scripting

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:14 pm

There are several articles describing the basics of python remote scripting at my blog.

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:53 pm

I really love your blog. I had to change my pants after discovering that step sequencer! Both sides of my pants were messed..

Quick question. Is it impossible to change channels on a 'note grid' for only part of the grid? I would be love to construct one of the layouts as half session, half drum-rack (or just notes). If I'm not mistaken, the script you made allows for editing of the overall channel and the note layout of the buttons.

mistergoomba

Post by mistergoomba » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks, I'll give your blog a try! I'm glad to know what I'm trying to achieve is possible!