APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JuanSOLO

Re: APC40 - Step Sequencer, Note Mode, 2nd Device Control, etc.

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:37 pm

outershpongolia wrote:I think it'd be great if Ableton could put a redbox in the piano roll for this steq sequencer..

it would show you which 5 notes your 5 rows correspond to, and it would also change length as the quantize and clip size changed, that'd be sweet

Better yet, they should pay Hanz to develop the script and offer any help to get some over the top features. For example, not only RED Box piano Roll, but color LED's for the sequencer to correspond with black keys and white keys.

Multiple device locking so you could basically map all your modes very specifically.

Create the ability to choose between toggle and momentary for ALL buttons in all modes. AND the ability to choose what kind of knob feedback you wanted, as well as alter their mappings in the browser across multiple modes.

Post a web site feature where you had an online editor that you configure your own APC40 script using a GUI and then you could download it, or upload your scripts for sharing.

Maybe this should be more geared towards AKAI. Nevertheless, I'm greatful Hanz opened this door, but I am still amazed that the APC40 has never had a dedicated editor released by Akai and supported by Ableton. To me it has been an ongoing let down which I am reminded of every time someone puts hard work into a kick ass workaround. Although many people have done great work with the APC40 (Darren, Hanz, NativeKontrol, Mike Chenetz, just to name a few) they are still just workarounds to the lack of an editor.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Give it up for Hanz! 8)

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Sorry I'm a bit confused with the Matrix mode, is the only way to trigger recording in a clip slot by triggering the scene buttons?

If so, how do you record one instrument then another? (E.G I have a Drum rack one one channel with Matrix 4, then a synth with Matrix 3).
Or is this more for live work and I am missing the point? I can't find any navigation controls ( it wouldn't be the first time I have not found something that was really obviously there!)

Thanks a lot
j

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 pm

This is the part of Matrix Modes that gets tricky. Once you are in a Mode you cannot use the Matrix for clip launching.

You can always launch the "Armed" clip first, then go to the desired mode and start recording. Or you could set up some kind of alternate mapping to record a clip, maybe set your launch quantize to allow for enough time to switch modes.

Too bad the APC40 dosen't have a dedicated row of buttons for modes. 8O

A while back I tried making a Modes Patch for the APC40 using M4L. These were the kinds of issues that kept me from wanting to develop it further. Lot's of MODES gives me too much functionality sometimes and creates new sacrifices you have to make.

My best suggestion is use another controller as a companion to the APC40 to regain access to various Live controls while bouncing around different modes.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:49 pm

^ this is such a snag.

I figured I could map a scene up and down, and then play buttons for every track so you can do live loops while in Matrix Mode, but what I've come down to is: clicking on the clip slot and hitting the ENTER button, jamming on the pads, hitting ENTER to punch in the loop. then I can navigate with the arrow keys and hit enter on other clips/slots

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:22 am

Hey all,

I've uploaded new version of the APC 64-40 script with the following minor revisions:

-Added support for Audio Effect Rack device in Track Control Mode 3 (pretty much any EQ can now be used for Track EQ Mode); EQ buttons now also work with EQ8 and Audio Effect Rack devices; Filter & Cutoff knobs now automap to Audio Effects Rack knobs 1 & 5, as well as previously supported devices - whichever is last in the chain gets control.

-Added support for Audio clip loop start/length control when in Step Sequencer Mode (although the Note Grid still only works with MIDI clips).

As always, let me know if you find any bugs.

Best,

Hanz

PS: This is just a quick fix update. It would be nice to eventually have an Audio loop control mode where the Clip Launch grid is still active, and some way of selecting clips without launching them. Maybe time for an official wishlist. Also need to find time to make some music... :p
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:34 am

Hi Hanz,

I tried the new version, but shouldn't audio effect map to all six knobs in a macro? (I'm thinking of guitar effect racks here).
Also, again, I would like the drum rack matrix to start on C1 rather than E1, as it is on my machine now, absent me doing something wrong.......

Thanks,
Chuck

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:34 am

Hanz_Petrov wrote:Hey all,

I've uploaded new version of the APC 64-40 script with the following minor revisions:

-Added support for Audio Effect Rack device in Track Control Mode 3 (pretty much any EQ can now be used for Track EQ Mode); EQ buttons now also work with EQ8 and Audio Effect Rack devices; Filter & Cutoff knobs now automap to Audio Effects Rack knobs 1 & 5, as well as previously supported devices - whichever is last in the chain gets control.

-Added support for Audio clip loop start/length control when in Step Sequencer Mode (although the Note Grid still only works with MIDI clips).

As always, let me know if you find any bugs.

Best,

Hanz

PS: This is just a quick fix update. It would be nice to eventually have an Audio loop control mode where the Clip Launch grid is still active, and some way of selecting clips without launching them. Maybe time for an official wishlist. Also need to find time to make some music... :p

Cant wait to try this stuff. I was just working on a video tutorial for the script. I guess I will need to do it again regarding the updates. I really hope you didn't take out the send functionality out of the DJ/EQ mode on the Track Control Modes.

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I tried the new version, but shouldn't audio effect map to all six knobs in a macro? (I'm thinking of guitar effect racks here).
Also, again, I would like the drum rack matrix to start on C1 rather than E1, as it is on my machine now, absent me doing something wrong.......
The EQ/Filter mode (Shift + Send B) now does map to all 8 Audio Effect rack controls: 1 & 5 replace Filter/Cutoff; 2, 3 & 4 are mapped to APC40 knobs 6, 7 & 8; Effect rack controls 6, 7 & 8 are mapped to APC40 buttons A, B & C. (APC40 knobs 2, 3 & 4 are still Send A, B & C in this mode.) It's easier to visualize than it is to describe.

As for the drum rack mapping in Matirx Mode 6, you can change the start note by editing the Matrix_Map.py file in any text editor. Just follow the instructions in the file itself. Otherwise, you could just use matrix Mode 3 for drum racks - this mode includes drum rack automapping which follows the little movable black square in the drum rack GUI (the tiny pads in the drum rack's rightmost column).
JuanSOLO wrote:Cant wait to try this stuff. I was just working on a video tutorial for the script. I guess I will need to do it again regarding the updates. I really hope you didn't take out the send functionality out of the DJ/EQ mode on the Track Control Modes.
Hey JuanSOLO, sorry about that. Ironic since I believe it was you who requested the new feature (3rd party EQ for EQ/Filter mode)! And yes, the sends are still there. I look forward to seeing the video, but don't get stressed about it - it doesn't need to capture every last feature. The fact that you're doing it at all is a big plus.

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:44 pm

OK found a way to record multi instruments mouseless, just use the arm buttons to decide...

So with a Drum rack and a synth:

In prefs set new clips to Trigger

Each instrument channel has a record channel next to it with 'Audio From' the instrument channel and monitoring set to IN.

To record the Drum rack use the APC to arm its channel AND its record channel, trigger Scene 1 and record, trigger it again to play.

When you've got your beat, arm the synth and its record channel, trigger scene 1 again as above.

I should have said before THANKS Hanz, thanks very much.

j :)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Hanz_Petrov wrote:
Hey JuanSOLO, sorry about that. Ironic since I believe it was you who requested the new feature (3rd party EQ for EQ/Filter mode)! And yes, the sends are still there. I look forward to seeing the video, but don't get stressed about it - it doesn't need to capture every last feature. The fact that you're doing it at all is a big plus.

Best,

Hanz
Yes I requested it! I still haven't had the chance to try it out, I'm SUPER EXCITED about it THANKS!

My first video will be just a super basic explanation and demonstration of the script. Kind of to coincide with your manual. Then I will make one of how I actually use it in for my band and for DJing. I have a busy weekend so I probably wont get the video up till early next week.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi, Hanz,

Thanks much; mode 3 was what I was expecting. I'll change mode 6 as per your suggestion.
Not sure what you mean by Eq/Filter mode..an audio effect rack has six macro knobs...
(as per guitar effects) Are you referring to a specific audio effect (eg EQ3/EQ8?)

I'll keep RTFM'ing myself, but I miss things at my age these days.............:-)

Chuck
Hanz_Petrov wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:I tried the new version, but shouldn't audio effect map to all six knobs in a macro? (I'm thinking of guitar effect racks here).
The EQ/Filter mode (Shift + Send B) now does map to all 8 Audio Effect rack controls: 1 & 5 replace Filter/Cutoff; 2, 3 & 4 are mapped to APC40 knobs 6, 7 & 8; Effect rack controls 6, 7 & 8 are mapped to APC40 buttons A, B & C. (APC40 knobs 2, 3 & 4 are still Send A, B & C in this mode.) It's easier to visualize than it is to describe.

As for the drum rack mapping in Matirx Mode 6, you can change the start note by editing the Matrix_Map.py file in any text editor. Just follow the instructions in the file itself. Otherwise, you could just use matrix Mode 3 for drum racks - this mode includes drum rack automapping which follows the little movable black square in the drum rack GUI (the tiny pads in the drum rack's rightmost column).
JuanSOLO wrote:Cant wait to try this stuff. I was just working on a video tutorial for the script. I guess I will need to do it again regarding the updates. I really hope you didn't take out the send functionality out of the DJ/EQ mode on the Track Control Modes.

Best,

Hanz

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:39 pm

Digging the update to Track Control mode 3!!!

Exactly what I was wanting to see. :D

sanosdole

Post by sanosdole » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:53 am

Oh yes, this script seems to kicks a**! Thank you a lot.

I use the apv40_20 script currently with custom (ableton) mappings for TrackControl and some py-mods (finer tempocontrol for matching TT´s) for playing live.
Gonna try this one out after my next gig (Saturday).

I´m planning to make a select/copy/paste/delete matrix mode.
Maybe I´ll get this http://www.rutherfurd.net/python/sendkeys/ running. I already tested sending keystrokes from max-for live in combination with focusView/selectTrack/selectScene and got it working. But I don´t want to buy max4live just for this feature.

I really love the way this thing is heading, thanks again :)

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:15 pm

I seem to have created a Rack that stops the script from working - just when I thought I had got it how I wanted it! Aaargh!
How is it possible? It just contains, vsts and simplers yet if I load up a set without it it works fine. Weird.
Any ideas very much appreciated....I was about to donate and definitely will if I can find a fix.
j