Making music for TV

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pbasonuk

Making music for TV

Post by pbasonuk » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:32 am

Hi Guys, I need some help if possible.

I realise that I am never going to become the well known music producer that I dream of, I accept that, but I am having so many people I know telling me I should get my music used on TV and Radio.

I would love to do this and make it a career eventualy but I always thought it would be hard to break into. But recently I'm thinking, 'How hard can it be'? There are 1000's of tv stations, production companies, corporate video producers etc that need music, (It was actually Masterchef in the UK that got me thinking about this, the music they use every few minutes is very similar to mine.

I really would like some opinions / help from anyone else who does this, any tips on how to start, what to avoid, any publications with adverts requesting music etc. I have the equipment, I have the music production skills so I really want to make a go of this.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Winterpark

Re: Making music for TV

Post by Winterpark » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:41 am

make some production disks that showcase what you can do, and send to local publishers who sync music to tv/film.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:12 pm

often it,s not about the music but the people you know in the bizniz.

!STiTCH!

Post by !STiTCH! » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:51 pm

You could try a service such as Taxi. It's a middleman, but they have hundreds if not thousands of listings of Movies, TV, or even producers looking for songs to use. It is around $300 a year, so it does turn in to a bit of a comittment.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:36 pm

dont rely on collection agencies / residuals / royalties / etc. .. get people to pay you for the work you do.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 pm

JAMM wrote:often it,s not about the music but the people you know in the bizniz.
This pretty much sums it up...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/