NanoPad script - APC40 style

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Madureira

NanoPad script - APC40 style

Post by Madureira » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Here's what I wanna do:

In the following image you can see a RED rectangle, around some clips. (check the link below, please)

http://www.production-room.com/gfx/prod ... 40---2.jpg

In this case, the control surface is a AKAI APC40, but I wanna do something similar with a Korg NanoPad.

Basically I would like to place my NanoPad vertically on my desk, controlling two midi tracks, where I could launch clips.

Something like this:

Scene 1 activated on the NanoPad;

Midi track #1
Pads 1-5 launch clips 1 to 5
Pad 6 stops clips on this track

Midi track #2
Pads 7 to 11 launch clips 1 to 5
Pad 12 Stops clips
---------------------------------------
Scene 2 activated on the NanoPad;

Midi track #1
Pads 1-5 launch clips 6 to 10

Midi track #2
Pads 7 to 11 launch clips 6 to 10
Pad 12 Stops clips
Scene 3 activated on the NanoPad;

Midi track #1
Pads 1-5 launch clips 11 to 15

Midi track #2
Pads 7 to 11 launch clips 11 to 15
Pad 12 Stops clips
Scene 4 activated on the NanoPad;

Midi track #1
Pads 1-5 launch clips 16 to 20

Midi track #2
Pads 7 to 11 launch clips 16 to 20
Pad 12 Stops clips

Each time that I change scenes on my NanoPad, I want the red rectangle to move accordingly, to know which clips I can launch.

I know this can be achieved with ableton user scripts, but I need some help with it since I've never really worked with them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

outershpongolia

Re: NanoPad script - APC40 style

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:56 pm

This isn't a job for the regular MIDI remote scripts you might do on your own if you're just starting out.. this is something for Python scripts or something of the sort - but there ARE scripts for the nano pad

http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/support-files.html

look under nanopad script - not exactly what you're looking for but it's possible to alter these scripts - might be easier than starting fresh.

Madureira

Post by Madureira » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the info, but I can't seem to get the results wanted.

First, I can't make the red box bigger or smaller, even though I change the parameters on the .py file.

Is there any configuration that I must look at, in the preferences? I mean, when I change controller on my MIDI inputs page, is there any particular thing I should pay attention?

Thanks.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 pm

The only thing I've altered in these Python scripts was the button colors in Matrix Mode on the APC40 - can't help you further than that i'm afraid..

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Madureira,

Although the name may seem a bit misleading, you could probably get pretty close to the functionality you're looking for by using the FCB1020 script from my blog. The FCB1020 script provides basic APC40 emulation and is compatible with pretty much any control surface capable of sending MIDI notes or CCs.

You'd need to edit the MIDI_Map.py file, and assign appropriate note values to the CLIPNOTEMAP array, for clip launching. You'd also need to assign values to the TRACKSTOP list, for stopping clips.

The difficult part will be to get the red box to move around the way you've described, via Nanopad scene selection. If you could use the hold, flam or roll buttons instead (assuming they send MIDI messages), you could map one to ZOOMUP and one to ZOOMDOWN, which will have the effect of moving the red box up or down 5 scenes at a time (similar to the APC40 in Session Overview mode).

Otherwise, fairly advanced python customization would be required (overriding SessionComponent methods, etc.).

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

Madureira

Post by Madureira » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:25 am

I've tried what you said, and can't seem to make it work. Grrrrrrr...

Not even the red box appears. I've checked the log, and there are some remote script errors, which I can't interpret...

On the other hand, your projectX file loads fine, and i can have the box showing. No more progress.

Would you mind taking a look at my files?

Let me know if I can send them...

Thanks for your help!

Hanz_Petrov

Post by Hanz_Petrov » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 am

Sure, you can send me the MIDI_Map.py file (the one you've modified), and send me the log.txt file as well - I'll try to take a look. Gmail is fine.

Best,

Hanz
http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/ - an introduction to the Framework classes

jjsauma

Post by jjsauma » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Have you tried BOME MIDI translator? You can do a lot of awesome things like shift keys, combination of keys and everything you could imagine.

I can provide help if you need to.

Madureira

Post by Madureira » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks a lot!

I'm gonna give that a try.

It's really weird, because the famous red box doesn't even appear with the fcb1020 scripts.

I'm sure i'm doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what. There are some error messages on the log.txt file, but since i'm not _Framework expert, it's hard to understand what's going on.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:33 am

Madureira wrote:It's really weird, because the famous red box doesn't even appear with the fcb1020 scripts.
I was wondering the other day whether or not the box appears before you connect the script to an actual input/output

Madureira

Post by Madureira » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 am

This particular one, the fcb1020 doesn't appear.

However, if I run the ProjectX script, taken from the same website, it appears. I can't do anything with it though.

BTW, i'm running Live 8.1

Any compatibility issues? I mean, are the scripts something supported with newer versions only?