is there a way of fixing the start marker to the loop brace?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lozoz

is there a way of fixing the start marker to the loop brace?

Post by lozoz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am

i'm currently jamming with some loops messing with position and length via my midi controller and every time i revert back to the original start position and loop length it has placed the start marker in a random position within the loop causing it to be out of sync with my other clips.

is there any way round this?

zeropoint

Re: is there a way of fixing the start marker to the loop brace?

Post by zeropoint » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 pm

not entirely sure if I understand your description in the body correctly but, to answer your thread title, have you tried midi mapping the set start marker to the same controller number as the set loop position? this way when you set your loop in-point the start marker jumps there too and ,wherever you move your loop to, the start marker will follow and stay locked to the in- point. i'm away from the studio at the moment so can't test the results if I unmap the loop postion from the start marker but i'm guessing if i did it would reproduce the behaviour you describe.......in fact i think that's exactly why I ended up mapping mine that way. the downside obviously is i can't move the start marker independently from the loop brace. .....but for me it's preferable the way i have it set up.
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

lozoz

Post by lozoz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:24 am

hey zeropoint, thanks! i think that's exactly what i need to do.

but how would i midi map the start marker to the same knob as set loop position? am not quite sure how to assign it in midi map mode...

cheers!

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 pm

No worries....

Just map start set an set position set to the same controller.

lozoz

Post by lozoz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm

strange... i set the loop start, set clip start and set loop start to the same knob on my controller and it's behaving in a really unpredictable way. throwing the loop brace to position -61 and loop length to -62 with the slightest touch for example. do i somehow need to set minimum and maximum values? i'm working with a 1 bar loop btw.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm

these are the in points for your loop. map these (set start and set position) to the button you use to set the in point for your loop. don't map them to the rotary knob....map your knob to the numerical field below set position. is that how you have it set up?

lozoz

Post by lozoz » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:47 pm

yeah, i just have 2 knobs mapped to loop and position, as per screenshot. do i need a button mapped too in order to revert to full loop length at position 1?

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

you need to map three buttons. one to the start set and positions set already described. the second one should be mapped to length set. the third is mapped to the loop button, to disengage it.so the first button press sets your loop in point, moves the start marker to that point and engages the loop function. your second button closes the loop by setting the loop out point.

the timing of these in an out points will be according to your global launch quantize settings. i suggest you leave this on 1 bar. Once you have your loop initiated through these button presses, and this is all on the fly while the track is running, you can now change the position and length of your loop while the playhead will stay locked in at the loop start. when you want to leave the loop, press the third button to disengage it.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm

by the way, my description relates primarily for setting up and manipulating loops live in longer sections of audio.......