NEWBQ: auto follow on of next scene?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
randallp

NEWBQ: auto follow on of next scene?

Post by randallp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Is it possible to set Live so that a sequence of scenes just follow each other and stop after the last? (Trying to setup a 6 song praise team set)

I have fiddled with follow-on actions for individual loops but there must be a more elegant way methinks?

Apologies for basic question.
Blessings and thanks in advance.
http://www.iam-pcr.com
Live 9, Push, MountainLion

0fps

Re: NEWBQ: auto follow on of next scene?

Post by 0fps » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 pm

you should program follow actions by your own.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

randallp

Post by randallp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:30 pm

0fps wrote:you should program follow actions by your own.
can I program follow actions for a scene? I could only see follow actions for individual loops though. Am I missing something?

(in my case each loop is a whole song part for one instrument - there are six (one for each of the instruments) loops that make up each scene - when they all play together I get a full band)

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah, there's no follow actions for scenes. You could add follow actions to all your clips so that they all move to the next one after the same number of bars.

randallp

Post by randallp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:00 pm

8O wrote:Yeah, there's no follow actions for scenes. You could add follow actions to all your clips so that they all move to the next one after the same number of bars.
Thanks. I don't suppose there's a quick way of doing that? Can I somehow select all the clips in a scene and apply the same follow-on? (I'll try that when I'm on Live again)
Again, thanks for the help. I'm kinda surprised they haven't thought of that.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Yes, you can select multiple clips and apply follow action settings to them at the same time.

randallp

Post by randallp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:13 pm

8O wrote:Yeah, there's no follow actions for scenes. You could add follow actions to all your clips so that they all move to the next one after the same number of bars.
Eeek! Now I'm showing my pathetic knowledge of Live concepts! I got the follow-on to occur after x bars. Problem is, I'm not sure how to display bar numbers in the audio clips I load in from Logic. Is there a way I wonder?

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:32 pm

If all you want to do is play 6 songs back to back why not just put it in the arrangement view? If you're just going to be playing scene 1-6 when one ends then this isn't really 'live'. Just use arrangement.

randallp

Post by randallp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Zeddy wrote:If all you want to do is play 6 songs back to back why not just put it in the arrangement view? If you're just going to be playing scene 1-6 when one ends then this isn't really 'live'. Just use arrangement.
Hmmm.. that's a thought - I'd forgotten about that other dimension. (new to Live)

Of course I have to pick and setup six new songs three times (3 services) a week so I'm looking for something that is easy to administer. One worship leader using Live has one huge Ableton set with all the church repetoire in it. He just drags the six he's doing that service to the top and he's done. (I can't go that way yet as we are only on Live Lite (6 scenes max)).

Thanks for the idea. I'm in flux right now.

randallp

Post by randallp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:30 pm

randallp wrote:
Eeek! Now I'm showing my pathetic knowledge of Live concepts! I got the follow-on to occur after x bars. Problem is, I'm not sure how to display bar numbers in the audio clips I load in from Logic. Is there a way I wonder?
Answering myself - well I'm impressed - I noted the tempo and length of the stems in Logic and used those in the follow-on play next Live setting and they drop through perfectly to the next song.
:)

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:32 pm

You can use groups to control the follow actions as well, so editing the follow action at group lvl edits the individual follow actions of all clips in the group

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

randallp

Post by randallp » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:56 pm

randallp wrote:
randallp wrote:
Answering myself - well I'm impressed - I noted the tempo and length of the stems in Logic and used those in the follow-on play next Live setting and they drop through perfectly to the next song.
:)
Not so fast! I have found that the follow-on bar setting works perfectly at the end of the the first scene. However subsequent scenes don't. I've noticed that if I trigger scenes manually clicking on the master launch triangle, the start tempo of each scene (set in the master track) is honored. If I allow the follow-on actions to drive the sequence of (different tempo) songs, the tempo of the clock in the transport stays at the start tempo of the first scene :cry: The subsequent scenes thus start at the wrong times.

So I can only chain two songs together max. Am I doing something wrong? Help!

djdont

Post by djdont » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:46 am

I was wondering the same thing as the original poster and after reading the posts here I came up with a solution to completely automate the creation of an arrangement based on follow actions. The trick was to use a clip of silence in the places where I wanted tracks to drop out i.e a breakdown or change ups in the arrangement.

1. First create a clip of silence and place it in the tracks where you want your change ups or on tracks that you don't have any thing recorded (example track 5 and all red clips in screen shots below) (this is key) otherwise the clip will advance to the next available clip and that could be in any scene.

2. Select all the clips

3. Set the time control for when the follow actions would be taken to ( In my case ) 16, so every 16 bars all clips advance to the next scene.

3. Set follow action to next for both A & B Groups.

4. Set follow action chance for both A & B to 1

5. Play the first scene and record the arrangement automatically

Place silent clips and select all > then set follow actions

Automated arrangement recorded

Hope this helps. I was pretty stoked when I realized what the result was.

Regards,
Don T

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:47 am

I know this is an old thread, but I still need this functionality.
In Korg Gadget it is so cool, that the "Scenes" advance automatically!
But to do that in Ableton is a heavy, time-intense Workaround.
Especially when using ableton projects exported from Korg-Gadget this feature is a must have
to play and record the song to arrangement-view!

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:59 pm

roxxx303 wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I still need this functionality.
In Korg Gadget it is so cool, that the "Scenes" advance automatically!
But to do that in Ableton is a heavy, time-intense Workaround.
Especially when using ableton projects exported from Korg-Gadget this feature is a must have
to play and record the song to arrangement-view!
For many years I've desired "Follow Actions" for Scenes. That way I don't have to keep creating all those blank MIDI and Audio clips.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)