All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: All the little detail problems with Ableton Live Collection

Post by 3phase » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Poster wrote: there's no such feature as 'warp as 128 bar loop'..

there's a feature called 'warp as xxx bar loop'..

may I suggest you first learn and understand all little details before you go ranting.. :wink:
"Warp As ...-Bar Loop command. Live will propose a loop length that makes the most sense given the current Live Set's tempo. Decreasing the Live Set's tempo can, for instance, lead Live to assume the loop is 8 bars at 90 BPM instead of 16 bars at 180 BPM."

so you need to have the wright tempo to make ableton live to do a guess that dont destroys the loop? there is no way to set the desired amount of bars? so you have to tune the session speed up to the point where everything runs round, and than it is doing the wright guess for you?
Is´nt it way faster to just set the clip on the desired bar length?

and is there time to do such "nice" routines but none to fix the sync? :-/

sorry that fits very well on the list of detail flaws ...this kind of manual "auto" warping qualifies for an award..

this one

Last edited by 3phase on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Slightlydelic wrote:one thing i find a bit of a pain is that when im copying and pasting in arrange view, if i left click on the page to mark up the possition where i want to paste quite often when i right click to select paste the marker moves and makes me paste in the wrong place.

it seems that when i left click the marker snaps to the grid but when i right click it snaps again to the mouse pointers position.

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:56 pm

engineers require exact values of parameters. automation breakpoints show only 2 digits after the dot "0.00" in other words value representation range is only 100 digits but when automation point is moved the numbers dont change sometimes, this instantly excludes any fast and precise settings. if the automation breakpoint and ANY OTHER PARAMETER in live would show full value range like "0.000000" then all changes in parameter would be visible.
people write that they want ability to write values to the breakpoints from the keyboard, well thats ok, but dont you understand that if all parameters would show their all states we wouldnt need that, its 5 seconds typing in vs 0.5 seconds adjusting with mouse + ctrl. waste of time.
check out pro tools automation, there is no automation breakpoint movement if values dont change.

you know windows xp programs, you drag sides of the windows to make them bigger, the sides move with the same speed that you drag.
when you wanna make sample editor or midi editor bigger you drag it up from its side. there is a delay in that, mouse pointer exeeds the side being dragged, does it make program faster? waste of time.

in browser pressing letters and numbers etc on keyboard for fast locating still doesnt work huhh?

its not little details really.
Last edited by clipperer on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:12 am

Why can't they give their own devices the benefits of VSTs? Let us rearrange the order of parameters for Live devices, come on.

This might be more of a wish but I seriously think 8 macros is just silly for a rack. Think of the complex set ups you can make in a rack with the ability to alternate between instruments and such. But you get only 8 macros which really puts a damper on things.

How does sampler still not have a time stretching mode which preserves the duration of a sample when pitching? Good lord, SampleTank Free has that! As well as just about every sampler out there. Ableton was built on a foundation of audio time stretching and the sampler can't do it?
Professional Shark Jumper.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:How does sampler still not have a time stretching mode which preserves the duration of a sample when pitching? Good lord, SampleTank Free has that! As well as just about every sampler out there. Ableton was built on a foundation of audio time stretching and the sampler can't do it?
Its not a sampler buddha, its a sample player. :wink:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:27 am

as its no sequencer just a requencer?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:33 am

status of midi overdub is well hidden in the menu.. should have an main screen indicator..

and it should be remotable.

on stage the wrong setting on midi overdub can be very destructiv..especially in combination with the quirky thru concept

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:42 am

3phase wrote:as its no sequencer just a requencer?
he he, not exactly.. check 009

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:04 am

ze2be wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:How does sampler still not have a time stretching mode which preserves the duration of a sample when pitching? Good lord, SampleTank Free has that! As well as just about every sampler out there. Ableton was built on a foundation of audio time stretching and the sampler can't do it?
huh? I think you meant to answer the guy who said that live's instruments should sample. Where did I say that? Not sure how you got 'sampler should sample' out of 'sampler should have timestretch'. I'm referring to it by its name, you know "Sampler"? But hey, if you want to call it a sample player, that's fine by me. All the other sample players have timestretch. Even SampleTank Free!
Professional Shark Jumper.

Markemark

Post by Markemark » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:51 am

"Filter Delay's" feedback knobs go to 100%, what about the other delays? feedback only go's to 95% :(

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:46 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
ze2be wrote:
huh? I think you meant to answer the guy who said that live's instruments should sample. Where did I say that? Not sure how you got 'sampler should sample' out of 'sampler should have timestretch'. I'm referring to it by its name, you know "Sampler"? But hey, if you want to call it a sample player, that's fine by me. All the other sample players have timestretch. Even SampleTank Free!
I was drunk and sarcastic, sort of.. Good morning to ya!! :D

Poster

Post by Poster » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:20 am

3phase wrote:
Poster wrote: there's no such feature as 'warp as 128 bar loop'..

there's a feature called 'warp as xxx bar loop'..

may I suggest you first learn and understand all little details before you go ranting.. :wink:
"Warp As ...-Bar Loop command. Live will propose a loop length that makes the most sense given the current Live Set's tempo. Decreasing the Live Set's tempo can, for instance, lead Live to assume the loop is 8 bars at 90 BPM instead of 16 bars at 180 BPM."

so you need to have the wright tempo to make ableton live to do a guess that dont destroys the loop? there is no way to set the desired amount of bars? so you have to tune the session speed up to the point where everything runs round, and than it is doing the wright guess for you?
Is´nt it way faster to just set the clip on the desired bar length?

and is there time to do such "nice" routines but none to fix the sync? :-/

sorry that fits very well on the list of detail flaws ...this kind of manual "auto" warping qualifies for an award..

this one
sure.. but you had no clue of what this feature exactly did before you posted it as a rant.. :wink:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Poster wrote: sure.. but you had no clue of what this feature exactly did before you posted it as a rant.. :wink:

I had the absolute clue that it is useless bullshit,

Your problem is, you dont had a clue.. "found it in the manual so it has to make some sense"..
what a smart attitude towards the world

its an redundant menu entry and with a program that dont even allows usefull entrys to keep things compact thats one useless detail taht just can go..

when they have an autowarp fuction please a ready developed one that contains some own arteficial intelligence..
Everything else looks really stupid. And we dont like the feel to work with a stupid program that has many retard menu entrys..
Thats not ableton style.

minimal feature set but smart implemeted and therfore even more powerfull..

nice doctrin.. maybe not allways possible to hold to that.. but defently a reminder to dont go into the opposite direction..

I wonder how ableton is doing design decissions.. theier developers are all programmers, but do programmers know what a daw needs? so ther must be an experianced front end design team for the main agenda.. the henke/behlens duo?
Or are the having some kind of nerd democarcy there? Would explain the tendency away from stage work towards office management software...

However they do it..there is not too much place to discuss detail problems... so there wont be detail fixes..

but lets keep on listining them.. the more little the itch as more important to put some light on it...

all the selection in arrange is probably realy a bit quirky.. at least it´s surprising that the moves dont sit tight after so many years.. there is probably something litlle hidden thats against human logic.. just hard to analyze why one has lost the selection now again.. and again.. and again..
fixing such litlle handling things can improove the workflow a lot..
Just hard to nail or describe them..

I still often have to redo tha alt/drag clip copy... became better in recent versions of life..

but still it seems that removing the alt key before the copy has been executed leads to an canceld operation..so you have to do it again..
probably dont matters on faster machines..

But.. in general..the program should register wished user operations and just holding on executing them even when the command gets interupted by other heavy tasks or the user is too quick of the keys ...

maybe not endless. but keeping the last 3 commands in memory and just executing them could speed up things here a bit on bigger arrangement chunks?
Last edited by 3phase on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Live is playing importet clips only when the waveform calculation is done..
sure..you should have your materials prepared and with asd files allready..
sure. a good musican is a very organized musican..
however.. it would be nice if live would just play the file.. even allows changing warp modes and tempo settings allready while doing the waveform calculation in the background.. but if that isnt possible..
allow as much acces to the file as possible and having the calcualtion of the waveform display in ideal interupting nothing..!!

or better... do the important things to run the file first.. enable all manupulations blindly.. now we are ready to go..and deliver the detailed view of the waveform later..

so the process order of getting a file ready can be speed up a lot IMO..

broc

Post by broc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Support of plugins with multi-channel midi output.
Currently it's not possible to separate the individual channels on the receiving tracks.