Moog Voyager to ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dubstepper719

Moog Voyager to ableton

Post by dubstepper719 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 am

So I just bought a moog voyager synth and want to get it to play in ableton. I'm using an avid mbox that a friend has to connect the moog to my computer. In ableton I set up an external instrument and it responds when I hit a key on the moog however there is no audio. I'm wondering if my problem is with the mbox, I installed the mbox's driver on my computer but I never actually installed a disk that came with the device. If any one knows what to do here I'd appreciate a complete step by step.

ark

Re: Moog Voyager to ableton

Post by ark » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm not familiar with the mbox, but here's what I'd recommend in general.

1) Go to the manufacturer's website and download and install their latest driver.

2) Launch Live, control-comma, select the "Audio" tab, then click the "Input Config" and "Output Config" buttons and be sure that all the channels you want to be able to use are enabled.

3) For each input on your mbox, be sure that when you send a signal to it, Live can detect the signal. One way to do this is to connect a signal source (such as your Voyager) to each input in turn, then take a Live audio track, arm it for recording, and select what you think is the appropriate input in the second "Audio from" drop-down (The first one should say "Ext. in"). You should be able to play on your Voyager and see the level bars move in Live.

4) Connect a MIDI out to your Voyager's MIDI in. Create a MIDI track and send its output to the Voyager. When you send MIDI notes out, you should be able to see the audio coming back from the Voyager.

If all of this works, you should now be able to use the Voyager as an external instrument. If you also want to use the Voyager's keyboard for input to Live, I suggest turning off "MIDI local control" as described on page 64 of your Voyager manual.

Maco

Re: Moog Voyager to ableton

Post by Maco » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Put line in on the external instrument :mrgreen: