possible to program arrangement view stop play?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Brontoy

possible to program arrangement view stop play?

Post by Brontoy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 am

Is there a way to program "stop play" commands on the arrangement view timeline? I would like to start playback in the arrangement view, and then have playback stop at a given position, and then be able to start playback from that position again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Brontoy

Bagle

Re: possible to program arrangement view stop play?

Post by Bagle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:55 am

possible with max for live, other then that, i dont think so no
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

poof

Post by poof » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 am

u can use the "set start time" context menu option, but to make it stop at a certain time there doesnt appear to be any way.

Tsk tsk ableton, starting and stopping is the most basic element of music.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 am

One thing you can do is use Locators to set multiple points where you can easily click to start play - right click in the top area of Arrangement view and selected "Add locator."

Brontoy

Post by Brontoy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks for your responses!

Bagle, is it really possible using Max4Live? Would it be tough to learn to program that?

David- The work around I am trying now is to actually never stop playback, but to separate the clips where I need to have a pause by a longer amount of time, put a Locator at the beginning of the next clip, and when the Q is called, I press the "Go to next Locator" button and playback begins at the next clip. This seems to work, but feels fragile. I would feel much safer just pressing "play" and to have Live stop playing where I program it to stop and wait for my next "play".

Optional verbiage below:

To explain what I am trying to do: Besides using Live for music composition, I am trying to use it as a playback machine for a ballet company. So I need to take a 55 minute piece of live recorded classical music (unwarped), divide this into sections (each section would be a clip in Live). Some of the clips play straight through, and at some clips I need to pause and wait for a dancer Q to start playback. I need to know exactly where I am time-wise within each clip while it is playing to help the stage manager coordinate lights, scenery, props etc. During rehearsals I need to be able to quickly start playback from an exact time within any given clip. I tried to build this in the session view but it is impossible to program a follow action to play the next slot if the clips are unwarped (!). So the arrangement view seems to almost work. I can arrange the clips on the timeline, and if I click on the clip playing, I can see in the sample view exactly where I am in the timeline of the sample. The only missing element is to be able to reliably stop playback at an exact point in the arrangement timeline.

minigoat

Post by minigoat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:10 am

ok update--
just read all of your post--sorry,

this technique will completely stop play back so it might not be of any use to you...but maybe it could if given some more thought...

if you run windows then you can use midi yoke.

http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http:// ... /myoke.htm

once you have midi yoke installed,
in live's midi preference, turn 'on' the midi ports inputs and outputs to the midi yoke you would like.
lets say midi yoke: 1

midi map the play or stop button in live to a note from a midi controller.
lets say C-1 on channel 1

now create a midi track.
set to no input
set output to midi yoke: 1
set channel to 1

create a clip in the track you just made and have it play C-1.

now whenever the clip is triggered your set will start or stop or do whatever is mapped accordingly!
Last edited by minigoat on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

minigoat

Post by minigoat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:17 am

cant you just hit the 'stop clips' button in session view?
then just select your next successive scene?

Brontoy

Post by Brontoy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 am

Thanks for the interest. It seems to me that programmable Locators would be a possible way to go. Playback Pause on Locator or playback Play-Through Locator, for example etc.

Kalib DuArte

Post by Kalib DuArte » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 am

Seems insane that there isn't a simple "Pause Play at Locator" property in the locators. Things like this is why I'm disappointed I got LIVE+PUSH2, everything has to be overly complicated and/or leverage expensive third party options for basic functionality that is missing in LIVE (any developers feel free to reach out to me;).

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:27 am

Kalib DuArte wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 am
Seems insane that there isn't a simple "Pause Play at Locator" property in the locators. Things like this is why I'm disappointed I got LIVE+PUSH2, everything has to be overly complicated and/or leverage expensive third party options for basic functionality that is missing in LIVE (any developers feel free to reach out to me;).
Just curious what comparable DAW does have this feature to add a locator/marker to allow custom stop/pause

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:21 am

Just want to chime in here that a command of [] SETPLAY written as the Locator name when using ClyphX Pro does exactly what you ask without the need for any MAxforLive programming...

When the playhead reaches the locator it toggles the global transport off allowing you to press play and start from that position once more when you're ready.

Cheers
D