help for beginner pls - loops

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
alexw

help for beginner pls - loops

Post by alexw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:39 am

Hi!

I just posted this on another part of the forum by mistake...maybe this is a better place

I'm just getting started with Ableton and have managed to solve a few problems with the online tutorials, but hoping someone can help with something I'm stumped on...

I've recorded an audio clip, but it won't loop. I've got the sample display open and "loop" is selected in yellow.
I also moved the square bracket thing to exactly the length I want, but the moving line just keeps on going.....

If I activate the loop switch for the arrangement loop, then this does make it loop - but in the tutorial I was watching the guy does not have this activated and his clip loops anyway.

Did I forget to do something?

0fps

Re: help for beginner pls - loops

Post by 0fps » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:15 am

If you are sure that the clip is looped (and warped also) then u just have to trigger the clip by clicking its play button.
Is any Loop start or length field indicated in red colour. ?
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

alexw

Post by alexw » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:23 am

Nothing is red as far as I can see.....

I was just clicking on the play button to play the clip and both Loop and Warp boxes are yellow.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48 am

Could you post a screenshot of the clip? Thanks!

alexw

Post by alexw » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi there,

sorry it's taken so long to reply (have been away with work), but I hope someone can see what I'm doing wrong...

Here is (hopefully) a screenshot of the right ableton window:

just to recap - my clip isn't looping and I can't figure out why.. :oops:

0fps

Post by 0fps » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Its cause the Loop Length smallest division is in orange. Try a value different than zero.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:15 pm

It's because you're in arrangement view. Drag'n'drop that clip into session view and play it there and it'll loop. In arrangement view, if you want to loop, use that Loop Switch button right at the top of the main screen.

alexw

Post by alexw » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi again and thanks for the replies!

I tried to select the clip and drag it over to the session view button, but this doesn't seem to work. When I'm in session view and press play I can hear the clip and see the sound level go up and down, but it says "no clip selected" in the box at the bottom.

I also tried to change this little orange zero in the loop length, but this also didn't work. It just goes back to zero when I press play. Does this not just tell me to amount of 16ths on the clip length?

alexw

Post by alexw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi, sorry - just giving this a bump as I've been watching some of the videos from the website and on youtube and I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong...and am a bit stuck...

On the video I was watching, the button at the top next to OVR for back to arrangement was in red, but on mine it isn't. Does that make any difference? Also his clip shows up right away in the clip view box (in session view) as soon as he records...

ErnstEiswürfel

Post by ErnstEiswürfel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm

not sure if i really get the point here, but your screenshot looks like all you need to do now is to drag the right boundary of your clip, and make it longer (as loops). the clip in there doesnt seem to be longer than your loop duration.

regarding the orange "0" in the loop length -- yes this just indicates it's not within the 16th note grid. but it can be like that.
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo / OSX 10.5.8 / 4GB RAM / 250GB HD / Live Suite 8.2.1