Wow...had to go back to 8.1...???

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
astromass

Wow...had to go back to 8.1...???

Post by astromass » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:47 am

I was doing great with 8.1, then updated ton8.2....then all of the sudden, pops, crackles, haywire CPU meter etc.
Running a Mac mini 2.0ghz with 1 gb ram

Had to run back to 8.1.5, which able ton made me reauthorize...weird. I really wanna use amp!

Am I missing something!?
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

Varming

Re: Wow...had to go back to 8.1...???

Post by Varming » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:43 am

Are you using an external soundcard? Do you have a secondary display connected to your Mac?

Try play the track with the Preferences window open in Live - do you still hear the pops and crackles when playing with Preferences open in Live?

I also got a lot of problems with pops and crackles in Live 8.2 but with Preferences open they go away.

Oh - please also try to run Live in non-fullscreen and see if the pops and crackles are still there.

I haven't found any solutions (sorry to say) but maybe we have the same problems.
MacBook Pro, 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
ESI ESU1808
Adam A7 monitors
Novation Launchpad
BCR2000
Mac OSX 10.6.4
Ableton Live 8.2

B3

Post by B3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm getting crazy crackling with 8.2.1 too.

If I stop the track I'm working on, click on the CPU meter and shut off the audio engine, and then click again to turn it right back on the crackling goes away.

Unfortunately now I have to do this every other time I click play to start playback.

Varming

Post by Varming » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Did you try the things I suggested?
ESI ESU1808
Adam A7 monitors
Novation Launchpad
BCR2000
Mac OSX 10.6.4
Ableton Live 8.2

B3

Post by B3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Did you try the things I suggested?
Oh yes, absolutely, I tried your suggestions but they didn't have any effect. Thanks though :)

As an update, I hooked up my NI Kore Controller which has a USB sound card in it. No pops or crackles even with low buffer settings. Could this somehow be related to Firewire and the Live audio engine?

B3

Post by B3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:29 pm

I spoke too soon. Crackling happening with the USB interface too. Shut off/turn on audio engine fixes this for a playback. Strangely, I plugged the duet back in and not it's running cleanly at 512 samples with no crackling.

Is this and issue Live's audio engine?

astromass

Post by astromass » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:10 pm

Wow, none of this has worked for me.... I've been a live user since version 1.5 on Mac osX... This is the first hiccup....weird....
....right in the middle of a new project as well....
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

Varming

Post by Varming » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:24 am

With my Numark Omni control there is absolutely no problems but it's a built-in sound card in a MIDI controller. With my ESI ESU1808 it works as long as I'm not going fullscreen. I personally think there is problems with Live's audio engine as everything works perfectly here with Logic, Traktor Pro etc.
ESI ESU1808
Adam A7 monitors
Novation Launchpad
BCR2000
Mac OSX 10.6.4
Ableton Live 8.2

B3

Post by B3 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:32 pm

I've had the same experience with Logic working and Live not. I've been migrating my production work to Live because it's faster to get an idea out. I really love Live for speed. But I noticed CPU issues and crackling with Live that were never present with Logic. I even built a few tracks in parallel in Logic and Live to check my sanity.

When you overwork your machine with Logic there are no crackles or stuttering, the engine just overloads and stops. With Live everything starts popping and crackling and then Live might crash. However I seem to be able to put far more load on Logic before things go south.

Also, the crackling I was getting from Live yesterday was with a project that had 5 tracks. Not exactly a massive project in terms of synths and plugins.

Chris Luzz

Post by Chris Luzz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:57 pm

B3 wrote:I've had the same experience with Logic working and Live not. I've been migrating my production work to Live because it's faster to get an idea out. I really love Live for speed. But I noticed CPU issues and crackling with Live that were never present with Logic. I even built a few tracks in parallel in Logic and Live to check my sanity.

When you overwork your machine with Logic there are no crackles or stuttering, the engine just overloads and stops. With Live everything starts popping and crackling and then Live might crash. However I seem to be able to put far more load on Logic before things go south.

Also, the crackling I was getting from Live yesterday was with a project that had 5 tracks. Not exactly a massive project in terms of synths and plugins.
this is exactly my issue now! does anyone have any solution to the crackling? i even been bouncing each midi inst to audio and it still has trouble crackling. i can't finish remixes/tracks cuz of this and it's driving me insane!

i even have my latency at the highest, 2000 ms and it has such a lag with stopping and playing and the buffer builds up alot

LesMizzell

Post by LesMizzell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:36 am

B3 wrote:I'm getting crazy crackling with 8.2.1 too.
If I stop the track I'm working on, click on the CPU meter and shut off the audio engine, and then click again to turn it right back on the crackling goes away.
1st time live user coming into the program at 8.2.1

Same problem here. Just playing with the some of the included construction kits as I slowly learn my way around, and I'm getting glitches and stutters in the audio playback. Just spent the better part of three hours scratching my head as to why as I can play back much denser Digital Performer projects with no problems on the same system. The few kits I was playing with were running the CPU meter at around 20%.

Suggestion above worked fine. Closing live and reopening the same construction kit and it's still working fine.
Also - reboot the computer from scratch and reopen the same kit ... still OK.

Happy to assist tracking down what's causing this and will be willing to experiment a bit if requested to see if it can be replicated on demand.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:21 am

Excuse me for saying, but 1 Gig of ram is a joke in todays audio world and it's quite possible to be your problem.
(Especially if you are working with audio and VSTis, samples and such)
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

darkmelody

Post by darkmelody » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 am

I'm getting this too! Crazy amounts sometimes only playing 2 or three audio tracks. Haven't tried the workarounds, but even if they work it's ridiculous. Live PA in three days, I'm thinking I'll use 7 which seems rock solid. (Also suggesting it's not a RAM issue ^^)