Studio Monitors - Indecisive

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silwolffe

Studio Monitors - Indecisive

Post by Silwolffe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:51 am

So,

I'm being an indecisive !@#$ and would like someone to make up my mind for me (or rather, help me out!). I'm basically looking at purchasing a pair of monitors to replace the ones that were stolen (they were krk rokits).

I don't know much about monitors. Someone could be outlining fictitious components and wow-ing me with technical jargon, and I wouldn't even know.

I kind of want to try out Mackie MR5s, since I hear wonderful things about Mackie in general and the monitors look absolutely beautiful: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR5/
Cost for the Mackies: $360.00 - I can swallow that.

The alternative would be a pair of M-Audio Studiophile monitors, namely the AV 40: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AV40/
Cost for the Pair: $180

There's also the BX5a Deluxe from M-Audio for $300: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BX5aDeluxe/

These monitors would pretty much just be used for my (re-built) home studio. I have an incredibly shitty 5.1 surround sound system from logitech to kind of tie me over, but god... whenever a certain frequency is hit (most notably on pianos) I get this awful screeching sound, and it's driving me up a wall... Really hurts for when I try to master my own tracks.

What do you guys think? Should I go the expensive route for the sake of quality, or could I get away with an m-audio pair?

McQ714

Re: Studio Monitors - Indecisive

Post by McQ714 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:18 am

at that approximate price, i'd go for these... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P

and actually, i did. i think they sound great for as small as they are. much better output than the BX5a, which I also own.
and down the line, if necessary, add the LSR2310 10" sub for another $400. the system sounds great together. if i didn't already own the presonus monitor station, i'd go for their monitor controller as well.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:09 am

Go and test some for yourself, with a reference CD you enjoy and one with your own mixes.

People will recommend what they own and while that works for them, it may not work out the same for you, in spite of their best intentions. I personally prefer KRKs to Mackies (Rokit RP2 vs MR5 and VXT vs HR624) and JBLs and I agree that the BX5s are not my favourite choice in that price range but then again, my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses. Yamaha's monitors are also good, there aren't really any BAD monitors in that group, which is why it's important you decide for yourself.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am

^^^

what Leeds said.
+use your own judgement.when it comes to studio monitors,listen,listen,listen as much different ones you can.
listen to stuff you really like and know,and also bring stuff which sounds horrible,and has a lot of problems in it(click,pops,whatever).
why? : studio monitors should tell you EXACTLY what's WRONG in your mixes/masters.

after years of listening/testing everything i could l,i finally upgraded my studio monitors to the next level....
my ears are saying "thank you" everyday,plus mixing/mastering became more efficient and faster than ever before,not to mention extremely well-balanced and amazing-sounding.
in other words,get the best you can find/afford,and gearlust in that department will stop(it did for me :D :D ).

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 am

Yeah get the best u can afford. If you can wait save up. Monitors are one of the most important items in the production process. Buy cheap buy twice.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:49 am

Go for the Yamaha HS80 Serie. :D

I got the HS80's with the HS10W subwoofer and they just sound brilliant. You can even play really loud with this system without any problems.

"If Your Mixes Sound Good On These, They'll Sound Good Anywhere"

......and i can only agree to that! No matter what kind of music you play on this system you will actually hear any aspect of the mix......

I did test alot of monitors before i did buy the Yamaha system, the Yamaha's did beat them all, if you ask me, the best buy for your bucks.....

I love my system.......... 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

flippo

Post by flippo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 am

ears

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Genelecs ! are fantastic in my world and other slike Laim Howlett, Monolake etc etc

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:58 pm

jamief wrote:Genelecs ! are fantastic in my world and other slike Laim Howlett, Monolake etc etc
dont think he can budget for genelecs
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:53 pm

I can say AVOID the AV40's. They are fine for your computer, or just listening, but are severely lacking in detail for doing mixdowns. Your budget (especially if you buy used) can get you some decent monitors for sure.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Too bad your not closer to Phoenix. I have a pair of KRK Rokits that I have had sitting here for about a year unused. I was thinking about throwing them up on Craig's list this weekend just to get them out of the way.

Silwolffe

Post by Silwolffe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Wow, look at all these wonderful posts. Thanks, guys!

McQ714 wrote:at that approximate price, i'd go for these... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P

and actually, i did. i think they sound great for as small as they are. much better output than the BX5a, which I also own.
and down the line, if necessary, add the LSR2310 10" sub for another $400. the system sounds great together. if i didn't already own the presonus monitor station, i'd go for their monitor controller as well.
They look pretty good, thanks for the suggestion. How big is your 'studio' room? Do you have padding placed around? I'll probably be picking up a pair of isolation wedges to go along with the monitors. My room isn't exactly 'audio' friendly, but it's on my to-do-list.

Also sucks that my surface is glass... Yeah.
leedsquietman wrote:Go and test some for yourself, with a reference CD you enjoy and one with your own mixes.

People will recommend what they own and while that works for them, it may not work out the same for you, in spite of their best intentions. I personally prefer KRKs to Mackies (Rokit RP2 vs MR5 and VXT vs HR624) and JBLs and I agree that the BX5s are not my favourite choice in that price range but then again, my opinion is no more valid than anyone elses. Yamaha's monitors are also good, there aren't really any BAD monitors in that group, which is why it's important you decide for yourself.
If sweetwater carried the KRK's, I probably would have grabbed the same monitors - but unfortunately they don't, and since I'm purchasing other equipment under their 3-month payment plan, I kind of want to bundle everything together.

I'll look in to some Yamaha speakers, thanks for the suggestion.
33tetragammon wrote:^^^

what Leeds said.
+use your own judgement.when it comes to studio monitors,listen,listen,listen as much different ones you can.
listen to stuff you really like and know,and also bring stuff which sounds horrible,and has a lot of problems in it(click,pops,whatever).
why? : studio monitors should tell you EXACTLY what's WRONG in your mixes/masters.

after years of listening/testing everything i could l,i finally upgraded my studio monitors to the next level....
my ears are saying "thank you" everyday,plus mixing/mastering became more efficient and faster than ever before,not to mention extremely well-balanced and amazing-sounding.
in other words,get the best you can find/afford,and gearlust in that department will stop(it did for me :D :D ).
Thank you, I agree 110%. I'm not happy with my current setup, especially considering how terrible my speakers are.
xzusa8ky wrote:Go for the Yamaha HS80 Serie. :D ...
Thanks, I'll definitely look in to the HS80's.
jamief wrote:Genelecs ! are fantastic in my world and other slike Laim Howlett, Monolake etc etc
I saw that one of their monitors price listed at, like, $2,300. Maybe when I make my first million.
contakt321 wrote:I can say AVOID the AV40's. They are fine for your computer, or just listening, but are severely lacking in detail for doing mixdowns. Your budget (especially if you buy used) can get you some decent monitors for sure.
Yeah, I'm a little less than luke-warm with m-audio monitors. I think I'll pass on them - thanks!
UncleAge wrote:Too bad your not closer to Phoenix. I have a pair of KRK Rokits that I have had sitting here for about a year unused. I was thinking about throwing them up on Craig's list this weekend just to get them out of the way.
How much are you looking to sell them for + shipping?

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Buy good second hand. If you don't like them or simply want to try something new, sell them on and try something else.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Silwolffe wrote:How much are you looking to sell them for + shipping?
I'll send you a pm.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Silwolffe wrote:
McQ714 wrote:at that approximate price, i'd go for these... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P

They look pretty good, thanks for the suggestion. How big is your 'studio' room? Do you have padding placed around? I'll probably be picking up a pair of isolation wedges to go along with the monitors. My room isn't exactly 'audio' friendly, but it's on my to-do-list.

Also sucks that my surface is glass... Yeah.
my current room is 130 SF.. old one was only 100 SF. just got everything setup and haven't had a chance to test much in the new room. i don't have any treatment in the room other than my cheap MoPads. not much i can do with this room's layout, though.