Konkreet Performer - a new multitouch controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

Konkreet Performer - a new multitouch controller

Post by 8O » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:57 am

Hi folks,

We've been working on a new multitouch controller for the iPad, something more than just a copy of a mouse-driven screen or knobs and faders, something that really takes advantage of a multiple touches and gestures.

Here's our preview video:

Here's some more info from our website:

Konkreet Performer is a control instrument for live music performance.
Its unique and intuitive multi-touch interface reconnects the musician’s
actions directly with the music.

Taking full advantage of the possibilities created by the latest multi-touch technology,
Konkreet Performer delivers a revolutionary new way to control your DAWs,
synthesizers, samplers (anything that receives MIDI/OSC).

More than a studio controller,
Konkreet Performer has been designed from the ground up to be a superior live performance instrument,
bringing the dynamic audio and visual connection between the musician and the audience to the stage.

It will be released as an iOS App at the beginning of 2011.

We've been using it to control Ableton Live racks, Kore and Reaktor and it works beautifully... just thought I'd share the excitement :D

ikarys

Re: Konkreet Performer - a new multitouch controller

Post by ikarys » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 pm

That actually looks pretty kickass. Good work. Look forward to it.
Ableton Suite 8.2, APC40, Novation ZeRO SL MkII, Maschine, Keyrig49

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Somebody heard the cries of former Lemur users for OSC objects with physics and took it a little too far :D

Keep em coming I say!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:18 pm

looks great! will stop by on wednesday if i can.

posssu

Post by posssu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Wow, looks actually really desirable! This IS something new!
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

Wunjo

Post by Wunjo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:03 pm

Maybe I need to research this a little bit on the side but the iPad doesn't have a usb port correct? So how exactly does this hook up to your DAW? ANd from what I gathered this is an APP for the iPad that you can purchase then install? Any ballpark numbers on how much the APP would cost?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm

hoffman2k wrote:Somebody heard the cries of former Lemur users for OSC objects with physics and took it a little too far :D

Keep em coming I say!
I don't wanna hijaak the tread once more speaking about my beloved usine, but did ya give it a try it hoffman?
the free version is quasi full functional.

since usine V5 was out 1 year ago any modules can receive multitouch datas with physics addons you can implement your own
custom behaviours, and use midi or OSC.
there are modules that can handle up to 128 points, rec /replay moves, draw lines, points or shapes, you can chain them
so that one is displayed in background of previous ect.
basically anything youve got in mind is possible. the creator of usine was a hardcore lemur/max msp user and went fed up with their dev
and build it's own program, that tells long about it..

mind ya you lucky IPAD owner has a great hardware to run on, and it's pleasant to have a nice out of the box instrument
suposed cheap like konkreete, just a reminder such tools exist from a few time now..

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Hey thanks for the positive comments!
swishniak wrote:looks great! will stop by on wednesday if i can.
Yeah, please do... say hello and have a go with Performer :)

Wunjo wrote:Maybe I need to research this a little bit on the side but the iPad doesn't have a usb port correct? So how exactly does this hook up to your DAW? ANd from what I gathered this is an APP for the iPad that you can purchase then install? Any ballpark numbers on how much the APP would cost?
It's via wlan to the DAW, same as other iPad apps like TouchOSC, etc. Yes, standard iPad app via iTunes App Store. Price yet to be decided...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 pm

fx23 wrote:I don't wanna hijaak the tread once more speaking about my beloved usine, but did ya give it a try it hoffman?
My 2 main problems here are lack of a Mac version and the fact that dual-touch doesn't even come close to supporting 11 tracking points. Its just a different workflow.
Maybe a 3rd issue is the screen factor. The iPad is just the right size. Anything bigger would require a new gearbag (if it even fits) and I'm not a fan of gorilla arms. Anything smaller doesn't cover my needs.

Has Usine considered making an iOS port? Seems like they're making the same mistake Jazzmutant is making. If you got the goods, why not bring it to the most suitable hardware?

duro

Post by duro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:14 pm

It's been disclosed that an upcoming release of iOS will feature CoreMIDI. It's only a matter of time that there will be an extension cable, and necessary software APIs for developers to do straight MIDI over USB with the iDevices. I'm really looking forward to this. I hope that this is also capable of sending OSC as well.

Right now, doing this sort of control over WIFI is very susceptible to latency. But these apps are still very cool never the less. I will definitely be keeping my eye on all this.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:23 pm

8)

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:12 pm

hoffman2k wrote: My 2 main problems here are lack of a Mac version and the fact that dual-touch doesn't even come close to supporting 11 tracking points. Its just a different workflow.
Maybe a 3rd issue is the screen factor. The iPad is just the right size. Anything bigger would require a new gearbag (if it even fits) and I'm not a fan of gorilla arms. Anything smaller doesn't cover my needs.

Has Usine considered making an iOS port? Seems like they're making the same mistake Jazzmutant is making. If you got the goods, why not bring it to the most suitable hardware?
yep that make sense. Actually Usine is PC only sadly. There is an important discuss from a while on a future crossplatform version that will come for sure, but it will take a bit of time. Right on Hardware too. No PC / general monitor / Ipad multitouch equivalent yet. But I do Hope some will come at X-mas for
true Multitouch like exxoPx or 3M.

there won't be ios port for sure, the 'need approval' and global Apple strategy is not appreciated. And the CPu/RAM is'nt enough beefy for serious audio apps.
(usine isn't only about multitouch controllers, it's also full daw that can load VSTi or do some DSP)but i wouldn't compare Usine to Lemur, what do you mean by same mistake?
they are night and day, Lemur is closed to it's own software, a monitor running usine can run anyother soft, usine is open, has quasi no limits and you can
even build your own C++ modules with the SDK..

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 pm

My bad. I saw usine as a sort of jazzeditor clone. Forgot about its other functions.
Still not something for me personally though. If decent screens do come out, I'd go with Max.
The good thing is that there is plenty of choice on all platforms.
As for decent screens arriving soon. I've been hearing that since like 2004 or something. The only thing that has happened since is the HP quality dual touch screens now coming in the standard PC packages at your local supermarkets.
Jeff Han sold out, MS Surface costs a fortune and anything halfway decent involved camera tracking...

Same crap every year really. Just a different "nearly there" story.
Meanwhile, all those "restrictive" Apple devices are selling by the millions and in 2 or 3 years you'll be able to pick up these first generation iPads very cheaply. Not to mention all the iPods, Magic trackpads and Androids. Add 3D screens and camera tracking and pretty soon our studios will actually start to resemble a Star Trek bridge along with matching Star Wars style holograms.
Oh right.. 3D.. Do they make stereoscopic multitouch screens yet? :D

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am

We're on CDM! http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/11/p ... ce-teaser/ - there's some more info on our concept there.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Just submitted to iTunes Store last night...! :D