Compared to Reaper Live feels SO bloated!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Compared to Reaper Live feels SO bloated!

Post by djsynchro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:03 pm

On My Quad Core Reaper starts in a quarter of a second. Live takes forever, longer in fact, than Reaper updates take to install.
Live includes Gigabytes of library sounds that I never use, and it has real-time capabilities that I not really use any more. The last time I did
(interactive sound installation where visitors got to press buttons on a Novation LaunchPad) I had to restart Live so many times I lost count. that was right after version 8 was released... the beta phase was not over but marketing has set a date and there it was.

I do really like Live's effects, but I am sure if I looked around I could find worthy replacements. Every time I make a track it's the UAD plug-ins. All the "wow" effects in Live (Vocoder, Corpus) are amazing but I don't use them. There's a lot of bog-standard DAW functions that I need on a day-to-day basis such as nudging a clip by frames using some keyboard shortcuts that Live doesn't do...

So Live is on probation. It would be annoying to change over, all my Sampler stuff would have to be ported to a new Sampler (kontakt?) Tried Rewiring... Live crashes and takes the whole system down. will try ReaRoute but it's kinda clumsy working with 2 programs at the same time

:| :| :|

martinkellogs

Re: Compared to Reaper Live feels SO bloated!

Post by martinkellogs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:42 pm

edited
Last edited by martinkellogs on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm

if, in the future, you completely stop using Live will you still continue to thread jack our forum? Is there a Reaper forum suitable for future jacking? Will it just dork?
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Show me Reaper's Session View and maybe I'd care.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 pm

mholloway wrote:Show me Reaper's Session View and maybe I'd care.

-M
Exactly. Show me a session view in any other DAW...

I used to think that Logic would eventually get one and that would be the day I stopped using Live, but it never happened and lots of goodies for live like the APC and ipad apps have also cemented the Session View in Live as the unbeatable feature.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Post by 4.33 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:11 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
mholloway wrote:Show me Reaper's Session View and maybe I'd care.

-M
Exactly. Show me a session view in any other DAW...

I used to think that Logic would eventually get one and that would be the day I stopped using Live, but it never happened and lots of goodies for live like the APC and ipad apps have also cemented the Session View in Live as the unbeatable feature.
Sonar, but it sucks.

Live does feel bloated, not only in comparison to Reaper, but even to itself circa few versions back.
it just went wrong with all these licensed instruments, samples and whatnot, taking away from simplicity and stability.
the only thing over the last few years that enhanced the live aspect of Live was max4live.

Live is best at what it's best and it is live.

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 pm

Would Live feel less bloated for some people if they kept their Instruments and samples folders closed? :x Get regular Live instead of the Suite and don't download any sample packs. Problem solved.

Aside from stability issues, which (knock on wood), I've only had a few, Live 8 performs it's basic functions the same as previous versions (I've been upgrading since v. 4)

I'd probably also consider another DAW or performance app IF it had: Session view, dedicated controllers, and a tempo-setting Looper device, but there isn't one is there?. :roll:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Lazos wrote:Would Live feel less bloated for some people if they kept their Instruments and samples folders closed? :x Get regular Live instead of the Suite and don't download any sample packs. Problem solved.
I pretty much agree. I don't think Live is "bloated" just because it has some instruments. If you don't want them, you never have to look at them, doesn't affect the program or bloat imo.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Post by 4.33 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Lazos wrote:Would Live feel less bloated for some people if they kept their Instruments and samples folders closed? :x Get regular Live instead of the Suite and don't download any sample packs. Problem solved.
I pretty much agree. I don't think Live is "bloated" just because it has some instruments. If you don't want them, you never have to look at them, doesn't affect the program or bloat imo.
my point is that i'd appreciate the development in the live department of Live, and not just endless integration of every bloody plugin in the market

Short Scope Boy

Post by Short Scope Boy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi all

I've gone from Atari to Windows to Mac, and I have used all the major DAW's... Live is without a doubt the most efficient means of creating usable ideas in the most enjoyable way. I have Nuendo, Studio One, Reason etc, but since I demoed Live 7; and subsequently purchased Live Intro I have transformed the way I work.

Don't talk rubbish about loading times etc as it is all irrelevant, the finished result is what is important.

Go back to Midi only sequencing and then you will know what it is like to have headaches!!! What we have in 8.2 is a producers dream.

Why post pointless comparisons about other DAWS, it is not relevant.

We all know they exist; we choose to use Live.

Two words. Live=Genius. :mrgreen:
MacBook Pro: 2.4 4GB DDR3 - Live Intro 8.2 - Maschine - PreSonus Firestudio Mobile - LARGO - SL61 MK2 - Launchpad - Nocturn - Amplitube Fender - ESP LTD H401 EMG - Guitar Rig 3 - PreSonus Studio One - KRK RP5 - Blue Sky Media Desk

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:13 pm

It's a fair comment to say Live is bloated, but by the same token, so is Logic, Cubase, Sonar etc. Much of the bloat is simply virtual instruments and sound content, which by avoiding Suite or not installing sound content, you can take a lot of the bloat away.

Reaper is a fair enough program for what it is. I personally think it is a bit TOO lean with regard to sound content and inbuilt instruments, especially for a beginner who doesn't have a big arsenal of 3rd party vsts and/or sound content, making it necessary to buy add ons and create bloat in a different way !

Somewhere in between is probably the happy medium.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm

4.33 wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
my point is that i'd appreciate the development in the live department of Live, and not just endless integration of every bloody plugin in the market
+1 to what 4.33 is saying. The development time spent on all the 'extras', and trying to compete with the features in every regular DAW (e.g. Logic / Cubase / Sonar), I would like to see put into developing session view and tools for live performance. Live should be a focussed tool to do a specific job, in my view.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:27 pm

currently Reaper is on version 3.
fast forward to Reaper forums version 8:

"Oh man, Reaper is so bloated. I am seriously thinking about switching to Next Thing. My work flow with Next Thing is so much easier."

every day up until then: Reaper needs more... more... more... more...

the future is so bright I gotta wear 8)
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Short Scope Boy

Post by Short Scope Boy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 pm

H20nly wrote:currently Reaper is on version 3.
fast forward to Reaper forums version 8:

"Oh man, Reaper is so bloated. I am seriously thinking about switching to Next Thing. My work flow with Next Thing is so much easier."

every day up until then: Reaper needs more... more... more... more...

the future is so bright I gotta wear 8)
:D
MacBook Pro: 2.4 4GB DDR3 - Live Intro 8.2 - Maschine - PreSonus Firestudio Mobile - LARGO - SL61 MK2 - Launchpad - Nocturn - Amplitube Fender - ESP LTD H401 EMG - Guitar Rig 3 - PreSonus Studio One - KRK RP5 - Blue Sky Media Desk

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:19 pm

You can choose not to install all the extra stuff, you know.