PLEASE HELP....DJ MIX Too Long, Need to Shorten It in time

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Awethentik

PLEASE HELP....DJ MIX Too Long, Need to Shorten It in time

Post by Awethentik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm

I made a Mix that is about 105 min long and I need to get it to 80 min to fit it on a CD. How do I about doing this?

I don't want to cut anything out so I was thinking of either speeding up the tempo a little bit or trying to get the file size under 700MB and still be WAV format.

Also I have Ableton Live Suite 8 1.2

I also have wavelab available to me as well.

Thanks for viewing and any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Awethentik on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awethentik

Re: PLEASE HELP....DJ MIX Too Long, Need to Shorten It in time

Post by Awethentik » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:05 pm

I also have Wavelab available to me as well

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:08 pm

So you have a wave or aiff file that you've already recorded, and you want it to be 29 minutes shorter? I don't know; editing a DJ mix like that seems a bit silly to me — a mix is mostly about there and then, and when you go back, trying to "perfect" it subsequently, you're actually losing a lot in the process. That said, Live's Arrangement view is really good for this, cause it's relatively easy to zoom in, find the downbeats, and simply delete portions of the mix that you find expendable. But I think you'd be better off recording the mix over again, you might find it's actually quicker, and the result will most likely be better.

darkmelody

Post by darkmelody » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:12 am

Hmm if you only needed to shorten it by a few minutes, I would have suggested increasing the master tempo, but for the amount you are talking about that won't work

Awethentik

Post by Awethentik » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Sorry I had posted it wrong I just fixed it the thread

concept_control

Post by concept_control » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 pm

A wave file is a standard amount of MB per second. Therefore, a completely silent and a completely clipped wav of the same length will be the same size in MB. Hence why mp3 is around. I'm not sure about AIFF, but I'm thinking it's a similar situation with a different extension!

That said though I'm pretty sure it is possible if you're recording at higher than 16bit, to chop it in size you'll need to drop your bounce to 16bits, which is fine for CD audio anyway.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Your problem is the format and the length of your mix.

If this is intended for an 'audio CD', your mix HAS to be 80 min or less. There are no ifs ands or buts about it. Your mix is 105 min, and you do not intend to cut anything out. If you were to make it play faster, you would pretty much be killing the vibe of everything. You'd have been better off in that case by djing at a different tempo from the start. Then your grooves/beats/everything would have the appropriate feel for that tempo. You can't just toss it up 10 or 20 bpm and expect it to be good to go (although I have done that before haha... I immediately regretted it :( )

If you are intending for this to be on a 'data CD', then you can most likely save it to wav with different settings. You have to then keep in mind what you will be retrieving the data with. If you plan to preserve the quality of the audio, you might have to use a more compressed data format.

Otherwise there is always flash drives and stuff. or using more than one disc (bonus tracks on 2nd disc?? maybe a mini mix?)

I'd go with the 2 disc option personally. Or just butcher the mix, and make a new one. Never hurts to approach ideas from different angles. It will make you stronger in the long run :D

edit: on one last thought.. isn't it possible to do double-length mono CDs?? I don't know anything about this in practice.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:27 am

yur2die4 wrote:Your problem is the format and the length of your mix.

edit: on one last thought.. isn't it possible to do double-length mono CDs?? I don't know anything about this in practice.
don't think this is possible as the redbook cd standard is two channels with total duration of around 80 mins. only option you have is to stick one part of the mix in mono on the left channel and use the right for the remainder. then play it back twice from the beginning. first time with your pan set fully left. second fully right.

@ the op. if you don't want to edit it and it really must be on an audio cd i'd re-do the mix and keep an eye on the time. it might be even better second time round...
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

Awethentik

Post by Awethentik » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Thanks for all the help and yea it looks like I'm gonna have to go the mp3 CD option to keep everything. All the songs blend together so I'm not really feeling the 2 CD option. On top of that I have special CD's I want to use to burn on that are also 80min CD's. Either way tho atleast now I know for sure for the future that CD's are all about the time and never the size when it comes to .wav format.

Any tips about getting the best quality when I crunch this down to mp3 or????

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm

encode it at 320kbps.not quite but almost equivalent to wav quality, depending on the size of system it's played back on .you should be able to get the file down to around 2.4mb per minute at that bit rate......
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

domkane

Post by domkane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:54 pm

cut it in half and make a double CD?
Producer | Engineer | Sound-Designer

Sound designer for Moog (Phatty Series, Animoog, Sub37), FXpansion (D-CAM, Geist), Steve Duda & Deadmau5 (Nerve & Serum)

ARTIST: http://www.domkane.com
STUDIO: http://www.kaneaudio.com

Awethentik

Post by Awethentik » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Did some more research and now I'm trying to see about making it a Gapless MP3 CD. I've already contacted Steinberg support with Wavelab and also Ableton. I've also been searching around on the net and forums and the only thing I can come up with is either:

A. The player has to support Gapless MP3 playback, so something like an Ipod.
B. You can use Cue sheets but then again I believe if not mistaken this also depends on the player.

I was able to shorten the mix a little bit but not much. Now it's 100 min long and pauses at every transition. A close friend tasked me with the project and I'm trying to finalize it but running into all these barriers as this is something I've never attempted before.

You can read in much more detail on wikipedia about "Gapless Playback", but I'm reaching out again to see if anyone knows anyway to make this a Gapless MP3 Tracked-Out Mix that you could play on a MP3 CD player.

Thanks