The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Resource Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
old school user

Re: The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Resource Thread

Post by old school user » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:34 pm

delicioso wrote: But just in the ipod and iphone versions? The video linked above shows knobs for all the device controls on the ipad. Shame. Silly knobs. Unless it allows up/down motion for the knobs, then that's half decent. But actually needing to go in a circle just doesn't make sense.
I agree, but they're big enough & responsive on the iPad to be useable

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Usable is one thing, but sensible is another. The only reason knobs are used is because they simulating a hardware interface that does not apply on a touch screen. Sure you can still rotate your finger in a circle but if you stop and think about it, why the hell would anyone prefer a circular motion to a straight up and down motion to adjust a parameter? And have you tried adjusting two circular parameters with one had on a touch screen? How about three? Super awkward. Easy with faders. Knobs have good reason for existence on hardware, but not on touch screens.
Professional Shark Jumper.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:why the hell would anyone prefer a circular motion to a straight up and down motion to adjust a parameter?
Space. If you have a knob at the top or bottom of the screen, it becomes harder to adjust than a rotary motion.

Both behaviors have their pros and cons. Too bad you can't select which one you'd like on a per knob basis...

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:12 am

How are knobs bad on a touchscreen? they work just like faders but take less space. At least that's how it is in nanostudio. You don't need to make a twisting gesture. Just touch it then drag up or down.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:44 am

Has anyone purchased the Akai Synthstation 25 controller yet for their device?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm

bigbadotis wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:why the hell would anyone prefer a circular motion to a straight up and down motion to adjust a parameter?
Space. If you have a knob at the top or bottom of the screen, it becomes harder to adjust than a rotary motion.

Both behaviors have their pros and cons. Too bad you can't select which one you'd like on a per knob basis...
Actually in general you can fit in more sliders than knobs. For example the touchable screen that has 32 parameters just in the lower half, is perfectly usable. Try that with knobs...
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:26 pm

shimmy wrote:Has anyone purchased the Akai Synthstation 25 controller yet for their device?

Saw it at Guitar Center earlier this week, but it's SUPER cheap feeling. The keys are a joke, I can't believe they charge even $99 for this. Bummer.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm

dave999z wrote:How are knobs bad on a touchscreen? they work just like faders but take less space. At least that's how it is in nanostudio. You don't need to make a twisting gesture. Just touch it then drag up or down.
I find the circular aspect in NS a PITA myself. Wish they had a horizontal mode for the knobs instead of the vertical, always hitting the edge of my iPhone adjusting things in vertical mode.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:49 pm

You know the Moog filter app Filtaton, right?

http://www.moogmusic.com/

Did you know it comes for free with the Moog Fest free app?

http://itunes.apple.com/se/app/moogfest ... 90311?mt=8

Wicked. Now, who can work out what the catch is? Is it a lite/demo version, does it time out? I d/l it and am playing with it now, very cool.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 pm

The interface looks phenomenal. Can't wait to check it out.

delicioso

Re: What can I do with my Iphone 2g without wifi?

Post by delicioso » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:27 pm

#1thelark wrote:Is there any midi-software that can be used without wifi-connection?
This is happening sooner than I thought but yeah, the next version of Pianist Pro for example will not only support midi via the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer but also just straight usb MIDI through the camera connection kit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Pwa3SbFFE

LoopStationZebra

Re: What can I do with my Iphone 2g without wifi?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:57 am

delicioso wrote:
#1thelark wrote:Is there any midi-software that can be used without wifi-connection?
This is happening sooner than I thought but yeah, the next version of Pianist Pro for example will not only support midi via the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer but also just straight usb MIDI through the camera connection kit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Pwa3SbFFE

8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Tarekith wrote:
shimmy wrote:Has anyone purchased the Akai Synthstation 25 controller yet for their device?

Saw it at Guitar Center earlier this week, but it's SUPER cheap feeling. The keys are a joke, I can't believe they charge even $99 for this. Bummer.
I guess I'll wait for it to drop dramatically in price. Yea bummer.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Yes!!!

Hello KORG iMS-20

Now available in the app store:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-ims ... mpt=uo%3D4