How do you make your kicks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hermanus

Re: How do you make your kicks?

Post by Hermanus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I personaly give my kicks with my feet.
One at a time off course :lol:

Sorry I'm already out... >>> [_]

yellow

Post by yellow » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:16 pm

synth + sample + compression + EQ

format6

Post by format6 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 pm

I did an episode on my approch to layering kicks:

http://thedspproject.com/kick-layering- ... ncellation

Might help...

noizesurge

Post by noizesurge » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:19 am

I generally use free pre-recorded samples (I don't have a mic or kit) and "judicious" use of EQ, compression and the drum rack sampler. But it doesn't matter what type of kick it is. It could be from a 'rock kit', but I tweak it so it works in a house track, for example :)

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:12 am

I have started making a DrumRack by sampling my HandMade 808/909 analogue kick drum module.

Here is the download link for Mr.DOOF
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:52 am

I get mine on Route 66
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:03 am

:lol:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 am

Simbosan wrote:I get mine on Route 66
:lol:

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Making a kick with a synth (video) : http://www.vimeo.com/7111240

cheers,
bagginz

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:16 am

Thanks for the pointers everyone :)

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:17 pm

leedsquietman wrote:Then again, certain sounds, especially 808/909 kicks based on sine waves, sometimes need a little extra help from a sample etc. to cut through.
Hm.. normally on the 909 kick a little saturation does the trick...and...BAM in your face (love the 909 sounds)! :-D

At the moment I am also experimenting with bassdrum-synthesis (also in reaktor) and its really tricky to get a good sound out of it. On simple pitch modulated sines (sometimes triangle also works), saturator is always nice (but not too much unless you want some hardcore). With this method, it is relatively easy to get some ploppy stompy goa/psytrance kicks. Using a compressor can give you nice sound, but to play it rythmically you need to sample it, because the compressor can make it sound weird when played fast.

If you are into Harcore/Harstyle Kicks, the only rule is to apply lots of distortion and play around wth pre nad post filtering. Also I am a newbie to this, I got nice ones out of a simple pitch modulated sine, splitting its signal in live: the first just clean, maybe a bit of saturator and the other one for the newschool heavy distortion into guitar rick (transamp distortion effect sounds pretty cool there). then the mix of both into the saturator (feel free to tune up the drive!) to give heavy punch. The mix of both is really important. Also play around with every parameter (also importand the envelope settings of the sine wave) and introduce filtering where it sounds good. just trust your ears here.
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Der_Makrophag wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:Then again, certain sounds, especially 808/909 kicks based on sine waves, sometimes need a little extra help from a sample etc. to cut through.
Hm.. normally on the 909 kick a little saturation does the trick...and...BAM in your face (love the 909 sounds)! :-D

At the moment I am also experimenting with bassdrum-synthesis (also in reaktor) and its really tricky to get a good sound out of it. On simple pitch modulated sines (sometimes triangle also works), saturator is always nice (but not too much unless you want some hardcore). With this method, it is relatively easy to get some ploppy stompy goa/psytrance kicks. Using a compressor can give you nice sound, but to play it rythmically you need to sample it, because the compressor can make it sound weird when played fast.

If you are into Harcore/Harstyle Kicks, the only rule is to apply lots of distortion and play around wth pre nad post filtering. Also I am a newbie to this, I got nice ones out of a simple pitch modulated sine, splitting its signal in live: the first just clean, maybe a bit of saturator and the other one for the newschool heavy distortion into guitar rick (transamp distortion effect sounds pretty cool there). then the mix of both into the saturator (feel free to tune up the drive!) to give heavy punch. The mix of both is really important. Also play around with every parameter (also importand the envelope settings of the sine wave) and introduce filtering where it sounds good. just trust your ears here.
Do you use multiband dynamics to split it? I find it changes the sound too much so an alternative would be nice.

You should try layering 3 sine oscillators with different frequencies and pitch envelopes instead of just using one, just make sure all the attacks are different so the transients don't happen at the same time. It's a lot of work but the result is a lot better.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:13 pm

@Dr: you need linear phase filters if you want splitting frequencies while staying transparent,
live's own filters won't allow that need to go 3rd party.(but it induces high latency so resampling is needed then).

i myself use booth techniques, sometimes only synth sin pitched with process, layered or not with a real sample
with multiband sidechain to ovoid overlaping or manually equing/ envelope shaping to pick best of booth avoiding phasing problems.
or sometimes spliting in two parts, hi/mid for tick/attack, and low for body sustain , for a more accurate sculpting.
to make extra punch, the attack can be layered with other mid/high freq such as noise/hh/sd/cp or anything short.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Not really into layering at all as it is easy to sit there mixing drums and making them sound huge and then find they don't sit right in the mix at all and end up removing all the layers.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Sage wrote:Not really into layering at all as it is easy to sit there mixing drums and making them sound huge and then find they don't sit right in the mix at all and end up removing all the layers.
agreed. I normally mix my drums close to where I want them and then start adding to the track around them.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax