Monitors

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
agent314

Re: Monitors

Post by agent314 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:42 am

That said:

I'm thinking about either a pair of Rokit 5 G2s or. M-Audio BX5As

They're 260 vs. 240USD on Amazon. Any strong preferences one way or the other?

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 am

leedsquietman wrote:<snip> the yellow is the extra 30% awesomeness ;)
that's the only thing I hate about my rokit 6s - besides of that they're fantastic!
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:28 am

For a cheap price, I love my Yam hs-50.
They sound kind of really flat, not boomy at all.
Krk are really boomy.

I've listen to other monitors, and one day I'll buy really expensive one and that will probably be genelecs or adams. I listened to all, and those two were amazing.

but for cheap and still correct/flat stuff, I love my Yamaha hs-50.

And they cone white cone, that's pretty cool too.

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

If you can stretch your budget just a little bit you could get a pair of these:
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/f ... tor--73142

For 500 euro you could probably get a pair of used Adam A7 or Genelec 8020 though. Most value for your money in my opinion.

Like stated before, you really should try to visit a store and listen yourself if at all possible.
Mac, Live, Logic, Cubase, Reason, Renoise and a bunch of VSTs

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm

KRK's are not 'boomy'. They must not have been set up properly if you believe they were. The older series Rokit was a bit boomier, but new cabinet design reduces that significantly. And certainly, compared to rear ported speakers like the Alesis mkII and M-Audio BX5a, the bass end is clearer and less hyped.

The VXT8s are used by some major producers and engineers in top commercial studios and some like them as much as Genelecs for nearfield analysis.

While I am all for the Yamaha and Adam etc, and subjective opinion dictates which is best, I have to disagree that KRKs are boomy. I've owned both VXT6s and Rokit 5 RP2s and did not find that to be the case either in the music store or my studio.

Most music stores here have several monitors rigged up to try, and if not, show em the money and they'll connect them up in a flash !
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:37 am

leedsquietman wrote:KRK's are not 'boomy'. They must not have been set up properly if you believe they were. The older series Rokit was a bit boomier, but new cabinet design reduces that significantly. And certainly, compared to rear ported speakers like the Alesis mkII and M-Audio BX5a, the bass end is clearer and less hyped.

The VXT8s are used by some major producers and engineers in top commercial studios and some like them as much as Genelecs for nearfield analysis.

While I am all for the Yamaha and Adam etc, and subjective opinion dictates which is best, I have to disagree that KRKs are boomy. I've owned both VXT6s and Rokit 5 RP2s and did not find that to be the case either in the music store or my studio.

Most music stores here have several monitors rigged up to try, and if not, show em the money and they'll connect them up in a flash !
Hehe well I'm probably used to my hs 50 that have vey little bass

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:44 am

I like the Yamahas too.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:26 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I like the Yamahas too.
I like the Krks too.
Actually a friend got them (the 8'), and I regularly check my production on his monitors, there is much more definition in the bottom end. And as you said, he and I think he should have chosen the 5' one because his room is too small, hence the boomy feeling that we got. after spending 3 or 4 hours in his room, it's headache for sure, because there is way too much bass (because of the room).

But non the less, I've listen to them in some shops as well, and they have more bass than other monitors. But yea, boomy was probably too much ;)

Nickswardson

Post by Nickswardson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:43 pm

First of thanks for all the awnsers!
So i still haven't bought the monitors. I just want them now but it seems like i shouldnt rush my decision. Im leaning bewtween the Adam x7 and the KRK vxt6. This is only based on reviews and peoples opinions. I havent had time to find a store that has both and listen to them. My budget is atm around 500-700 euros. I dont want to HAVE to buy a sub at the moment since i only have been producing for less then a year and hardware gear is all pretty new to me. Still i want to be able to clearly hear the bass frequencies since im making house. My studio is also my bed-living room which means it isnt that big and i there are a few big objects. Im not able to do any major changes in my room since its just accurate and wouldnt be possible to manage in another way. here is a small example(dont know if this helps at all):
http://yfrog.com/mamyroomj

Since i my room isnt that big i dont know if the vxt6 or adam x7 are too big, on the other hand i dont want to buy a sub yet.
Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Nickswardson

Post by Nickswardson » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:50 am

bump

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Yamaha MSP7??? Never heard them though. Good reviews.

Tibo2004

Post by Tibo2004 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi,

i just bought a pair of A3X for $650 a pair.

- I was looking at KRK 6 and 5 ad JBL 2325 ($400 a pair).
- I read and was advised that JBL 2325 was more neutral than Rokit 6. Not crystal clear to me to be honest. between the 2 i would have chosen the Rokit.
- The Adam A3X was significantly better in clarity and stereo image (you could "place" sounds better) than the JBL. That was the most important feature IMO.
- in terms of bass the Rokit 6 was the best but again on clarity I preferred the Adam
- A3X limitation is that the sweet spot you obtain is pretty small. As soon as you move around your desk the sound you hear changes a bit. I guess it is enough if you are alone in front of your computer but if you go around the room to play instrument it might be a problem.
- Very small footprint of the A3X and their pretty good look are also positive. rokit are not bad but JBL really look like crap (not talking about quality but look here)
- to be honest I am very impressed by the A3X. I did not expect such clarity and small speakers.
- It is very tempted to go higher in price. You can't really compare Rokit 5 ($300 a pair) and A3X (600)... But the improvement is significant.
- This is just my opinion but even with small A3X I feel that the potential is limited by my bedroom... clearly not the best set-up. I have the personnal feeling that bigger is not better if your workspace is not optimal. I can also say from testing in the store that the A5X would give you better bass and a bigger sweet spot. But it was not worth the price to me and they are quite bigger.

I would recommend checking the recordings of NuForce recording to benchmark your monitors. (http://www.nuforce.com/hp/media/Nuforce ... /index.php). They have a few good tracks. Note that WAV are 24/96, can be read by Itunes but not ipods. On my A3X I can now make the difference between a 16/44 recording (CD standard) and a 24/96 track (using an Apogee Duet), which is pretty amazing IMO for speakers this small and this cheap (ok 600 is not that cheap but it's not crazy).

Just my opinion, I certainly do not have a great experience in this field. But I dont feel limited with an apogee duet + A3X. for about $ 1K the package I am satisfied for my bedroom studio. in temr of clarity (i like hi-fi audio) i could not imagine getting these results with such a limited invesmtent.

Hope this helps.
--------------