getting that drop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GDOGG

getting that drop

Post by GDOGG » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:57 am

Anyone got any tips on how to get a really good drop on a tune, sort of progressive house build up and then release, i've got the hang of getting the tune going but still trying to figure out a good way to properly build it up and then really kick into it if you know what i mean

cheers
http://soundcloud.com/jgrrr
For the gearslutz:13.5 Macbook Pro, Ableton Live, Behringer DDM4000, Allen & Heath Xone K2 x 2, Novation Launchpad, Akai LPD8, KRK Rokit 5s, M-Audio Firewire, Vestax VCM 600, Alesis Q49 Keyboard, Sennheiser HD205s

outershpongolia

Re: getting that drop

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:00 am

GDOGG wrote:Anyone got any tips on how to get a really good drop on a tune, sort of progressive house build up and then release, i've got the hang of getting the tune going but still trying to figure out a good way to properly build it up and then really kick into it if you know what i mean

cheers

USUALLY I sit there and start laying down loops, and a lot of the time I'm buidling up the peak of the song..

So you have your drop first - then you need to subtract from what you've got in order to build up to this all out drop.

So basically write the drop and then use those elements to build up to it - easier said than done ;)

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:09 am

lots of fx, cutting out bass, tons of automation on release/cutoff/distortion etc

Check out -> http://www.groove3.com/str/producing-ho ... nt-fx.html for videos on all of that ;)

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 pm

a nice thing that I read on here once, is to resample some audio of the very first little bit (like, half a second) of your drop. Put this on an audio track of it's own, add a huge amount of completely wet reverb (however long you want your build to be) and then a few other bits and pieces (phase, flange etc) to taste. Then flatten the whole thing, reverse it, and line up the end of this audio sample with the start of your drop, cropping off the "end" (the bit with the original sound).

The whole "reverse reverb" thing creates some nice tension and builds the intensity, while the fact it's from the original drop keeps it nice and smooth and fits in with the feel of the track. That's the idea, anyway. :) In conjunction with some nice drum builds, and the other tricks mentioned, it can work really well.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Cezband wrote:a nice thing that I read on here once, is to resample some audio of the very first little bit (like, half a second) of your drop. Put this on an audio track of it's own, add a huge amount of completely wet reverb (however long you want your build to be) and then a few other bits and pieces (phase, flange etc) to taste. Then flatten the whole thing, reverse it, and line up the end of this audio sample with the start of your drop, cropping off the "end" (the bit with the original sound).

The whole "reverse reverb" thing creates some nice tension and builds the intensity, while the fact it's from the original drop keeps it nice and smooth and fits in with the feel of the track. That's the idea, anyway. :) In conjunction with some nice drum builds, and the other tricks mentioned, it can work really well.

only problem is that we have heard the huge reverb trick now around 20768 times
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:04 pm

3phase wrote: only problem is that we have heard the huge reverb trick now around 20768 times
Last time I checked it was closer to 31435 :) but like I said, in conjunction with other (maybe more original) tricks, and assuming your song is good enough anyway, it can definitely help. And if it's a trick you don't know about, then what's the harm in adding it to your arsenal whether you use it or not?
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Cezband wrote:
3phase wrote: only problem is that we have heard the huge reverb trick now around 20768 times
Last time I checked it was closer to 31435 :) but like I said, in conjunction with other (maybe more original) tricks, and assuming your song is good enough anyway, it can definitely help. And if it's a trick you don't know about, then what's the harm in adding it to your arsenal whether you use it or not?
no harm but overused tricks can banalize other good ideas.. in the end its about arrangement.. i opt for live run offs and edits of them .. performed builduos and breakdowns are usually way better than the block moving 0815 type..

ad in the end of the day modern dj´sactually like to do theese things themself.. so when its enough for you to just have a tool and not a hit yu dont need to arrange at all

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:41 pm

3phase wrote:i opt for live run offs and edits of them .. performed builduos and breakdowns are usually way better than the block moving 0815 type..
Please elaborate, because it sounds like here you're answering the original question of how to make a really good build-up and drop by saying that the dj/producer should perform a build-up and breakdown...how would you perform it, in a way that does not make it banal? What do you mean by live run offs - do you mean as part of a dj set or in terms of producing an individual song? Genuinely interested, I like new ideas. :)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Cezband wrote:
3phase wrote:i opt for live run offs and edits of them .. performed builduos and breakdowns are usually way better than the block moving 0815 type..
Please elaborate, because it sounds like here you're answering the original question of how to make a really good build-up and drop by saying that the dj/producer should perform a build-up and breakdown...how would you perform it, in a way that does not make it banal? What do you mean by live run offs - do you mean as part of a dj set or in terms of producing an individual song? Genuinely interested, I like new ideas. :)

its no new idea ..its the idea behind ableton live..evrythng else you can do with any other daw better..

just perform like having a mixing desk.. add remove percution..use send fx.. its called dub mixing..maybe google it

duro

Post by duro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:01 pm

What I've done a couple of time to some success is build up by adding more and more progressivly high engergy loops (this might just mean moving from more quarter notes to 16ths and so on and so forth) and then cut everything for a whole measure. Then BAM! Drop kick to the FACE.

DJ's may not like this, but any good one will be able to work with it.