installing Live on a 3rd machine?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cofane

installing Live on a 3rd machine?

Post by cofane » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:48 am

I understand that I can only use my serial # for Live 8 suite on 2 computers. My question is: Is there a way for me to install it on a 3rd computer but only keep 2 computers authorized at once? I have an iMac and 2 laptops. I wouldn't mind Deactivating one of the computers so that the other 2 could use Ableton. Is this possible? Is it possible to deauthorize Live on a computer on a Monday and re-authorize it on a wednesday without having to re-install the software etc?

Thanks in advance!
If it breakdances, does parkour and makes music it's probably me.

http://churchwilliams.com

dum

Re: installing Live on a 3rd machine?

Post by dum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:03 am

In a word...No.

heh.

When you authorise a machine, you've authorised it. There's no 'switch' type of system where you can de-activate it and re-activate it. If you de-activate, Re-activation means a new authorisation. Those are limited. Once you reach the limit, 3 I believe, you have to start emailing them for extras.

There is an unlock file created once you authorise, and I suppose you could 'deactivate' by re/moving that file. But...eh...that's a bit nonsensical in a way. Basically Ableton just have to take your word on it that it's 'deactivated' in that scenario.

It's also worth noting that whilst you can install & authorise Live on two machines - you can only use one at a time. So...

At the end of the day if you want results or a solid answer one way or the other you need to email support@ableton.com

I personally think they're unlikely to go for it. If I worked in support I would politely decline your request, unless you were a smoking hot chick in which case I'd make an exception.

and if you don't know already, you can open and perform with live sets in demo mode. It's just the saving that's disabled...
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

cofane

Post by cofane » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:28 am

dum wrote:Once you reach the limit, 3 I believe,
Thanks for your response dum. So you are saying that I can install Live on ALL 3 of my computers right now?

Also, I've been confused about the whole "one at a time" thing (only one instance of Ableton can be running). I've opened ableton on my laptop and iMac simultaneously several times and they both turn on. Is that normal? I guess I should count my blessings if not right?

dum

Post by dum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:43 am

cofane wrote:
dum wrote:Once you reach the limit, 3 I believe,
Thanks for your response dum. So you are saying that I can install Live on ALL 3 of my computers right now?
No, that's definitely not what I'm saying.
People maintain their computers in different ways, get new ones, upgrade hard-drives & motherboards, suffer crashes etc. This means from time to time you will need to re-install Live and thus use up another authorisation. The authorisation process is automated, so they have 3 (I believe) set aside for you to use up...after that you need to email them to request more.

You are ONLY licensed to have Live installed on two machines.

And yep, even though you have used Live simultaneously on both before - you are actually not licensed to do so. They can't physically stop you from doing this, but the reality is you are only licensed to use one instance at a time.

ark

Post by ark » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:29 pm

If you explain your situation to Ableton Support, they will probably do one of three things:

1) Tell you that the limit of two machines is firm and you have to buy Live again,

2) Offer to sell you a third authorization at a discount, or

3) Give you permission to authorize Live on three machines.

I have no idea which of these will happen, but I do think that if you are concerned about dealing honestly and avoiding trouble in the future, you are better off asking them about it now than later.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi, the correct email address for getting more unlocks is authorize@ableton.com. No, there is no way to de-authorize a machine, but we do offer additional unlocks where it's necessary - in your case, it sounds like it should be fine, as long as you aren't using Live on two or more of your computers at the same time or sharing it with others.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:22 pm

David Abravanel wrote:Hi, the correct email address for getting more unlocks is authorize@ableton.com. No, there is no way to de-authorize a machine, but we do offer additional unlocks where it's necessary - in your case, it sounds like it should be fine, as long as you aren't using Live on two or more of your computers at the same time or sharing it with others.
you cant use your lisence at two laptops at the same time, and this app is for live electronic music and djing, that is very funny

dum

Post by dum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:24 pm

flowdesigner wrote:
David Abravanel wrote:Hi, the correct email address for getting more unlocks is authorize@ableton.com. No, there is no way to de-authorize a machine, but we do offer additional unlocks where it's necessary - in your case, it sounds like it should be fine, as long as you aren't using Live on two or more of your computers at the same time or sharing it with others.
you cant use your lisence at two laptops at the same time, and this app is for live electronic music and djing, that is very funny

agreed.

Personally it makes more sense to license the usage to one soul at a time.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:40 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
flowdesigner wrote:you cant use your lisence at two laptops at the same time, and this app is for live electronic music and djing, that is very funny
Actually... You can use this software at the same time, but your license simply doesn't permit as such. But if there is an immediate (short) need you can, and I'm sure no one will mind.

What you're describing is the kind of behavior one gets when working with software protected by a dongle.
he's not talking about some quick job that needs doing in the studio, he's talking about performing with it.

we know we can breach the EULA - thanks for the tip :roll:

dum

Post by dum » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:52 pm

You've got to be shitting me.

He never said, or even overtly implied that it was solely for Live performance.

:roll: :roll:

arafel

Post by arafel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 am

Being able to have Live open on 2 machines simultaneously has been essential in the last week - so Thanks Ableton.

I've been transferring sets from an old machine to the new....
With plug updates, intel compatibility, OS compatibility,et al...being able to have Live open to check everything on both machines has been a godsend.

Eg, open a set on new machine... *crap used Atmosphere on this track.. open set on old machine.. check plugin settings.. recreate patch on new machine in Omni... check the sound... Save updated set. Repeat. Total Breeze.

This is in stark contrast to the old pita Dongle days of Logic...quit, unplug, replug, restart open logic project.. check the track that would not open, write everything down,,, quit, unplug, replug, restart logic on dif machine... recreate plug chain & settings... listen, quit, unplug, replug, restart logic on old machine.. .listen check sound.. done.
ugggg
Live wins again. :D
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

cofane

Post by cofane » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:51 pm

ShelLuser wrote:To answer the OP; yes, there is a way to use it on 3 computers while only having 2 authorized; by simply installing the demo and using that one with your setup. It allows you to do everything to your material you want to, except saving.
So, if I have Live installed on 2 machines already I can do a FULL SUITE INSTALL AND get the latest update on a 3rd machine without ever using up one of my authorizations? I understand that saving won't be possible. Will Live ever ask for any serial numbers or what not as it's installing?

cofane

Post by cofane » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
cofane wrote:So, if I have Live installed on 2 machines already I can do a FULL SUITE INSTALL AND get the latest update on a 3rd machine without ever using up one of my authorizations?
A full Suite demo install.

But yes, that is totally correct. During installation Live will not ask you anything about serial numbers or ask you to authorize the product. It will of course mention that its started as a demo and as such doesn't allow you to save your work (iirc it does so in a pop up window during startup and by providing a yellow or orange bar at the bottom).

Its also a tip Ableton themselves present artists; always keep a cd with a demo version around. If disaster does strike you can install the demo, put your material onto it and then you can perform without hassle.

I've been doing this myself for a short time on my laptop. Even though it is my 2nd computer I don't use it often enough to warrant an authorization. So I've been using the demo version on it for whenever I got bored while being on the road (nothing music related).

Oh, okay great! will the demo version permit software updates? eg- If I install suite demo on my laptop today will it allow me to get the latest update (8.2.1) without every authorizing the software?

501dubz

Post by 501dubz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:52 am

Dunno if the stuff that's been said in this thread still holds up to Ableton's current policy but here's how it panned out for me.

I have two laptops and a studio pc and Im always on the go with either of the laptops and I need them for different reasons in different occasions but anyhow I'd like to be able to write some music when I'm traveling regardless of which computer I have with me. So I read about the 2 computer license limit and emailed Ableton about considering to making an exception as implied by Ableton David in this thread.

Ableton's short answer was that NO its not possible under the current license for me to authorize all three and if I want to use a third computer I need to re-buy the software. Contrary to what Ableton David here says, there is no ground for "reasonable assessment" and the rule is strict. However, Ableton is kind enough to give me a discount when I buy a second license for the Suite (ie. 50 % off which amounts probably to around 300 EUR).

I need the laptops for different reasons and I cant always bring both just because I may or may not have 45 minutes off on the train/bus/aeroplane. Needless to say, the 2 computer policy in my situation seems a bit arbitrary.

Oh well... :|

markushans

Post by markushans » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 am

so... I understand that Ableton doesn't allow the authorization on a 3rd computer. but if you try will it work? are there any repercussions? Its been a few years since the last few responses, hoping some new insight might give a straight forward answer.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
:idea: