guess who's secretly been making inst hip-hop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ScholarlyGent

guess who's secretly been making inst hip-hop?

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Pete Clark After Dark, and it's fly as hell. You might even say "jazzy." Go ahead, say it!

Actually I'm looking for some constructive feedback, if anyone feels so inclined.

http://soundcloud.com/pete-clark-after-dark

crofter

Re: guess who's secretly been making inst hip-hop?

Post by crofter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Anything that hasn't got some cunt ranting on over the top is good in my book, nice stuff.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Really good music. It's the direction that I'm interested in going. Hard to add anything constructive but I'll give some it more plays. If it's okay asking is it just you and how much is the music played. I guess the progression would be a trio in a club with combination of instruments and midi controllers. Lowtide at Dusk is probably my favorite.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:28 pm

chaibuka wrote:Really good music. It's the direction that I'm interested in going. Hard to add anything constructive but I'll give some it more plays. If it's okay asking is it just you and how much is the music played. I guess the progression would be a trio in a club with combination of instruments and midi controllers. Lowtide at Dusk is probably my favorite.
Thanks mayne! I appreciate that a lot.

Its all me aside from those two jazz chop-ups (Canoe and Brew and Short Strokin) where part of each track is a chopped up jazz track and the other part is my own percussion/key/synth work. On all the others I do guitar, keys, drums, production, the whole nine. Just me, a lap top, a controller, a few guitars, a sleeping baby, and a neglected wife. Never played any of it live though. That would a hell of a lot of fun to try to put together but unfortunately my life-style/real job (see Metro to the Pentagon) doesnt really facilitate live performance. In the next six months I will have lived in five different places. :cry: In fact, I've been doing this for years and until now, no one other than myself and my wife have heard any of this. I've got loooads of stuff like this just sitting on my hard drive. Figured I might as well share it. Thanks again for the kind words! Send me some of your tracks when you find that direction your looking for.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm in about same situation. 49 years old, full time job, wife asking when I'll ever fix up the house. Going out live is mostly my guitar instructors advice for myself. He says I would improve faster and avoid a canned sound. I seldom go to live shows anyway. A few guys in a studio with similar taste in music would be nice. You already got some decent skills, maybe just push the envelope, add even more energy. I spend lots of time listening and looking for music that I could extract and then build upon. Lately I've been checking out "Johnny Guitar Watson". Anyhow, keep up the good work.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:57 am

chaibuka wrote: maybe just push the envelope, add even more energy.
Thanks brother, I truly appreciate the advice. Its funny, no matter what my original intentions are, my stuff always comes out super "smoove" in the end. I've got some repressed inner smoove-ness that just can't be contained I guess... going around pouring alizé on all my tracks. I did drive a 64 impala between the years of 1999 and 2003. That might have something to do with this.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 am

guess who's secretly been making hip-hop?
I dunno. Susan Boyle ?

;)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:08 pm

leedsquietman wrote:
guess who's secretly been making hip-hop?
I dunno. Susan Boyle ?

;)
how'd you know!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVeb6EIB ... re=related

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Nice tunes! Great, musical songs!

One one bit of constructive feedback (since you asked) would be to utilize velocity for your drums. In particular what I am referring to is the kicks on the second or third one down. Adjust the velocity of the 2nd one (or vice versa) to make it a little quieter (maybe 10-20 vel). Little things like this or varying the velocity on hihats go a long way.

Gonna check out more!

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:38 pm

contakt321 wrote:Nice tunes! Great, musical songs!

One one bit of constructive feedback (since you asked) would be to utilize velocity for your drums. In particular what I am referring to is the kicks on the second or third one down. Adjust the velocity of the 2nd one (or vice versa) to make it a little quieter (maybe 10-20 vel). Little things like this or varying the velocity on hihats go a long way.

Gonna check out more!
Thanks Contakt! Thats some very good advise. Its easy to overlook how the little details can have such an impact on the big picture. I'll give that a try. Much appreciated.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Hey all. I just put up a bunch of new stuff on sound cloud. Some new instrumental hip-hop tracks but a bunch of other stuff as well.