coming out of the closet....

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
malutki

coming out of the closet....

Post by malutki » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:40 pm

...as i am very tempted to buy an

iPod touch.

Is there a way to just copy my mp3s onto it?
or do i have to use fricking iTunes and convert them all?

thank you for bestowing your knowledge upon me :!:
I'm going home

djsynchro

Re: coming out of the closet....

Post by djsynchro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Consider a Zune, the manly alternative.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 pm

honestly, unless you're really going to be doing editing on it, an 120/160gig ipod will do wonders for your sample library endeavors and inspire you to appreciate itunes cataloging and auditioning abilities.

but if the touch came in even an 80gig size I'd be all over it

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 pm

A magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Where do you want to go today?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Apple has those puppies pretty locked down. When you buy them they own you and iTunes needs to own part of your hard drive... and Quicktime will launch at startup regardless of any efforts to avoid that and still use iTunes.

If you're used to drag and drop with Windows OS friendly MP3 players... you will be disappointed.

fwiw I have a Sanza Fuze and it works really well. it even takes an SD card so its expandable and about half the price or less than an iPod. plug and play, drag and drop. no stops, no shops.

in all fairness though... i do use my old iPod's ear buds on it. they sound better than the ones that came with it (about 3 or 4 years ago).
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:26 am

but what's the largest size storage you can use with it and how much more would that cost?
I got my 120gig outta craigslist for 90bucks, it plays movies (tutorials), pictures, lets me carry a large sample library and crates at all times that's listenable and allows for some rudimentary organizing from the ipod itself. plus the battery last forever. on my puter I just tell all vid clips to open with vlc and it works, never use quicktime. and on top of that you've got great drag n drop from itunes.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 am

^ you've got a valid point on storage... the biggest one i've seen is 16 gigs, that plus the largest SD card still probably falls short of the mark yours is setting, but i've never liked iTunes. Even when i was using a Mac and still interested in the hype. my first player on a computer was MusicMatch Jukebox and to this day i have found nothing that beats it IMO. everybody has their own wants/needs. me, i just hate the way Apple/iTunes decides for you. i'm not a fan of that. never have been. their products are solid though. no doubt. its the model that makes me ill.

on another note... you rap? or know anyone that does (conscious style)... without a permanent gig?? shoot me a PM. i'm still interested in the what you've been dabblin at... holla!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:31 pm

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Usually when somebody is mad about how iTunes manages their library it's because they don't understand it or are trying to over think and over control what is going on with their files. Once they see how it works they generally agree it's the best way to do things. Things like sample libraries just take a little tagging effort on your part once the file structure is understood.

Still doesn't change the fact that iTunes runs like poop on Windows machines though.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:41 am

beats me wrote:Usually when somebody is mad about how iTunes manages their library it's because they don't understand it or are trying to over think and over control what is going on with their files. Once they see how it works they generally agree it's the best way to do things. Things like sample libraries just take a little tagging effort on your part once the file structure is understood.

Still doesn't change the fact that iTunes runs like poop on Windows machines though.
+1 on both statements. now if itunes would not store it's library information outside of the actual managed music folders it would be perfect (as i could use it over the network for multiple systems, then).

perfect, except for being dog-slow on any pc. it runs terrible on the netbook of my gf (buy a cd? after downloading, it stalls the cpu at 100% for up to 20 minutes analyzing the audio, making it unusubable during that time (i bet it's for genius, which is actually disabled)). it has multiple seconds to start up on an i5 on an ssd. no app has >1 sec on this system (most are opened instantly). this software sure is crap in a lot of ways. but great for managing it is.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 am

malutki wrote:Is there a way to just copy my mp3s onto it?
it just works.