How do you make your kicks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: How do you make your kicks?

Post by friend_kami » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:31 pm

MPGK wrote:
friend_kami wrote:i left my leg, and aim with my foot.
how do you do yours?
I right my leg.

lift, obviously. :roll:

BoxDJ

Post by BoxDJ » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:53 am

Farting into a mic and repitching and equing it.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:21 am

dammit. you beat me to the poop joke. that was my intention coming back to the thread, and the most recent post is about pooping. You rock.!

If a cracked out raver gnome farts in the woods, does it make a sound>?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

evon

Post by evon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:I've made kicks in numerous ways, but recently I've been playing around with using Operator to provide a nice impulse/attack noise and then Corpus to provide the ringing body tones. The advantage here lies mainly in being able to adjust the harmonic content, which is quite hard to synthesize otherwise. I mean that odd way that the resonant part of a drum decay can detune into many complex harmonic related voices. This is a one-dial operation in Corpus.

Of course, after that I plop a Saturator and a mild compressor, the compressor is only occasionally used in order to bring out the initial punch (using a long attack)
See what I mean..freak :roll:
fe real!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks
I think
:?

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:Thanks
I think
:?
don't listen to those sample-stealers :) they have to rely on freaks like you to provide the kicks :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Heh, If something is taken and used well, I think that's a good thing.
Outcome is all that matters.

Although if the outcome is weak uncreative guff, it's not good in that case.
:)

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Angstrom wrote:Heh, If something is taken and used well, I think that's a good thing.
Outcome is all that matters.

Although if the outcome is weak uncreative guff, it's not good in that case.
:)
nothing against using pre-existing stuff. but this topic is about how to "make your kicks". not about how to "take some kicks and mix them up in a new way". both are valid and important. but the ones using existing kicks somehow have to get them. and there is the freaks purpose, doing it's tweaks all night long to actually create those samples.

it's like "how do you make that delicious soup?" "well, i buy it at the store, then warm it up".
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:31 pm

I accidentally just stumbled on a new way of making them. I swept a bandpass filter from high to low really quickly on some white noise and I heard a bassy thump. So I loaded some noise into simpler and played around with a bandpass + filter envelopes and was surprised to hear some kickdrums come out of it (only works with a really high resonance). They don't sound that great, but I thought it was pretty cool.

ps: Thanks to the previous posters for the tips.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 am

Dr. Fluffenstein wrote:I accidentally just stumbled on a new way of making them. I swept a bandpass filter from high to low really quickly on some white noise and I heard a bassy thump. So I loaded some noise into simpler and played around with a bandpass + filter envelopes and was surprised to hear some kickdrums come out of it (only works with a really high resonance). They don't sound that great, but I thought it was pretty cool.

ps: Thanks to the previous posters for the tips.

Thats because, on high resonances, the bandpass is nearing to a Sine Wave due to the Oscillation on the corner frequency. Of course this sound then depends on the filters characteristics. The Idea of making kicks out of high resonant filters was mentioned here already, and is also used in the TR-808, where the filter is self-oscillating and providing the sinoid waveform.

THe interesting thing about your idea is, that one might have some additional noise there if the filter is not fully self oscillating, giving the sound aome extra color. I think I will try it!
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!