ClyphX – Utility script for Live 8 and 9 (and Live 7 too)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pwdm

Re: ClyphX – simple (and free), Clip-based scripting language

Post by pwdm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 pm

transology wrote:about deleting a clip: I guess a simple UNDO would do it 8)
I need a full delete in my set.
Facebook
Novation Nio, Novation Remote SL, Korg Padkontrol, Waldorf Blofeld, CME UF5, Ableton Live8, Max4Live, BCR2k, Akai APC20.

flippo

Post by flippo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:19 pm

metastatik wrote:^^Good to hear and sorry for the initial difficulty. I’ve never hosted *.alps before so there were some variables involved I wasn’t aware of.
Just wondering, is it possible to delete clips via remote scripts do you think?
I’m not sure of a way of doing this via the API unfortunately. It might be possible to set up an action that can launch an external script (like an AppleScript or AutoHotKey script) that can do the delete though. I’ll see what I can do on this.
cheers mate!

ever tried to undo something after twisting some faders? sitting there pressing ctrl+Z for 10 minuets isn't fun! hehe.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm

pwdm wrote:
I need a full delete in my set.

that would have been rather something dedicated controlers should be able to do.
content creation and elimintaion via remote belong together..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:51 am

Wonderful, Stray! You rock :)

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:14 pm

ClyphX v1.0.2 is available now at the same LINK. A bunch of new actions have been added such as Clip Cue actions, Clip Note editing actions and Looper actions. The new version also allows you to define dedicated Launch buttons for controlling your X-Clips.

I don’t have any news to report on a delete action unfortunately. I don’t see a way of doing that without using keystrokes or menu selections and there doesn’t appear to be a way of doing either directly via the API. I haven’t given up on it yet though.

mjc1970

Post by mjc1970 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Sorry for the total noob question here. I searched, but was unable to find anything. I'm unable to get this to work after following the directions. What is the difference between 'playing' a midi clip, and 'launching' a midi clip, and how is this done? I think that may be where my problem lies.

Thanks in advance for any help.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Launching is the state a clip is in upon triggering it, before it starts playing. Depending on your quantization settings, the clip’s play button should flash when the clip has been launched.

mjc1970

Post by mjc1970 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Thank you for the reply. I understand that. This is where I'm confused. In the manual for ClyphX it states 'Upon playing (not launching) the X-Clip, the actions of the script will be triggered.' I don't understand this statement.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 pm

It means that the actions won’t be triggered when you launch the X-Clip. The actions will be triggered when the X-Clip starts playing.

mjc1970

Post by mjc1970 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:00 am

Thank you very much for your responses. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I still can't get it to work.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 am

If you can give me some info on what you’re doing/what you’ve done so far, I’d be happy to give you a hand.

mjc1970

Post by mjc1970 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 am

Well I copied the Clyphx folder into the Midi Remote Scripts folder per the instructions. The I set the control surface to Clyphx, and left the input and output on none per the instructions. I've tried using the sample set that was included, and none of the xclips seem to do anything. I also tried doing one of my own from scratch, following the instructions, and I can't get that to work either. I'm using Live 8.1.3, so I'm not sure why it's not working. Probably just a noob mistake on my part, but any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for the info. After selecting ClyphX as a control surface, do you see a colored border around the selected clip slot?

If not, then please email me or post your Log.txt file. The Troubleshooting section of the manual describes where to find Log.txt.

mjc1970

Post by mjc1970 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:51 am

Yes I do see a colored border around the selected clip.

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:21 am

In that case, load up the example set and try launching some of the included X-Clips. For example, try the 2nd X-Clip down, which (among other things) will turn the Metronome on. Then try the 3rd X-Clip down, which (among other things) will turn the Metronome off.

If you’re finding that not to be the case, please send me your Log.txt file.