no apc's in north america

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stonee

no apc's in north america

Post by stonee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:48 pm

apparently I have to wait till march to get an apc from my local music shop....

all the online stored are out. anyone know of anyone with apc's left in stock?

leedsquietman

Re: no apc's in north america

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:54 pm

I would wait. Such a production shortage makes me suspicious - either the product is going to be revamped and re-released better (and I wouldn't put it past AKAI to deflect and deny until NAMM in January and then announce the new shiny version, meaning you will kick yourself for buying an obsoleted version), or something was wrong with the ones out already which is requiring a new part that is in short supply, meaning the product should be more reliable when it becomes available again.

I've never known a product be unavailable for months without there being something major behind it.

Either way - I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy an APC40 right now, in spite of the awesomeness of the device etc. I would hold out until the new year, wait to see if anything is announced at NAMM, if yes, get the new machine, if not, wait for the APC40 to get back into production with whatever it's taken them so long to fix.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I would wait. Such a production shortage makes me suspicious - either the product is going to be revamped and re-released better (and I wouldn't put it past AKAI to deflect and deny until NAMM in January and then announce the new shiny version, meaning you will kick yourself for buying an obsoleted version), or something was wrong with the ones out already which is requiring a new part that is in short supply, meaning the product should be more reliable when it becomes available again.

I've never known a product be unavailable for months without there being something major behind it.

Either way - I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy an APC40 right now, in spite of the awesomeness of the device etc. I would hold out until the new year, wait to see if anything is announced at NAMM, if yes, get the new machine, if not, wait for the APC40 to get back into production with whatever it's taken them so long to fix.
this

martinkellogs

Re: no apc\'s in north america

Post by martinkellogs » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:33 pm

edited
Last edited by martinkellogs on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

stonee

Post by stonee » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:53 pm

thanks squeltch, but I'm really trying to find a source within canada. I've have bad experiences with customs before ( had a bike that got held, then never showed up)

leeds, you sound smart and make a good point, i think I'm going to wait now.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 pm

There is also the possibility that the new model will be worse than the previous model. So it can be smart to wait for some in-depth reviews to come in before rushing out to buy the latest model. This might also mean that you can pick up the original model used for an even better price.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:18 pm

i think its more likely to be a scam to sell more apc20's wich without looking i would take a guess are readily available everywhere.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Stonee: So fucking what? honestly, come on.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:40 am

Just get a Launchpad. They're funner anyways (and cheaper...and available)

I sold my APC after owning it for a month or two. Got a LP & was 8) since. Smaller. USB powered. And did I mention smaller?

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:07 am

squelcht wrote:Just get a Launchpad. They're funner anyways (and cheaper...and available)

I sold my APC after owning it for a month or two. Got a LP & was 8) since. Smaller. USB powered. And did I mention smaller?
It just perks.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:17 am

Canada is hardly all of north america, infact no one cares about canada.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 am

People from the USA have said the same thing about availability, hence the term NORTH AMERICA (which includes the USA, Canada and Mexico in case you weren't aware), smartass :wink:

The Launchpad might be 'funner' but it doesn't offer the same functionality in the same way, yes if you have other controllers which provide knobs and faders you might find it a better option.

The conspiracy theory about the APC20 is interesting, and stranger things have happened ...
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:29 pm

leedsquietman wrote:People from the USA have said the same thing about availability, hence the term NORTH AMERICA (which includes the USA, Canada and Mexico in case you weren't aware), smartass :wink:

The Launchpad might be 'funner' but it doesn't offer the same functionality in the same way, yes if you have other controllers which provide knobs and faders you might find it a better option.

The conspiracy theory about the APC20 is interesting, and stranger things have happened ...
I went to Guitar Center to pick up my Akai MPK88 and asked them how many units they have in their stores. He said they have 11 APC 40's in their store and 248 in the south East region. 15 APC 20's instore and 489 in the region. So no.... I don't think there is anything behind it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm

Digital_Damage wrote:
leedsquietman wrote:People from the USA have said the same thing about availability, hence the term NORTH AMERICA (which includes the USA, Canada and Mexico in case you weren't aware), smartass :wink:

I went to Guitar Center to pick up my Akai MPK88 and asked them how many units they have in their stores. He said they have 11 APC 40's in their store and 248 in the south East region. 15 APC 20's instore and 489 in the region. So no.... I don't think there is anything behind it.
Just goes to show that people are more comfortable assuming there's a continent wide shortage than having to buy anything from Guitar Center. :D