Connecting midi controllers through USB. PROBLEM! HELP!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balance_productions

Connecting midi controllers through USB. PROBLEM! HELP!

Post by balance_productions » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:13 pm

I have a novation 25 mkii which has midi in,out,through but is currently hooked up through USB and it works great so I tried to hook up my brothers yamaha synthesizer which has only USB connection and ableton does not recognize it as a controller. Anyone know how to send midi thru USB into ableton using a Yamaha PSR E413?

Tone Deft

Re: Connecting midi controllers through USB. PROBLEM! HELP!

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:16 pm

not readily.

maybe you can use a 'Custom MIDI Script' google that term. found this article on the web

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/07/a ... s-control/

it's for a different device but that site does great writeups.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

MarcAaron

Post by MarcAaron » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:28 am

If all else fails, there are MIDI-to-USB adapters. I use one to connect my old faithful Korg Poly800 to a Windows XP Pro system. The Poly800 was born more than a decade before USB was invented so I use a Cakewalk MIDI-to-USB adapter to connect the controller (the Korg) MIDI-out to a USB port on my computer.

If I'm reading the PSR E413's specs correctly though, I don't understand why its USB output isn't being recognized by Ableton. You're connecting the E413 from USB out into a USB port on your computer, right? Not passing it through the Novation? My 2nd keyboard, an M-Audio Axiom 49, is connected to my computer via a USB cable and Live recognized it from the moment I plugged it in.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 am

MarcAaron wrote:If all else fails, there are MIDI-to-USB adapters.
The Novation will serve as a MIDI-USB adaptor. Just plug the MIDI out of the Yamaha into the MIDI in of the Novation. In the Novation's Global menu, set MIDI In to: "U" (U stands for USB). The Novation will now act as a MIDI interface for the Yamaha.

balance_productions

Post by balance_productions » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:03 am

Wow, I feel stupid. There is a computer mode that I thought the keyboard had to be in.... Nope. You just plug it in and away it goes play a full range of operator or whatever vsti I have plugged in. It's good to know that some of you guys care though. Easy as pie. Don't worry I got plenty of good questions up my sleeve. hehe :?