APC40 - problem of Live not recognising?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
stealthbopper

APC40 - problem of Live not recognising?

Post by stealthbopper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:38 pm

I have previously had my APC40 up and running with Live 8 but now it seems not to recognise it (no red box around the scenes, no functionality).

In Live Preferences, APC40 is shown along with the other Control Surfaces that I have used (M-Audio MidAir, Novation SL37 & I have recently been using a Nocturn) but in MIDI Ports below, the APC40 details are shown in a different colour - indicating no function or a problem?

I have tried all that I could think of including restarting but to no avail.

Earlier, I had a Behringer AB200 footswitch connected to the APC40 FS1 and FS2 connections with a view to trying out foot control (didn't get it going) so I'm wondering whether I have upset something in the APC40 by trying it out (switching on/off on the footswitch, etc - the Behringer appears over complex for what it does or perhaps it's not the right switch for the job..?). If so do I need to 're-set' the APC40 somehow?

All suggestions most welcome and appreciated. Many thanks
http://www.soundcloud.com/stealthbopper
Mac OS X 10.6.8, Saffire Pro14, M-Audio MidAir25, APC40, Novation SL37 & Launchpad, Alesis M1 Active Mk2

[nis]

Re: APC40 - problem of Live not recognising?

Post by [nis] » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:46 pm

If the MIDI ports are orange, it means that a different application is blocking them. This might be the Automap software which is running in the background. Right-click on the Automap logo in your system tray to open the Automap options and make sure that the APC's MIDI ports are not used by Automap.

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

stealthbopper

Post by stealthbopper » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Many thanks for your quick response Nico. That's very useful - I wasn't aware of the meaning of the colour change.

I have set both the MIDI Output Port and MIDI Input Port in Automap to 'Off' and this seems to have effectively unblocked Live's MIDI Output Port for the APC40 (no longer orange and now as the others). However, the MIDI Input Port for the APC40 is still orange and Live isn't recognising the APC40 yet.

Presumably something else (an application) is blocking it still? Are there any other likely culpits? Thanks
http://www.soundcloud.com/stealthbopper
Mac OS X 10.6.8, Saffire Pro14, M-Audio MidAir25, APC40, Novation SL37 & Launchpad, Alesis M1 Active Mk2

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Hmmm...that's strange indeed. Can you send me your "log.txt" file to support@ableton.com? You can find it the following way:

1. go to Live's "Help" menu
2. choose "Get Support"
3. click "SHOW the preferences folder" (at the right)

This opens the folder which contains the log.txt file.

Please send the email to my attention (just put my name into the email's subject line).

Best,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

garbo196

Post by garbo196 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi,

I am having the same problem. I dont know why but I think it could be a windows 7 problem. I am using a Toshiba laptop and windwos 7. I have had the APC 40 for a year and a half now and still have not got it to work.....at all.
It appears in abletons preferences, but the midi ports are orange. I am not using any other midi controller either. I have been told that the orange ports mean that the inpu and outputs midi ports are in use by another application. I cant find any other application that is usinf midi ports. This is so frustrating.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 am

mines broke now too.

i dont have any other guff going. I should just plug it in and hear 'bing bong'. nothing happens but that bloody snake.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi, have you looked under Preferences->MIDI? Do you have the APC40 set up as a control surface there?

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 pm

yeah course.

what I am saying is. I plug it in and the computer does not recognise that anything has happened. usually it goes bingbong like the soundcard does or when i plug my phone in.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:01 pm

So you're saying the APC40 doesn't appear at all on your machine, when you look at recognized external or MIDI devices? Or is it just in Live that it's not appearing?

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:47 pm

the_antagonist wrote:not at all
In that case, you'll want to get in touch with Akai technical support: http://www.akaipro.com/

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:38 pm

WÀy ahead of you. They don't respond as fast as ableton

alex1fly

Post by alex1fly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 am

i have a similar issue occasionally with my apc40 into a usb hub and into my macbook. its a crude method, but i just unplug the usb cord and plug it back in.

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:20 am

alex1fly wrote:i have a similar issue occasionally with my apc40 into a usb hub and into my macbook. its a crude method, but i just unplug the usb cord and plug it back in.
This could also be related to what else you have in the USB hub. What other devices do you have plugged in to the hub? And is it a powered hub? The APC40 isn't bus-powered, but if other devices are, then that could be an issue.

League

Post by League » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:21 pm

stealthbopper wrote:I have previously had my APC40 up and running with Live 8 but now it seems not to recognise it (no red box around the scenes, no functionality).

In Live Preferences, APC40 is shown along with the other Control Surfaces that I have used (M-Audio MidAir, Novation SL37 & I have recently been using a Nocturn) but in MIDI Ports below, the APC40 details are shown in a different colour - indicating no function or a problem?

I have tried all that I could think of including restarting but to no avail.

Earlier, I had a Behringer AB200 footswitch connected to the APC40 FS1 and FS2 connections with a view to trying out foot control (didn't get it going) so I'm wondering whether I have upset something in the APC40 by trying it out (switching on/off on the footswitch, etc - the Behringer appears over complex for what it does or perhaps it's not the right switch for the job..?). If so do I need to 're-set' the APC40 somehow?

All suggestions most welcome and appreciated. Many thanks

Hey I'm not sure if Im too late to respond, but that just happen to me. My solution was unplugged my synth midi cable and done....is working again. So check all your usb ports.